Feature Request Zotero Beta (Windows) + iOS Beta (iPad): ePUB reading

13»
  • Still would like to hear some response from the team, @dstillman .
  • I would be willing to contribute towards a bounty for this feature, if that is compatible with the development process.
  • Realizing epub reading as a built-in function of Zotero would be perfect.

If that's not planned, maybe we could just do it in a plugin with the epub.js mentioned above to provide the same experience as Zotero's built-in PDF reader for epub attachments.

I don't have much time recently. Anyone are interested about this idea?
  • So maybe @dstillman can drop by here, to tell the crowd what’s planed in this regard.
  • Would be absolutely crucial, if possible, in the short-term. A proper way to link epub and other ebook formats, not necessarily read and annotate them.
  • If the team can’t respond in more than a year, I fear it’s not even on the longterm todo.

@joaonsalmeida how to you read and annotate epubs currently on iOS?
  • +1 absolutely.
    Would love to hear @dstillman 's thoughts about it!
  • +1 I made my Zotero account just to upvote this thread! I love Zotero's annotation features, but my readings are mostly from books, not papers.
  • edited 10 days ago
    +1. I think adding HTML support at the same time, and annotations like https://web.hypothes.is/ for each, would be nice too (since ePUB and HTML are very very similar). I believe the official Zotero Connector chrome extension already supports archiving web pages using SingleFile anyway, so if HTML imports are natively supported, I'd argue that they should ideally be completely supported within Zotero too, annotations and all.

See https://github.com/elias-sundqvist/obsidian-annotator which uses Hypothes.is as a backend and already offers annotation support for PDF, ePUB, and HTML, all separately from the source file the same way Zotero currently does for PDF. You can make the argument that ePUB and HTML lack mature standards for annotation, but if they're just being stored in a Zotero-specific format in its database anyway, this doesn't seem to be much of an issue.