[5.0 Beta] "An error has occurred"

edited July 3, 2017
This discussion was created from comments split from: "an error has occurred ".
  • I am on 5.0, and I've been getting this same error message, with no errors reported in my database. This latest time, it appeared upon searching:

report ID 688946954

I have also seen it while simply browsing the collection window. I will report that context separately, if it happens again. Thanks!
  • (Moving to a new thread, since this wouldn't be related to errors in 4.0.)
  • Error ID: 969406375

This error was generated by a simple down-scroll in the main item list window, immediately at startup of Standalone. Thanks
  • [JavaScript Error: "Component returned failure code: 0x80470002 (NS_BASE_STREAM_CLOSED) [nsIConverterOutputStream.writeString]" {file: "chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/server.js" line: 514}]
    This is a strange one. If you can reproduce this, can you provide a Debug ID for it (using the "Enable after restart" option if it happens immediately at startup)?
  • (You can also leave debug output logging enabled and just submit it once the error occurs.)
  • Oh, wait, you have two threads going here:

https://forums.zotero.org/discussion/66291/firefox-connector-not-functioning

There's a good chance these are related — this error, which I can't recall seeing before, is occurring while responding to a request from the connector, and basically saying the connection was closed in the middle of it.

Does this happen if you use the Chrome connector, or just the Firefox one?
  • @dstillman from the other thread:
    I just installed chrome, and that connector works inside the BL and here.
  • Yeah, but I'm referring specifically to this error in Zotero — since MG6 reported it separately, I want to clarify whether it happens when Firefox is closed.
  • (In any case, we should obviously fix this so an error responding to the connector doesn't crash Zotero.)
  • I do have two threads. Having switching to the beta, I want to help improve it. I will save these instructions, turn on debugging, and see what happens.

If you would please confirm/expand on what you said to Adam: you want me to try using Standalone with Firefox closed, and Chrome open?

I can't remember which browsers I had open in the last reported incident, but I usually have Firefox (which I use for everything) open.

Thanks
  • PS: Possibly expand, because I don't understand if closing Firefox alone is enough, or if I have to uninstall the connector, also.
  • Actually, the main thing we need is still a Debug ID that shows this happening. The error in your error report is quite likely related to the Firefox issue, but it may not be related to this crash.
  • I was able to replicate the crash in one try. I enabled debugging on restart, and restarted with FF off, Chrome running.

The Debug ID is D1234037946

Perhaps I shouldn't have (?) but I captured the Report ID first: 599090782
  • PS: All I had to do was scroll and click on something in the main item pane, within My Library.
  • Does this only happen when you click on notes?
  • No. I recall it happening when I tried to drag a snapshot from one item to another, both new items with no notes. Sometimes when I expand an item to see sub-items, sometimes for seemingly no reason at all.
  • Are you able to generate a Debug ID for this on something other than a note?

We haven't seen any other reports of this, so something strange is happening here.
  • Does this happen with Zutilo disabled?
  • Zutilo has been disabled this whole time. It is installed.
  • It hasn't been disabled in any of the reports that you've submitted.
  • Sorry, that was wrong. I was mistakenly referring to the Firefox ext. I'll disable it in 5.0. But do you want me to debug with or without it? Or try both?
  • I'm not sure what you mean. I'm asking if the problem still happens with Zutilo disabled.
  • Sorry for the confusion. In answer to your last message, I was just asking you to clarify a bit, because you asked two questions in a row: first, about the notes, then about Zutilo.

As you can tell, I was momentarily confused about Zutilo. I have installed it on both Firefox and Standalone, but I forgot about the latter, and also that the Firefox one is redundant now. (I'm just not used to thinking that 5.0 has extensions. I get it.) It is now disabled on Standalone, and so far, I've had no crash errors. I'll keep you posted.

So then, about the notes: you're saying that my past reports indicate that the errors might have something to do with notes? Do you detect a pattern I could try to repeat? I didn't consciously repeat any actions. I was just clicking around, and I have a lot of notes.

As I mentioned once above, I clearly remember crashing Standalone at least once by dragging a screenshot from item to another, and neither of them had notes attached. (I did that just now, and nothing bad happened.)
  • PS: I'm still on 5.0-beta.227+b476c7c7c. I was just offered an update but declined.
  • If it doesn't happen when Zutilo is disabled, then nothing else is relevant (for our purposes) — so let's see what happens.
  • Fine with me; I don't really use it. I'll keep you posted. Thanks. (No effect on the other thing, btw.)