MHRA Short Title & Oxford

Hello,

I know this has been asked before for the solutions did not work for me. I'm using the MHRA style. I want to make a modification.

I'd like for the short title to appear after an author who has already been cited (MHRA mandates Smith, 758.)

I've got the CSL file open in the CSL editor. If anyone could advice which lines to change or delete I'd appreciate it.

Also, really surprised given OUP is a major press that there is no style for Oxford, based on either Hart's Rules or the New Oxford Manual of Style. Can it be considered? It's quite simple compared for Chicago.

The Oxford New South Wales style deviates a little from these two, and seems to have a couple of errors in.
  • For style requests see:
    https://github.com/citation-style-language/styles/wiki/Requesting-Styles
    while OUP is certainly a major press, they don't follow any specific style afaik. "Oxford" is just a name given to some styles, mostly not related to the university or it's press.
    I'm not 100% sure what you'd like the edited MHRA to look like - could you provide an example?
  • Thank you for the response.

For MHRA I'd like the second and additional citations of the same author to look like:

Smith, Battle of the Somme, 54

Rather than Smith, 54

Regarding Oxford, there a specific style for much of the University (in the humanities), and for OUP, although it doesn't always reflect in their publications. I'm there at the moment and two my friend are copy editors at OUP.

Its used to be Hart's Rules, now it's the Oxford Manual of Style -- though OUP allows Chicago for North American authors, and some tutors, departments are flexible.

So I guess I'm asking for Hart's Rules / Oxford Manual of Style. I'll put a request up.

However, so far as I can see the Manchester University Press CSL is identical to the Oxford Manual of Style, though it seems to be missing a bibliographic function. Is it easy for one to be added?
  • edited April 5, 2014
    for MHRA: find
    <macro name="disambiguate">
    <choose>
    <if disambiguate="true">
    <choose>
    <if variable="title" match="none">
    <text macro="issued"/>
    </if>
    <else-if type="bill book graphic legal_case legislation motion_picture report song" match="any">
    <text variable="title" font-style="italic" text-case="title" form="short"/>
    </else-if>
    <else>
    <text variable="title" quotes="true" text-case="title" form="short"/>
    </else>
    </choose>
    </if>
    </choose>
    </macro>

and remove the test for disambiguage, i.e. change it to

<macro name="disambiguate">
    <choose>
    <if variable="title" match="none">
    <text macro="issued"/>
    </if>
    <else-if type="bill book graphic legal_case legislation motion_picture report song" match="any">
    <text variable="title" font-style="italic" text-case="title" form="short"/>
    </else-if>
    <else>
    <text variable="title" quotes="true" text-case="title" form="short"/>
    </else>
    </choose>
    </macro>

Re: ManU (ha!) press - no, adding a bibliography wouldn't be particularly easy to add - how much work depends on how closely it mirrors the in-text citations.

Re: Hart's guide: the copy I see at http://www.hartpub.co.uk/hartstyleguide.pdf says it follows OSCOLA, which we do have available, so why not use that?
  • Thank you for the response. I've made the change you suggested in the CSL editor of Zotero Standalone. I get:

Error parsing style:
    Error: File is not valid XML

Regarding Hart's Rules, note it's Hart's Rules not Hart's Guide from the small publishing house Hart's Publishing.

Hart's Rules has been used at the University Press for Compositors and Readers since 1894 and has gone to 39 editions.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hart's_Rules

The New Hart's Rules (2005) is currently used for British and Commonwealth countries by the University Press (Global OUP uses Chicago) and in the University for humanities graduate students. And if forms half of the New Oxford Manual of Style.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/0198610416/ref=s9_simh_gw_p14_d1_i1?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=01KS7P8S2ZDFN79ZZHX6&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=455344027&pf_rd_i=468294

It's different to OSCOLA.

It's a major, and one of the oldest, style guides, and also one of the simplest, hence my surprise that it's not been done.
  • OK, got - it. Pretty sure it's never been requested before, not sure why not.
  • edited April 6, 2014
    as for the edit to the style - definitely works, I've tested this. You likely copied or deleted too much or too little.
  • Great. Thank you. It worked. I must have done something wrong.

Can we make a further tweak regarding page numbers?

In my footnotes for my modified MHRA style I have:

1. Claire Taylor Jones, ‘Prelude to the New World: The Role of Voice in Early Pennsylvanian Mysticism’, Eighteenth-Century Studies, 44 (2011), 331–43 (p. 332).

2. Claire Taylor Jones, ‘Prelude to the New World’, p. 340.

Footnote 2 is perfect.

For footnote 1, and for all first citations of a work I want the page numbers to read.

1. Claire Taylor Jones, ‘Prelude to the New World: The Role of Voice in Early Pennsylvanian Mysticism’, Eighteenth-Century Studies, 44 (2011), p. 332.

But, if I'm just referencing a work without a page number it should still read:

1. Claire Taylor Jones, ‘Prelude to the New World: The Role of Voice in Early Pennsylvanian Mysticism’, Eighteenth-Century Studies, 44 (2011), 331–43.