WebCite - www.webcitation.org support

As content may change or sites might vanish, some intitutions require their students to use an archiving service as webcititation.org to reference a web page.
The markup fpr the Links is quite easy, so an integration with the FF-plugin would be nice.
  • edited January 18, 2009
    Interesting service. That website is in effect an online version of Zotero's snapshot function. (Off topic: strangely, they allow for recursive snapshots (i.e. a snapshot of a snapshot).)
  • I'd like to second this request for WebCite support. Snapshotting a website for everyone to be able to see is much more useful than a snapshot that's just kept on my computer or zotero account. Unless zotero already has a public archive functionality I'm not aware of?
  • I'd also like to second this. In addition to shorturl service support.
  • I´d also like to second this request: I use webcitation.org and zotero in coexistence a lot and would love to see an integration into zotero.

Many greetings from Fraxern, Austria.
    Hartmut
  • Can you describe what your desired webcitation+Zotero workflow would be? Would Zotero still take snapshots? What URL would be saved with the item? How would this affect citations?

This is a technically simple idea, but it's not really clear how the two _should_ work together.
  • I'd say that the best option would be if Zotero processed autonomously (maybe according to a switch in preferences) an archivation request to WebCite and saved both the addresses. Obviously Zotero snapshots would still be needed for personal offline use and research.

The use of WebCite should affect also citations adding this at the end of the citation: "Accessed: 2011-04-22. (Archived by WebCite® at http://www.webcitation.org/5y8SLuuCx)" The format of a WebCite citation requires in fact to give both web addresses as in:

“one grows rich in a year but dies in six months.” Weblog. Eatingbark, September 23, 2008. http://covblogs.com/eatingbark/archives/2008/09/pontine_marshes.html. Accessed: 2011-04-22. (Archived by WebCite® at http://www.webcitation.org/5y8SLuuCx)
  • edited April 22, 2011
    We can't dictate any changes to styles like that, since WebCite doesn't dictate how journals and the like require citations to be formatted.

I'm willing to start experimenting with adding this to translators for my personal use to see how it affects performance, but it looks like we need to supply an email address to do an archive request. If Zotero is going to do this (even as an option or plugin), it needs to be with an application-level API key and we need to be able to do it with a single request to WebCite.
  • I also second this. In the moment the Web citing function in zotero is only usable for my own archive, not for citing web pages.
  • Let's not confuse things. Zotero works fine for citing web pages and there is, as of now, not a single style guide I'm aware of that suggests, let alone requires, links to an archived version of a webpage.
  • This service is backed by academic publishers, Wikimedia, and the web archive. I think that it is an essential feature.
  • see ajyon's post above - without an API and application-level API key this isn't going to happen. If that's been implemented in the meantime we can take another look.
  • I am publishing in the journal of Medical Internet Research. They require inclusion of BOTH WebCite and original URL in the references. This is a huge pain to have to do manually!

• edited May 24, 2017
    @asheon webcite is archieving service. We can change the template to draw the archive field for websites. Is there any other needs or sugestions for Medical Internet Research style?

Edit: Oh, now I see it in thread https://forums.zotero.org/discussion/23064/journal-of-medical-internet-research#latest
  • Yes, we work with JMIR too, and the whole family of JMIR (15+ journals) require Webcite. Addiction is another journal we work a lot with that strongly encourages it. I end up manually doing everything at the very end, because the Webcite link disappears every time I add a new reference or refresh Zotero.

Is there any other way to prevent losing my work and having to re-paste the Webcite info every time manually?
  • It’s not necessary to post the same thing in multiple threads.