[feature request] Keep quicksearch while browsing in collections

Hello,

Presently, when I use the quick search field, the filter I've set is erased if I move from a collection to another. Consequently, I have to re-type my filter for every collection I browse (and in which I specifically want to quick search).

A (very) useful browsing enhancement would be to add a on/off button next to the quick search field, to keep the filter while browsing in collections.

Such a feature is for instance implemented in Thunderbird for long (see the button with the pin icon, at the left side of the filter panel in a mailbox). I use it several times a week to find a specific email between my different professional mailbox, when I can't remember who sent it to me.

Thanks !
  • This has been requested before, and I think it's reasonable, though I think we could do it as a checkbox in the search drop-down instead of as a separate button, particularly since most people will probably have a preferred mode and never change it.

Either way, it'd be a little more awkward in our case, because I think you'd want it to apply to the tag selector too, even though that's in a separate part of the UI. That might be an argument for a pin button over the menu, but given that the pin would still be next to the search bar, I'm not sure it matters.
  • edited February 5, 2018
    Thanks for seriously considering this proposition.

In my opinion, concerning the localisation of the button in the UI, each of both solutions has its advantages and inconveniences:

* in the search drop-down: it would be a less functional for ones who need to toggle it frequently (as myself). However, such a solution has the merit to hide the option for non-experimented users, who could be alarmed in not seeing their references after having accidentally checked the box. More over, such a solution make sense because it might open the way to other similar checkbox (for instance one to toggle the presently hidden 'recursive collections' option).

* over the menu: it would be more disturbing for non-experimented users (here, a solution could be to alert the user in highlighting in red the checkbox and the content of the search field). However, such a solution has the merit to provide a new full search feature which can be used for collections and tags.

So, there is no good or bad solution to implement it. There is only a choice about what you want such feature to be : a main one or a secondary one. For my self, both solution are fine even if, as an experimented and daily user, I much prefer the second one (a pin button over the menu).