Zotfile automatic renaming not working

When I add a new entry--either through Zotero Connector on Chrome or dragging a pdf into a folder--a new entry is created and the attachment is renamed according to Zotero's default preferences. Only when I manually right-click on the entry and select "Rename attachments" under "Manage Attachments" is the pdf renamed.

I'm running Zotfile 5.0.16 and Zotero 5.0.89 on Windows 10. Under Zotfile Preferences, I have "Use Zotero to Rename" unchecked and "Automatically rename new attachments" set to "Always rename". Under Zotero General Preferences I have "Rename linked files" checked. I've played around with different settings/re-installing Zotero/etc. Automatic renaming worked on my old computer, but I just got a new computer and can't seem to get the settings right. Is there anything obvious that I'm missing?
  • ZotFile isn't able to detect the automated "retrieve metadata" operation and so never knows the item is now attached to metadata & can be renamed. There's an open ticket for that, but no solution in sight as far as I know.
  • Interesting, I thought that the Zotfile "Automatically rename new attachments" Advanced Setting was meant to do exactly that. I guess I was mistaken and previously manually renamed attachments in order to get them linked onto my Dropbox.
  • It does this in other scenarios, in particular when an item is imported with attachments, as the "Save to Zotero" function from the browser typically does (but not, when you save directly from the PDF view)
  • Ah I see. Thanks so much for your help!
  • You could also use Zutilo's keyboard shortcuts for triggering the renaming function. See here.

(BTW, if you use stored files, there is a positive consequence of the issue described by adamsmith. It allows you to control when to keep original filenames when using the browser connector, see here.)