Suggestions for a new built-in Zotero PDF reader

Hi there,

I am so excited about your new built-in PDF reader. I have installed a beta version of Zotero, and I am enjoying it already.

I would like to suggest two features, if you haven't planned them yet:

1) Ability to quickly see the overview of the whole document as in Mac's View and PDF Expert;
2) Ability to split the screen horisontally to be able to see references and notes, as in PDF Expert, AND/OR a quick pop up link to the-just-seen-page, as in PDF Expert to quickly travel from the text to references and back, AND/OR another clever way to quickly see references and notes at the end of the document.

I hope it helps. Thank you very much again for introducing a PDF reader.
  • 1) Ability to quickly see the overview of the whole document as in Mac's View and PDF Expert
    Not sure what you mean here.
    a quick pop up link to the-just-seen-page
    Note that, if you click a link within the PDF, you can use Cmd-[ to go back. A more general Back/Forward or jump-back mechanism might happen but isn't yet implemented.
  • Thanks, dstillman!

By 1) I mean the view of all the thumbnails. Not sure how it's properly called, sorry.
  • You realize you can view thumbnails in the left-hand sidebar?
  • Yes, a do. What I am talking about is a view of thumbnails scattered across the whole screen.

Anyway, a new smart way of checking the references would be much more useful, yet, I don't know whether it is possible at all. On a more general note, I think research gets creative when it gets non-linear. Being able to jump from one part of the electronic document to another without much thinking would be a blast.
  • @dstillman I think they are referring to a view like the Organize Pages view in Adobe Acrobat. That would be helpful to jump quickly to a specific page (as well as to facilitate rotation of all the landscape pages if that functionality is added).
    https://helpx.adobe.com/content/dam/help/en/acrobat/using/manipulating-deleting-renumbering-pdf-pages/_jcr_content/main-pars/procesure_4/proc_par/step_0/step_par/image/Page-thumbnail.png
  • Yes, bwiernik, thank you very much, this is exactly what I was talking about — sorry for a clumsy way of describing it.
  • edited 10 days ago
    I've got an idea of how one can read an article and see its references at the same time.

Currently, I open articles in Zotero's pdf reader; then right click on the item, open the folder where the file is stored; open this file with my default pdf reader (which is PDF Expert). I use a large screen, so I am able to put Zotero on the right side and PDF Expert on the left side. I then click Cmd+down to jump on the last page of the document and voilà, I am seeing references.

So the idea I've got is to introduce a split screen option within Zotero's pdf reader, that would do exactly what I described, but, for instance, in one click (right click on the item in the library, 'open in a split screen'.

Just an idea.

---
    On a different note, I am still enjoying Zotero's pdf reader very much. I can clearly see that it increased my productivity. The only problems I see so far are:
    - There are neither underline option, nor drawing tools in the pdf reader;
    - Notes are very slow and make the whole Zotero freeze for some time;
    - It would be helpful to be able to close the 'add note' pop up window that emerges over the Word document when the 'add note' button is pushed (I've tried erasing '{citation}' but it did not help so I had to insert the shortest note into my Word document and then erase the text).

I hope this feedback is helpful.
  • I have another suggestion related to the Notes.

It would be cool if a note with references, once copied into a Word document, contained enough metadata to produce the bibliography section. Now, if I insert a note into a Word document containing quotations and references, it is impossible to generate a bibliography section from this only. Let me know if what I am saying is obscure.
  • Another suggestion related to Notes from Annotations — to make the quotes visibly different from the comments.
  • @auster - Inserting a note into Word using the Zotero add-in within Word (as opposed to copy and paste) does retain citations, so you can generate a bibliography (just did that)
  • Oh, indeed, it works. I suppose I did something wrong yesterday, when it didn't. Thanks, bentle!