Zotero upgrade crashing Microsoft Word

13»
  • edited February 19, 2018
    I am also experiencing this issue, running Word 2013 (15.0.4997.1000) with the Zotero add-in version 5.0.8.SA.5.0.35.1.

Word just crashes intermittently and I can't see any pattern whatsoever. The Windows event is below:

Log Name: Application
    Source: Application Error
    Date: 19/02/2018 2:50:21 p.m.
    Event ID: 1000
    Task Category: (100)
    Level: Error
    Keywords: Classic
    User: N/A
    Computer: *redacted*
    Description:
    Faulting application name: WINWORD.EXE, version: 15.0.4997.1000, time stamp: 0x5a2f8225
    Faulting module name: wwlib.dll, version: 15.0.4997.1000, time stamp: 0x5a2f8218
    Exception code: 0xc0000005
    Fault offset: 0x00f5c10d
    Faulting process id: 0x550
    Faulting application start time: 0x01d3a923daceacc8
    Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office15\WINWORD.EXE
    Faulting module path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office15\wwlib.dll
    Report Id: 3deb36db-1517-11e8-b4a0-4c3488d379bb
    Event Xml:

0x80000000000000

Application
    *redacted*

WINWORD.EXE
    5a2f8225
    wwlib.dll
    5a2f8218
    c0000005
    00f5c10d
    01d3a923daceacc8
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office15\WINWORD.EXE
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office15\wwlib.dll
    3deb36db-1517-11e8-b4a0-4c3488d379bb

Can anyone shed light on what might be happening here? Is there any way I can get output from Zotero to help diagnose the issue?

Regards,
    Andrew
  • @AlxTa could you isolate a snippet of a document (either by creating it from an empty document or copying from an existing one) in which there exists:

1. A location in which inserting citations is fine
    2. A location in which inserting citations produces a crash

Could you annotate the snippet in such a way that we could find these locations, test once again to ensure that the behaviour is still consistent after annotation and send it over to support@zotero.org with a link to this thread?

Also, could you provide the specifics of your software: version of Windows and specific version of Word?
  • edited April 13, 2018
    I just want to let you know Adam, the newer builds were working briefly, but have gone back to crashing on every footnote insertion. I've gone back to Simons build.

Edit: Zotero updated itself several times recently, so I am not sure if the build got corrupted or what.
  • I am finding that the newer builds have been working OK but with intermittent crashing and then unable to enter a reference in the document location involved in the crash. I think it is worse with more than one document open.

Overall, this has been manageable with paranoid amounts of saving. But it is obviously not ideal especially with the spectre of how it will cope with a very large document on the horizon.
  • @csm007 Do you recall ever getting the crash with only a single Word document open?
  • I have had crashes with even a single Word document open (and the Zotero app).

Interestingly, after Word crashes, the insert window pops up for me to choose the citation from my database. When word re-starts I have the {citation} place holder, but if I chose one in the pop-up window it gives me an error, and if I try and edit the {citation} it tells me I need to have a zotero citation to edit it.
  • Do you get any kind of Word crash report? If you do, could you paste that in a gist on gist.github.com and send a link to support@zotero.org with a link to this thread?
  • @adomasven Yes sometimes just with one doc open. I don't think there is a crash report but will double check when it next happens.
  • No crash report generated here.
  • For those experiencing crashing:

Could you:
    1. Click on Start
    2. Type Event Viewer.
    3. Run Event Viewer
    5. In Windows Logs -> Applications find a few (at least 2) of these Word crash logs
    6. Copy the information from the General pane for these events and send it to support@zotero.org with a link to this thread?
  • I have sent some crash reports today.
  • edited May 10, 2018
    I went back to the other build - have had no issues. Zotero updated today and began crashing AGAIN. Am sending through the crash logs (I think I found the right ones!) (And am also going back to Simons build)
  • Does anyone experiencing this problem run a 64-bit version of Windows?
  • How do I know which one I am running? I do have both 32 and 64 in my program files - when I go to system it says "System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor" (is that what you mean?)
  • @legna thanks, yes, that's a 64-bit system
  • Can you tell me if there is a way to turn off updates? Everytime it auto updates it begins crashing again. I have a deadline and I'd rather use Simons build at least until I get these articles out the door.
  • Thanks Adam. I hope my crash reports are helpful - I am happy to re-test as you go along (well as soon as this article is done!)
  • Hi everyone!

I've been having the same problem with my word crashing.
    Can someone explain how to fix it with Simon's build?
    I downloaded it but I'm not sure what I need to do with it to get word to work with zotero again!
    Thanks!
  • @pveronika: This is an old thread — ignore the stuff about Simon's build — and we haven't had other reports of crashing lately. What version of Zotero and what (exact) version of Word are you using?
  • FWIW Adam - It may be an old thread, but I am STILL using Simons Build (which is why I have not reported crashing).
  • I'm not Adam, but we made changes months ago that we're hoping addressed the crashing that some people were seeing, so I'd recommend upgrading to the latest version and letting us know if you have trouble with that.