Adding a custom information field

I'm wondering if Zotero still intends to make it possible for users to add a custom field to the Information section, and, if so, roughly when it might be made available.

I've checked the discussion logs and it appears that the last time a question was posed was mid-2016.
  • edited April 18, 2017
    Custom Fields is planned for, as far as I am aware, the medium term. Will probably come after Zotero 5.1, which will include necessary changes to Zotero's back end database to allow the standard item types and fields to be updated.

For the time being, you can store custom information in the Extra field.
  • I have Zotero 5.0.35 and I see that the database schema includes what look like relevant tables: customBaseFieldMappings, customFields, customItemTypeFields, and customItemTypes. There's no data in any of them (in my local copy), though. Are those tables used in the current version?
  • no they aren't. They're left over from custom work Zotero did for an organization many years ago.
  • Good to know, thanks!
  • I just created https://github.com/zotero/zotero/issues/1607 with a bit of info on how I'd like it to work.
  • re-posting it here, since I didn't notice I shouldn't be making issues on GitHub.. sorry about the noise.

In the early days of my sciencing, I started my own database for citations, in Excel. I eventually abandoned it, because adding bibliographic data and implementing citation styles was simply too much work, and the lack of Word integration didn't help. However, it had a bunch of strong benefits, particularly in how I can define my own data fields easily.

https://user-images.githubusercontent.com/8940427/49943929-2fadd280-fefa-11e8-8bb3-f779335bc63a.png

It was immensely helpful, as I could do a parametric search in my table to quickly find the relevant papers I didn't quite remember the authors or title of.

I would like to have similar capability in Zotero. That would have been just SUPER AWESOME. I'm happy do donate some money for this feature, if it can help (I've already bought some cloud storage, not for using it, but just for supporting Zotero).
    I also hope my screenshot can help shape this feature, because the way excel does it is pretty much perfect.
  • Does anyone know if there's been any movement on this? would be so helpful if such a feature was implemented
  • edited February 4, 2019
    Custom fields are, last I saw, planned for the medium term, around version 5.2. For now, you can enter custom information in Extra.

(Edit: Which I realize is what I said aboveā€”nothing has changed there.)
  • It's a shame custom metadata isn't a thing yet. I was thinking it might be possible to just repurpose one of the more arbitrary pre-existing fields such as "archive location," but that's an annoying workaround. I've been trying to leave Zotero for a while now, but it still seems to be the best compared to web-based apps and discontinued service based on company buyouts.

Can I add one more request along this line to perfect Zotero: I'd like to be able to edit the fields directly in the citation list rather than have to click through the metadata box. Why can't this be a bit more like a spreadsheet in design? It would be killer. Thanks for considering!