Zotero slow when change item fields

When I change the author name Firefox reports Not responding. A few minute later Firefox backs to normal and the author name is changed. I try to change the title field also happen the same thing. I try my zotero database in desktop computer (Mainly I work in my notebook with i5 processor and windows 7.) the browser has no problem, the field value can be changed immediately.
What's the problem? Is't because the database has problem. if yes how to repair the Zotero database. but I check the zotero built-in database integrity check, it shows no problem.
  • Possibly your laptop is running close to the limit of its available memory?
  • I did test your Idea.
    during zotero change it uses 25% - 30% cpu (intel i5) and 46% memory (from 4GB).

before this test I discovered that zotero will slow down only if I change from a search result. If I remove the search it can be changed without problem. However my desktop can change with or without search. Why it's only problem in my laptop? Both laptop and desktop run windows 7 and firefox 4.0.
  • I've seen slowness when changing fields from within search results at times as well, with Ubuntu 10.10 and Firefox 4.0 -- can't confirm right now, but in general I'd stay away from making lots of changes from within search results.
  • Similar here on a Mac Pro with Firefox 4.0.1 and Zotero 2.1.6. When I change a field in search results (and only in search results) one processor core goes to 100% activity for 10s of seconds to several minutes - "Firefox not responding". No impact on Firefox memory consumption. Syncing off. When it takes very long and I kill Firefox, the changes have always been written to the sqlite database.
  • I also am seeing the same behavior consistently - just about anything you do out of search results takes minutes to complete - editing fields in a reference, dragging and dropping a reference from the center pane to a collection in the left pane, switching to an associated note or file attachment from the main reference, etc. The tasks always complete, though. In addition, if you right-click and delete an associated item from a search result, it clears the search terms and puts you back into whatever collection you were searching in, unfiltered.

I am on OSX 10.6.8, Firefox 5, Zotero 2.1.8.

If I can help debug, please let me know.
  • I have the same experience
    my config:
    ubuntu 11.04 natty
    firefox 5.0
    zotero plugin 2.1.8

maybe that helps to replicate...
  • +1 on this.

Firefox 4.0
    Zotero 2.1.8
    Win 7 64 bit

One core goes to 100%, fields take an age to change (but always do). As soon as search is cleared the problem disappears - but this is obviously not an ideal solution.
  • I'm also seeing this slowness and Firefox hanging ("not responding," screen fade, or little processing circle) when I try to do various basic tasks like add more text to a Zotero note, add a reference by clicking on the icon in the navigation bar, etc. I'm using Firefox 5.0, Zotero 2.1.8.

I thought perhaps it was my old computer, which was slow in other ways, but I've now installed everything - my library included - onto a brand new computer, and I'm having the same issues, though they resolve quicker and perhaps happen a little less often. It is definitely not a memory problem on the new computer. I'd been noticing these kinds of problems on my older computer since I upgraded to FF 4 and then again with FF5.

I've been thinking about shifting over to the standalone version for everyday use to see if that would be quicker, but as I understand it that can't be used <i>with</i> Firefox.
  • Provide a Debug ID for an operation that's slow. This isn't normal Zotero behavior.
  • OK, I've enabled logging, but of course now I can't reproduce the slowness. Should I leave it logging and then submit it only when the problem happens again? (That could be a lot of lines.)
  • No, we don't recommend leaving that enabled, and a very long debug log probably wouldn't be useful anyway.
  • Ok, well I just encountered a slowness (FF not responding) problem while trying to add an attachment (link to file). Do you want the log, or the last part of it ? Should I submit it anyway?
  • Start a new thread, and provide a Debug ID for whatever you want.
  • Ok, I had another case of slowness which I was able to reproduce, so I did the logging just for that problem (when I repeated the steps). I started another bug report about it. Thanks for your help.
  • Same issue with Firefox 7 and Zotero 2.1.10