Original Date of Publication

• That's certainly true! This discussion thread is already 6 years old!
  • It worked "(Benedict, 1946/2006)". Thank you.
  • Hello...
    First off -- sorry to resurrect an old (but still living!) thread.
    Second -- thanks so much to everyone who makes Zotero happen! It's ten times better than any reference manager I've ever used.

Onto my question: I appreciate the workaround, but the issue I have is that I prefer to use the original date as the in-line reference date (in an author-date style), and only have the newer publication date appear in the bibliography -- preferably at the end.

E.g.
    In-line: Wittgenstein (1953) famously remarked...
    Biblio.: Wittgenstein, L. (1953). . . . [2009] London: Blackwell

Is this currently achievable with the workaround? Whenever I've tried, I get "Wittgenstein 2009/1953". I could enter the original date in the date field proper, and the new date in the workaround extra field, but it's going to be clumsy if things ever update. Moreover, I just prefer the simplicity of the original date in-text, and then readers can find the full details inc. original date in the biblio.

I'm happy to botch together a CSL style to make it work, too, if anyone has any suggestions!

Cheers

• Yes, you definitely would want to write a CSL style for this, not mess with your database. Copy the style you are editing here in a private gist here: http;//gist.github.com

and post a link on the forums. Given that your issue is not directly related to this thread, it would be a good idea to start a new thread.
  • Update:

As of Zotero 4.29.15, you can now use the following format in Extra to get original publication dates:

original-date: 1885

You no longer need the {} curly brackets.
  • I can not get this fix for original-date to work. I have tried at least 3 styles from the list provided, Chicago Manual of Style 16th edition (author-date), Harvard - Cranfield University. I have started a test document and experimented with every permutation I can think of and still it does not work. If I toggle the Field Code I can see the original-date in the field. Help, please...
  • what exactly are you trying? What item type, where are you looking, etc.?
  • actually -- hold that. In the field codes, do you see original data in the extra field, i.e. something like "note": "original-date: 1885" or do you see "original-date": "1885"? Only the latter is correct. If that's not what you're getting, which version of Zotero are you using?
  • It looks like the first option. I am using Standalone 4.0.29.10
  • The changed syntax, i.e. original-date: 1885, only works since 4.0.29.15. If the update isn't available for your setup yet (it's not on Windows and Linux, I believe), you'll either have to wait or temporarily use {:original-date: 1885}
  • Thank you adamsmith for that insight.

Using the convention{:original-date:} in association with Chicago (author-date) I can get the fix to deliver (Kant [1842] 1914) but it will not work with Harvard - Cranfield University for example although that is in the list...

It would be really helpful if Zotero displayed the current version and platforms on the home page or a least a direct link to the changelog...
    Cheers
  • the list is auto-generated by a not-super-sophisticated search. It may very well be that the variable is commented out in the Cranfield style or that it's used only for some item types etc.
  • I can't believe this is not fixed. It's a very important matter. Not being able to put in the original publication date alongside the version is what we call ahistorical citing. This is a serious issue because it leads to false assumptions about original authorship. Please get it fixed. Endnote is the only program supporting this cruzial feature. Not Mendeley, not Zotero...
  • edited January 14, 2017
    As stated several times in this thread, you can cite original publication dates by putting the information in the Extra field like this:
    original-date: 1867

If the style you are using supports Original Publication Dates (e.g., Chicago and APA styles do), Zotero will pick up this information from Extra and include it. If a style you need doesn't do so, let us know and we can look at it.

Dedicated fields in the Zotero interface are coming in Zotero 5.1. This (and other long-awaited revisions to Zotero item types and fields) were waiting on required technical changes to the database structure coming in Zotero 5.0 (currently in beta).
  • edited March 12, 2017
    Hi, I am not entirely sure whether I am in the right thread; my problem is this: I export my Zotero library to biblatex and then use the exported file as library for my latex documents (using APA citation/referencing style). Neither

{:original-date: 1885}
    nor
    original-date: 1885

work. What am I doing wrong? The point is: The line/information that LaTeX expects is

origdate = {1885}

but this is not what is exported in either case.

Who can help?
    Thanks!
  • I don't think Zotero's BibLaTeX export picks that up. Better BibTeX's does, though:
    https://github.com/retorquere/zotero-better-bibtex/wiki
  • Thanks, adamsmith, I will certainly look into this.
  • I use MLA and Chicago, but the "{:original-date:} workaround doesn't seem to have been implemented for MLA. Any chance of getting this done for MLA?

In Chicago, this original-date fix works relatively well for books, but not for book sections or journal articles.

For book sections, the original date appears in the wrong place.

I get this with Chicago (note and full-note):
    Balázs, Béla. “The Future of Film.” In The Film Factory: Russian and Soviet Cinema in Documents 1896-1939, edited by Richard Taylor and Ian Christie, translated by Richard Taylor, 144–45. 1926. Reprint, London: Routledge, 1988.

Instead of this:
    Balázs, Béla. “The Future of Film.” 1926. In The Film Factory: Russian and Soviet Cinema in Documents 1896-1939, edited by Richard Taylor and Ian Christie, translated by Richard Taylor, 144–45. Reprint, London: Routledge, 1988.
    [1926 now in the right place --- it's the section of the book that was published in 1926, not the whole book. Which also means that the word 'Reprint' is not helpful since it's the article that has reprinted in this book, not the whole book that has been reprinted.]

