New Hart's Rules / Oxford Manual of Style / Oxford University

Thanks to the help of adamsmith on this thread:

https://forums.zotero.org/discussion/35880/mhra-short-title-oxford/#Item_0

I've started editing the the MHRA style to fit with New Hart's Rules/Oxford Manual of Style. Both are used by OUP in the UK, and also in numerous departments at Oxford, including History.

The MHRA style is very similar.

Thus far I've removed the doi from appearing, and forced MHRA to produce short titles when a work is cited more than once.

There are three additional things that need doing, and which I would appreciate any help with:

1. The publisher needs to be omitted -- only the place of publication and the date are need.

2. The issue number for journals needs to be added (MHRA doesn't have this) in the form of 3/1 (i.e. vol. 3 issue 1).

This means a reference would read:

1. Claire Taylor Jones, ‘Prelude to the New World: The Role of Voice in Early Pennsylvanian Mysticism’, Eighteenth-Century Studies, 44/2 (2011), 331–43

As opposed to:

Claire Taylor Jones, ‘Prelude to the New World: The Role of Voice in Early Pennsylvanian Mysticism’, Eighteenth-Century Studies, 44 (2011), 331–43

3. The formatting of the page numbers needs changing from:

Claire Taylor Jones, ‘Prelude to the New World: The Role of Voice in Early Pennsylvanian Mysticism’, Eighteenth-Century Studies, 44 (2011), 331–43 (p. 332).

to:

Claire Taylor Jones, ‘Prelude to the New World: The Role of Voice in Early Pennsylvanian Mysticism’, Eighteenth-Century Studies, 44 (2011), 332.

i.e. the parenthesis needs removing and the page range of the journal needs omitting, EXCEPT when the journal is being cited without out a specific page reference in which case it should read:

1. Claire Taylor Jones, ‘Prelude to the New World: The Role of Voice in Early Pennsylvanian Mysticism’, Eighteenth-Century Studies, 44 (2011), 331–43
  • Is this - at least partly - documented anywhere online or is there at least a sample document that meticulously follows the style?
  • edited April 15, 2014
    As it happens, until this Saturday, Oxford is allowing free access to some of their materials for National Library Week:

http://global.oup.com/academic/librarians/national-library-week/

Hart's Rules are here (user/password is libraryweek):

http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/secondary/harts_rules/
  • Note, by the way, that the AMA Manual of Style is also open for the week.
  • thanks, that's great, I'll be using that. I already have a copy of AMA and most other major style guides, I think the only ones I'm missing are Cite Them Right and Bluebook, neither of which I'm terribly interested in as citation styles go.
  • The style is now up. It will appear on the style repository within 30mins.. (See here if you need instructions for installing styles in standalone.)

I'd treat this as a first draft, I'm sure there are remaining issues, which is pretty much unvoidable for a complex style guide unless I spend a lot of time testing. Please report any issues here.
  • New Hart's Rules seems not to include a full stop for bibliography entries. Is it possible to have this sorted? Thanks.