[Zotero 7.0.1] center/right panes stop displaying items

Zotero 7.0.1 (Mac 14.6.1)
Report ID: 195956081

Clicking on trash on causes the center pane to not display items.

I deleted a collection using right-click Delete Collection and Items (this was an empty collection). Now if I go to Trash, which says "1 item in this view" in the right-side pane, it shows nothing. Going back to any other collection (or group library) after that results in the same - nothing in the Center pane and "1 item in this view" in the right-side pane. Also, right-clicks on collection names in the left-side pane does not give me a context menu. Interestingly, the tag window updates as I left-click on other collections.

If I quit Zotero and restart, everything works again, until I view Trash.

My Web Library looks fine and database check reports no errors.

Debug ID: D1725659818
  • edited August 17, 2024
    Can confirm, enozkan provided an excellent description of this bug. I wanted to report it myself, but was struggling to understand what was happening.
  • I have a second computer running MacOS 10.14.6 on an Intel chip, which does not have this problem.

Which allows me to empty the Trash there, sync up and resolve the issue on the computer running MacOS 14.6.1 on an M1/ARM, after restarting Zotero.

Looks like an Intel vs ARM issue, or Sonoma issue?

@dkatukov, are you also running on an ARM chip?
  • Nothing to do with ARM.

This is a regression from recent improvements to bidirectional text handling and would only occur if 1) "Enable bidirectional text editing utilities" is enabled in the Advanced section of the settings and 2) you have a collection in the trash.

We'll fix — thanks for letting us know.
  • Indeed, disabling "Enable bidirectional text editing utilities" fixes the issue. Thank you.
  • @enozkan, @dkatukov: Fixed in 7.0.2-beta.2, and the fix will be in 7.0.2 shortly.