Add/Edit Citation dialog not in front

When I add or edit a citation using the OpenOffice plugin, the Add/Edit Citation dialog appears behind the OpenOffice window; I have to click on the corresponding item in the GNOME panel to move the dialog to the front so I can use it. I'm using Zotero 1.0.7 with Firefox 3 on Linux. This problem appeared a few versions ago, but I can't remember exactly when.
  • Here's a workaround:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Zotero#Window management for the OOo extension

I've always needed to use the kind of window rules described in the instructions linked above, or at least, I made rules and then never bothered to turn them off.

BTW, if you're using Metacity rather than Compiz and want to try the devilspie method, I can post the configuration file I used to use. I've been using Compiz for a while now, and when I tried my old devilspie rules recently, they didn't work right for some reason. That's why they aren't in the wiki. But if you like, you could take them as a starting point.
  • edited July 17, 2008
    I am using Metacity (the Ubuntu default), and actually, what I'd like is for the Zotero developers to recognise that this is a bug. The "Add/Edit Citation" dialog used to pop up in front of OpenOffice just fine, and for some reason, it's broken now. If I need to configure GNOME somehow to make it work again, I'm willing, but I think it's up to the Zotero developers to figure out exactly what needs to be done. If there are any instructions for users to follow, they should be included in the Zotero installation instructions. I don't see why I should have to fiddle with S-expressions (which is what I'd have to do with devilspie) in order to get Zotero to behave like any ordinary application.
  • edited July 17, 2008
    Are you using "Visual Effects"? They are enabled by default in Ubuntu, on systems that support them. You can check if you're using Visual Effects in System -> Preferences -> Appearance, the tab marked "Visual Effects."

So, if you are using visual effects, then you are using Compiz. Technically, you are using Metacity too. However, when visual effects are enabled, Compiz is responsible for window management, not Metacity. Or better, Metacity is integrated into Compiz.

Anyway, in the event that you'd like to use the workaround I proposed while using visual effects, you'd need the rules for Compiz, if you're using Ubuntu. If you're not, maybe it works differently in the distro you are using.

I can't say anything about whether this is a bug or not, of course. That's up to the developers, and I hope that posting a workaround wouldn't keep them from responding to the situation.
  • I normally keep "Visual Effects" turned off, and I'd rather not have to turn them on just for Zotero.
  • edited July 17, 2008
    I wasn't suggesting that you turn them on, I was just trying to respond to what you said about the Ubuntu default.

Anyway, there's a workaround if you like. I'll let the Zotero developers take it from here.
  • The workaround you've described is either to turn on visual effects and do some simple configuration (not difficult, but I'd prefer not to turn on visual effects just to get a Zotero to behave normally), or to learn another programming language so I can configure Metacity to force Zotero to behave normally. Not much of a workaround, but thanks anyway.
  • Hi, I use Zotero with Compiz and I had the same problem as the original poster. I followed the instructions for tweaking the "Windows Rules" section of the Compiz Settings and now the dialog box appears over the OpenOffice window as it should.

However, it's caused a new problem. Now, when I have a normal Firefox browser also open, underneath the OpenOffice window, clicking on the Zotero Add Citation button not only brings up the Add/Edit Citation dialog, it additionally brings up the Firefox window over the top of OpenOffice. Has anyone else had this problem, and if so, is there a way of fixing it?
  • edited August 2, 2009
    Zotero used to use a special borderless pop-up window for word processor integration windows on all platforms, since that was the only way to get the windows to always appear on top on Windows. A few months ago this was changed to use real windows (which can be moved and switched to and which can get focus by default) on non-Windows platforms, but it looks like Ubuntu needs the popup as well by default for the window to appear on top.

In the latest 1.0 dev build, I've restored the use of a popup on Linux. I've also added an integration.realWindow hidden pref (in about:config) to force the use of a real window for those who've used a workaround (or who have monitors large enough to be able to position the window off to the side).

If you're using the 1.0 dev builds, let me know if you run into any problems with this change.

Unfortunately, using a popup on Linux renders the window inaccessible. The real window on Linux also appears not to remember its position (as it does on OS X). A future version of Zotero may offer a better solution, but in the meantime the Visual Effects workaround above (which I haven't tried) may be the best option.
  • Sure thing. I'm not using the dev builds at the moment as I'm actually doing some real work and I don't want to jeopardise my reference library - it would be a disaster if anything broke it right now! But once I'm finished I'll be a little bit more free to help test things out. Will let you know how it goes.
  • edited November 26, 2008
    I'm not using the dev builds at the moment as I'm actually doing some real work and I don't want to jeopardise my reference library - it would be a disaster if anything broke it right now!
    Note that you can run stable and dev versions of Zotero side by side using separate Firefox profiles. You can do your real work in your 'normal' profile with a stable installation of Zotero, and tinker with a Zotero dev build in a 'zotero-development' profile.

http://forums.zotero.org/discussion/4854/handling-legislationstatutes-outside-the-us/?Focus=20963#Comment_20963
  • for those not running compiz, here's quick instrucitons on how to do this with devilspie

#install devilspie
    sudo aptitude install devilspie

#create an devilspie directory in your home folder
    mkdir ~/.devilspie

#create a devilspie window profile for Add/Edit citation (use the editor of your choice)
    gedit ~/.devilspie/addedit.ds

#in the editor window paste

(if
    (and
    (is (application_name) "Add/Edit Citation")
    (is (window_name) "Add/Edit Citation")
    )
    (begin
    (center)
    (above)
    )
    )

save the file and you should be done.