[Solved] Error installing Word plugin (3.5) for mac on case-sensitive file system

Installation of Zotero Word plugin fails with following error:

Installation could not be completed because an error occurred.

[Exception... "Component returned failure code: 0x80570015 (NS_ERROR_XPC_CI_RETURNED_FAILURE) [nsIJSCID.createInstance]" nsresult: "0x80570015 (NS_ERROR_XPC_CI_RETURNED_FAILURE)" location: "JS frame :: resource://zotero-macword-integration/installer.jsm :: <TOP_LEVEL> :: line 66" data: no]

Zotero version: 3.0.3
Mac OS Version: 10.7.3
Firefox: 11.0
Word: Word for Mac 2011 14.1.4

Any advice or suggestions?
  • Provide a report ID after re-triggering the error.
  • Report ID: 555629269

The error can be re-triggered by trying to reinstall the Word for Mac plugin 3.5, with the setup as detailed above.
  • Do you have a case-sensitive file system? If so, this might be the cause. We'll have a potential fix shortly.
  • Yes. The files system format is: Mac OS Extended (Case-sensitive, Journaled)
  • Thank you.
    I can confirm that this installs and works.
  • I am getting the same error message using TenFourFox 20, OS X 10.4.11, and Word for Mac 2004 (report ID 1767849051). This happens when attempting to install using either the trunk or current release plug-ins. I realize that this configuration isn't officially supported, but are there any known workarounds?
  • That's never going to work. The Word plugin isn't compiled for PPC, and even if you were to recompile it, Mac OS X 10.4 is missing one of the frameworks the Word plugin uses, so it wouldn't help.
  • Fair enough; there seemed to be some indications that others were successful in this (perhaps using 10.5?), so I thought it worth asking. Thanks for the quick reply!