Missing digital signature for word add-in

Hi
My institute only allows digitally signed word add-ins for security reasons. The zotero I have installed (that I also reinstalled today) is not digitally signed. When I google solutions to this I see you answer another discussion saying it is signed (https://forums.zotero.org/discussion/98947/digitially-signing-zotero-word-add-in). But I, like the person that started that discussion, only see

Add-in: Zotero.dotm
Publisher:

when I look in File > Options > Add-Ins in word. When I do what is then suggested and go into the developer tab and the zotero Tools > Digital signature it says the Certificate name is Corporation for Digital Scholarship. When I click "detail..." it says the certificate expired on the 6th of January 2024.

Is there something I'm missing or will you issue a new digital signature? What can I do?
I also have colleagues that have the same certificate with no publisher but their add-in still works without them having done anything specific.
  • Ok. Well. The add-in is installed and the box is checked but it doesnt show up in the ribbon. How can I figure out what the issue is? Because me and my colleagues ought to have the same institute applied security settings, and they can see the add-in in their word programs, so it should be possible for me too.
  • Do you see the ribbon when you open the Zotero.dotm directly (this is just for testing, it's not a solution)
  • No, a notification pops up that doesn't come when I open word regularly. It says "content blocked: Macros in this document have been disabled by your enterprise administration for security reasons".
    When I click this I get more info that says
    "Active content might contain malware and other security hazards. If you trust the contents of the file, you may enable this active content: COM Add-ins and Macros. Note: Other types of active content may be disabled in Trust Center or by your organization".
    I then tried to see if I could enable it.
    In my word's Trust Center Macro settings the options are greyed out so I cannot change them, and "disable all macros except digitally signed macros" is the only one checked. In Trust Center > Add-ins (COM, VSTO, and Other) the options "Require Application Add-ins to be signed by Trusted Publisher" and "Disable notification for unsigned add-ins (code will remain disabled)" are greyed out and checked.
  • Just bumping my post. Help please :)
  • I have the exact same issue and I'd be grateful for any help :)
  • edited February 1, 2024
    [Merged into this thread]

Hi
    I stopped getting responses on my old thread before the issue was solved (https://forums.zotero.org/discussion/comment/453501#Comment_453501). So I thought I'd try again.

My institute only allows digitally signed word add-ins for security reasons. The zotero I have installed is not digitally signed. When I google solutions to this I see you answer another discussion saying it is signed (https://forums.zotero.org/discussion/98947/digitially-signing-zotero-word-add-in). But I, like the person that started that discussion, only see

Add-in: Zotero.dotm
    Publisher:

when I look in File > Options > Add-Ins in word. When I do what is then suggested and go into the developer tab and the zotero Tools > Digital signature it says the Certificate name is Corporation for Digital Scholarship. When I click "detail..." it says the certificate expired on the 6th of January 2024.
    I was told this shouldn't be the problem.

Me and my colleagues ought to have the same institute applied security settings, and they can see and use the add-in in their word programs, so it should be possible for me too.

I was then asked if I see the ribbon when I open the Zotero.dotm directly.

I do not and a notification pops up that doesn't come when I open word regularly. It says "content blocked: Macros in this document have been disabled by your enterprise administration for security reasons".
    When I click this I get more info that says
    "Active content might contain malware and other security hazards. If you trust the contents of the file, you may enable this active content: COM Add-ins and Macros. Note: Other types of active content may be disabled in Trust Center or by your organization".
    I then tried to see if I could enable it.
    In my word's Trust Center Macro settings the options are greyed out so I cannot change them, and "disable all macros except digitally signed macros" is the only one checked. In Trust Center > Add-ins (COM, VSTO, and Other) the options "Require Application Add-ins to be signed by Trusted Publisher" and "Disable notification for unsigned add-ins (code will remain disabled)" are greyed out and checked.

It's already been 19 days since I last got a response. Please help. I would like to use zotero. I am not the only one with this problem. Someone else has commented on my old discussion.
  • edited February 1, 2024
    No, please don't create duplicate threads for the same issue — it just makes it harder for us to help you. You can always post a follow-up in the same thread. I've merged this into the same thread.
  • Yeah sorry about that. But I waited ten days for a response, then I posted again in my thread and waited another 10 days for a response. Then I created my new thread and got a response in less than 24 hours. Idk what to tell you man.
  • And you would get the same response (which you haven't actually gotten) by posting in this thread. We're still investigating this.
  • Ok. That’s all I needed to know. Thanks.
  • We're going to try to push out a new version with an updated certificate within the next few days. The current signature should remain valid, but it's possible either Word or some institutional policies are preventing it from working as it should. Not clear that's what's happening here, but might as well try that before other things.
  • Can't wait to try it. I hope it works. Otherwise I will be back... Thanks! :)
  • edited February 6, 2024
    OK, please try the Zotero 7 beta, which now includes an updated .dotm with a new certificate.
  • Thanks! I tried it and it doesn't seem to have worked. I can see that the zotero publisher isn't on the Word list of trusted publishers in the trust center. I have seen online you can add a publisher to the trusted publisher group by importing their certificate file (following this guide https://dokumate.com/knowledgebase/adding-a-trusted-publisher-certificate/). I want to try this, or get my IT department to try it for me, but I can't find the certificate file. I can open it and look at it in the word developer tab, but I can't find the file itself. Can you tell me where I can find it?
  • edited February 7, 2024
    OK, right, so this likely wasn't related to the expiration date on the previous certificate.

You'll need to ask your IT department to allow Corporation for Digital Scholarship as a trusted publisher. That's not something we can help with.

(But you should make sure they allow the new certificate in Z7, since that will be used going forward.)
  • I have added the certificate to the list of trusted publishers myself. It shows up when I look at trusted publishers in word. However, the zotero tab still doesn't show up. I have a screenshot of the trusted publishers:
    https://s3.amazonaws.com/zotero.org/images/forums/u8647834/411ci48i705pdfuhc09p.png. There's more than one because I tried it for zotero 6 and two different ways for zotero 7. One of the "issued by" is the same as the certificate when I look in the word tab Developer > Visual basic > Tools > Digital signature. So the publisher should be trusted now. Could IT still have to unblock something? I have sent them a request but am waiting for an answer :)
  • Nvm. It's fixed :)
    IT had to add my user to some group that is allowed to use zotero. It didn't sound like it would be so easy.
    Thanks very much for the help :D