zotero://select for collections

Is it possible to use a zotero://select link for a collection? Or, alternatively to link to an item in a specific collection?
  • edited October 11, 2018
    I've added support for the former in the latest beta.

zotero://select/library/collections/:collectionKey
    zotero://select/groups/:groupID/collections/collectionKey
  • It seems to work like a charm in Zotero version 57-beta-3. Thank you very much for the implementation!
  • This is a much expected and welcome feature for me, but unless I'm mistaken there's no way of determining the collectionKey of a given collection within the GUI.

Could you please add a "Copy zotero://select link" entry to the collection context menu ?

Thanks in advance !
  • No, sorry. That doesn't exist for items either. I assume you're using a third-party extension (Zutilo?), so you'd have to ask the developer of that extension to add this.
  • Thanks for your answer. I'm indeed using Zutilo.

So, if there's no way for Zotero users to come up to the right zotero://select link by themselves, how did you expect them to benefit from this feature when implementing it ? I'm feeling like I'm missing something here...
  • Well, I implemented it because zuphilip asked for it…

The item version was originally an internal mechanism used for the (ancient) timeline feature. Some people found it useful in other contexts and Zutilo added the ability to generate it. The same thing can happen here. But I doubt enough people would use it to merit default context-menu options.

In the meantime, if you're using syncing, you can see the collection key in the URL when you click on the collection in the web library.
  • ( I have implemented a very easy custom translator to export for debugging which will also show you the collection(s) an item is in: https://github.com/UB-Mannheim/zotkat/blob/master/Zotero JSON.js and will use this functionality in my plugin https://github.com/zuphilip/zotero-open-citations/issues/19 )
  • As a naive (non-programming) user, I have been longing for this for a long time - I often want to link to a collection from another program, or from within zotero. I already link to items via zutilo. It would make collections a great deal more useful!
  • @Hecksher: Not sure what the "this" is referring to. zotero://select for collections has been implemented.
  • I mean a simple way to copy links to collections - like zutilo's right-click for items. I know you said we should appeal to zutilo for that. I was just expressing my sense that it would be really helpful -- I'm certainly one who would use it.