Apple Silicon compatibility

This discussion was created from comments split from: macOS 11 Big Sur compatibility.
  • Sorry if this has been answered elsewhere, but is there any idea on zotero compatibility with the new apple M1 chips as the Mac transitions away from intel?
  • Apple Silicon Macs should run all existing Mac software (except for kernel extensions and virtual machine apps) from day one using Rosetta 2.

We intend to support Apple Silicon natively in a future version, but that won't happen before sometime next year.
  • A question was asked whether Zotero is compatible with Apple's new M1 chip. The answer was:

"Apple Silicon Macs should run all existing Mac software (except for kernel extensions and virtual machine apps) from day one using Rosetta 2.We intend to support Apple Silicon natively in a future version, but that won't happen before sometime next year.

However, I do not fully understand this answer. I urgently need a new MacBook, but I want to make sure Zotero is compatible for M1.

As I understand it, Zotero is not yet compatible with M1, but we are working on it. However, we do not yet know when Zotero is compatible. Is this correct? If so, do you have any idea when Zotero will be compatible for M1?

• As I understand it, Zotero is not yet compatible with M1, but we are working on it.
    No, that's not correct.

As I say, Apple Silicon Macs should run all existing Mac software, and that includes Zotero. Many people are already happily using Zotero on M1 Macs.

The one thing to be aware of is that, if you use Word, there's a minor workaround required for Word integration, but once you do that it works fine. It's not a reason not to get an M1 Mac now if you want one.

A future version of Zotero will be updated to run natively at full speed on M1 Macs, but that's irrelevant for current usage. Most software that hasn't been updated to run natively on M1 Macs will still actually run faster than on Intel Macs (after a ~10-second delay the first time you start it) simply due to how much faster the M1 Macs are.
  • Zotero running great on my m1 mac. cheers