Search in Zotero 5.x

Dear All:

I love the new zotero. However, the search sometimes does not work properly. Here's the use case:

1) I search for a term
2) The spinning wheel left to the search box appears
3) It takes a long time and nothing happens
4) When I hover with the mouse over the current papers shown in zotero, these papers disappear and the search results appear
5) However, when I double click on the search results, nothing happens
6) Current workaround: search for something else, and then search again for the term in step (1)

Anyone experiencing the same?

Thanks!
  • I could not reproduce this in 5.0.11. I tested with all three options in the search drop-down menu.

Is your indexing complete? See Preferences > Search.
    Does the behavior changes based on your selection in the search drop-down menu?
  • Thanks!

The index is complete, but I don't use full text search (i.e., Everything). I only use "All Fields & Tags". Also, this issue does occur very infrequently, but I experience it once or twice a week. I'll try to make a video next time it occurs and post it here.

Steve
  • Here is a video of the search behavior I described earlier: https://www.dropbox.com/s/syy2q5ppblt58eb/Zotero Search.flv?dl=0

What happens here is that zotero seems to have found the articles (the two articles in the list are what I was searching for!). But when I click on them, nothing happens (i.e., they're not selected in the right).

The previous papers shown in the list view seem still to be there (although invisible -- see how I hover over them with my mouse). The papers in the list (around 8) were showing before -- but when I hovered over them with the mouse the first time, they disappeared (I didn't get this on the video).

Lastly, the wheel spins for a solid 20 mins now -- as soon as I change the view and search again, I find the two papers in 5 seconds.

Thanks!
  • We'd want a Report ID after this occurs and before restarting Zotero — you're getting an error of some sort.

There's no difference between 20 seconds and 20 minutes here — it's just not going to work until you either switch away and back (maybe) or restart Zotero (definitely). But we'd need to see an error report to figure out what's happening.
  • Dan:

The issue just occurred again. This is the Report ID: 6830033. Thanks!
  • Hi there:

I was wondering if the Report ID was helpful in tracking down this issue? Thanks!
  • Are you still seeing this in 5.0.21?
  • edited September 25, 2017
    Well, I suspect so — https://forums.zotero.org/discussion/67795/browser-window-ui-errors-macos is the same issue, and that's on the current beta version.

So, unfortunately, no, we're still trying to reproduce this, and no one has managed to come up with reliable steps to reproduce it, so it's very difficult to debug. But we're still working on it.
  • If you could look into the questions I asked in that other thread, that might get us closer to figuring out what's going on here.