For journal articles, the original date just doesn't appear at all:
    I get this:
    Adorno, Theodor W. “Transparencies on Film.” Translated by Thomas Y. Levin. New German Critique 24/25 (1982): 199–205.
    When I want this:
    Adorno, Theodor W. “Transparencies on Film.” 1967. Translated by Thomas Y. Levin. New German Critique 24/25 (1982): 199–205.
    As per this model provided in CMOS 16th edition, 14.119:
    Emerson, Ralph Waldo. Nature. 1836. Facsimile of the first edition, with an introduction by Jaroslav Pelikan. Boston: Beacon, 1985.

• I've tried editing the extra field as described above. I use the MHRA style, but it seems I'm out of luck. It does not seem to show the original date in my citation. I wonder if there is a realistic chance for this feature to be implemented in the MHRA style?
  • How should they be formatted in MHRA?
  • edited May 16, 2017
    The MHRA style guide lists the following two examples. The first is if the reprint is done by the same publisher. The second example is if the reprint is done by a different publisher.

Citation:

H. Munro Chadwick and N. Kershaw Chadwick, The Growth of
    Literature, 3 vols (Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 1932–
    40; repr. 1986), i, p. xiii.

Bibliography:

Chadwick, H. Munro, and N. Kershaw Chadwick, The Growth of
    Literature, 3 vols (Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 1932–40;
    repr. 1986)

Citation: (Different Publisher)

José Amador de los Ríos, Historia crítica de la literatura española,
    7 vols (Madrid: the author, 1861–65; repr. Madrid: Gredos, 1969),
    vi (1865), 44–54.
  • @bwiernik -- so

<group prefix="(" suffix=")" delimiter="; ">
    <group delimiter=", ">
    <group delimiter=": ">
    <text variable="original-publisher-place"/>
    <text variable="original-publisher"/>
    </group>
    <date variable="originale-date" form="numeric" date-parts="year"/>
    </group>
    <group delimiter=" ">
    <choose>
    <if variable="original-publisher-place original-publisher original-date" match="any">
    <text value="repr."/>
    </if>
    </choose>
    <group delimiter=", ">
    <group delimiter=": ">
    <text variable="publisher-place"/>
    <text variable="publisher"/>
    </group>
    <date variable="issued" form="numeric" date-parts="year"/>
    </group>
    </group>
    </group>
  • Hi! Thank you for this. I am using this fix but I write in spanish. Hence, when using the APA format, it appears: "Original date of publication" in the bilbliography. Does anyone know if there is a way of changing that phrase to spanish?

Thanks a lot!
  • not without modifying the citation style, sorry. We don't have localization for that phrase https://www.zotero.org/support/dev/citation_styles/style_editing_step-by-step
  • Hi everyone

I work with Zotero 5.0.66 version.
    I am trying to:

- cite the french translation of Anderson's "The Hobo. The Sociology of the Homeless Man."
    - add the original data, that is why, following the tips provided in this thread, I have put the following information in the extra field :

original-title: The Hobo. The Sociology of the Homeless Man.
    original-publisher-place: Chicago
    original-publisher: University of Chicago Press
    original-date: 1923

As far as I know, the style I use (Revue française de sociologie (French)) is written in CSL. See https://www.zotero.org/support/styles and https://www.zotero.org/styles.

And still, when I create the bibliography, it does not work as expected (only the original date is added). Here is the result :

Anderson N., Schwartz O., [1923] 2018, Le hobo sociologie du sans-abri suivi de L’empirisme irréductible, Brigant A. (dir.), [Nouvelle présentation], Paris, Armand Colin (Individu et société), 396 p.

Does anyone have a clue?

Thanks in advance
  • Yes, that style is only currently written to print the original-date variable, not any other original- variables. How should the reference with the full original information appear? Do you have a link to any documentation showing that?
  • @bwiernik
    Thanks for your answer.

I guess something like this would be right :

ANDERSON N., SCHWARTZ O., [1923] 2018, Le hobo, sociologie du sans-abri. Suivi de L’empirisme irréductible, BRIGANT A. (dir.), Paris, Armand Colin, 396 p. (éd. orig., The Hobo, The Sociology of the Homeless Man. Chicago, University of Chicago Press)

éd. orig. stands for original publication

As for now, I have this (I've corrected the publisher data)

ANDERSON N., SCHWARTZ O., [1923] 2018, Le hobo, sociologie du sans-abri. Suivi de L’empirisme irréductible, BRIGANT A. (dir.), Paris, Armand Colin, 396 p.

• Hey, I'm trying to get this to work for Chicago 17th (note), and it's not showing up. I've had it work in (author-date) form before. I've written 'original-date: 1921' in the Extra field, but it doesn't show up in my references. Any troubleshooting suggestions?
  • Hello,
    first off let me say - as others have already - what an amazing tool Zotero is and what a great job you guys are doing.
    But then I seem to have the same type of problems as JD867. Actually, the thing is that the "original-date:" solution seems to work for certain entries (like book chapters oder books) but not for others (like revue articles)... I'm using Chicago (full note).
  • @JD867 @christian.roques

Can you export an item that isn't showing up with original-date correctly for you to CSL-JSON (right-click on the item and choose Export Item, then select CSL-JSON) and then either paste it here inside <code> </code> tags or upload to http://hastebin.com and link here?