Zotero experienced an error updating your document

Hi everyone,

I got Zotero 2.0b7.6 running on Firefox 3.5.6. I got the message error when trying to insert a reference into my word.

"Zotero experienced an error updating your document"

Report ID: 1888637317

[JavaScript Error: "this.docShell is null" {file: "chrome://global/content/bindings/browser.xml" line: 0}]

[JavaScript Error: "this.docShell is null" {file: "chrome://global/content/bindings/browser.xml" line: 0}]

[JavaScript Error: "[Exception... "Component returned failure code: 0x80004005 (NS_ERROR_FAILURE) [zoteroIntegrationApplication.getActiveDocument]" nsresult: "0x80004005 (NS_ERROR_FAILURE)" location: "JS frame :: chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/integration.js :: anonymous :: line 282" data: no]" {file: "chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/integration.js" line: 282}]

I've been trying many times without any luck uninstalling, reinstalling zotero and word processor, all I got is the same error message.
Now nothing works even on my old document with zotero references.

Thanks before hand.
  • I am getting the same error message, also using Zotero 2.0b7.6 running on Firefox 3.5.6, with Word 2003 on Windows XP Professional. The document (and its relationship to Zotero) was fine on 12/22, but not today.

Report ID : 1941803619

Thanks for any help you can give!
  • I am having the same problem. Have either of you found a solution? Zotero was working fine until yesterday, when it stopped letting me insert footnotes. I'm using Zotero 2.0b7.6 on Firefox, with Word 2007 on Windows Vista Home.

Report ID: 769818584

Please help!
    Thank you
  • I never did get a fix--the problem also hasn't happened again, so I don't know what to tell you--
  • Hi there, could anyone of the Zotero team please attend to this error?

I'm getting it as well (Zotero 2.0.2, Word Plugin 3.0a3, Firefox 3.6.3, Word 2007, Windows 7). Restarting Word/Firefox doesn't help. Last time, rebooting helped, but that's obviously not a viale solution in the long run.

Thanks,
    Matt
  • Same problem here as MattM! Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Sara
  • http://www.zotero.org/support/word_processor_plugin_troubleshooting#debugging_broken_documents
  • I'm experiencing the same problem.

Report ID: 1447230374
    Log: sync.zotero.org : server does not support RFC 5746, see CVE-2009-3555
    (Zotero 2.0.3 ; Zotero winword integration 3.0a4)

I have just installed Office 2010 and the updating problem appears both in new and old documents.
    I'm using also the open office and there is no problem there.

I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the add-ins and restart the computer.

Thanks for you help.
  • edited August 11, 2010
    ariek, the same issue you are having is described in this thread, although we are still trying to figure out what's causing it. While I hope that I can eventually track it down, I can't reproduce it on any Windows systems with Word 2010 that I have access to, so the fix may take a while. It seems to be an interaction between some change made in the way Word 2010 registers itself for communication with other applications and a specific system configuration. For now, the only guaranteed solution is to revert to Word 2007, which should work fine.
  • I'll just second the suggestion for debugging on the Zotero website. I was also receiving the error "Zotero experienced an error updating your document: citations is undefined".

I'd encourage anyone to first Find the words "Error" and "{Citation}" in their document. If that doesn't work, copy-paste bits of your document into a new document, and keep hitting "Refresh Zotero" within the Word Add-in toolbar to check if it's working. When it doesn't work, it's easy to find the problem by clicking "Show Field Codes" (and if you highlight all, the codes will be shaded). I found an invisible citation that was the root of my problem!
  • Hello,

I urgently need help! I opend a document with which I worked several days ago and tried to insert a new ciatation. But it says: "Zotero experienced an error updating your document. Component returned failure code: 0x80004005 (NS_ERROR_FAILURE) [zoteroIntegrationApplication.getDocument]"
    I downloaded a new version of Zotero and WinWord Intergation, updated Word Add-in, it didn't help. I cannot insert neither the citation nor bibliography; I cannot refresh Zotero from the Word. Any Zotero icon I click in the Word doc, the error message pops up in both the old and new (clear) document!
    I am using Windows 2007, Zotero 2.1.1, WinWord Integration 3.1b2.r8075.
    Please, help aasap!
  • What version of Word are you running? Also, please create a report ID after re-triggering the error. Have you tried restarting your computer?
  • The problem might be because Word and Firefox are running on different accounts. It is not wise from a security perspective (I am told) to run Firefox as administrator. But if you are running Word as administrator, change the settings to a non-administrator account, hopefully this works.
    Steps:
    Close any word documents you have open -> Right click on the Word icon -> Properties -> Compatibility. Make sure Run as administrator is not ticked, if it's not, click Change Setting for All users, and make sure Run as administrator is not checked there as well.
  • I had the same problem. It was due to word being 32bits and firefox being 64bits.

Solved this by running a 32bits version of firefox (or the same version, in Windows XP compatibility mode to force it being 32bits :)
  • Same issue here.

Report ID: 1879363524
  • Addition to my previous comment.

Report ID: 301206111

Zotero Standalone 4.0.29.17 and I' using Windows 2013.
  • Step 6 helped me to solve it:

If the document has a bibliography, delete it and check if you still get the error.

Remove all bibliography, insert a new citation and it will reinsert all bibliography including the new one.

Works fine now.
  • Same issue here. Word crashes as soon as I press add citation.
    Error report:
    "Zotero experienced an error updating your document
    The remote procedure call failed.
    [cursoInField:document.cpp]'The remote procedure call failed
    [cursoInField:document.cpp]' when calling method: [zoteroIntegrationDocument::cursorInField]

Error ID: 265012151
    Am working through the debugging page but up to step 8 and still crashing. Am using zotero standalone and windows 10
  • Start by testing if this happens in a new document, too.