Style Request: [Developmental Dynamics]

Similar style:
Biotechnology and Bioengineering

Differences from similar style:
The main differences are what gets capitalized in the title of the article and how journals are abreviated. According to the website, it should be abbreviated according to Index Mendicus.

Here is are examples pulled directly from an article published in Developmental Dynamics:
Begemann G, Ingham PW. 2000. Developmental regulation of Tbx5 in zebrafish embryogenesis. Mech Dev 90:299–304.

Zhao X, Sirbu IO, Mic FA, Molotkova N,
Molotkov A, Kumar S, Duester G. 2009.
Retinoic acid promotes limb induction
through effects on body axis extension
but is unnecessary for limb patterning.
Curr Biol 19:1050–1057.

Here are examples of the same references using the Biotechnology and Bioengineering:
Begemann G, Ingham PW. 2000. Developmental regulation of tbx5 in zebrafish embryogenesis. Mech. dev 90:299-304.

Zhao X, Sirbu IO, Mic FA, Molotkova N, Molotkov A, Kumar S, Duester G. 2009. Retinoic acid promotes limb induction through effects on body axis extension but is unnecessary for limb patterning. Current biology 19:1050–1057.

Link to style guide:
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/journal/10.1002/(ISSN)1097-0177/homepage/ForAuthors.html

(under the section References)

-Thanks
  • The style prints whatever is in the title field wrt capitalization - if it doesn't, re-install the style.
    For journal abbreviations:
    http://www.zotero.org/support/kb/journal_abbreviations
    If the styles are otherwise identical I would put up a version of Developmental Dynamics as a copy (dependant style) of Biotechnology and Bioengineering - let us know.
  • Were there changes made to Biotechnology and Bioengineering style recently? I just reinstalled the style and now it outputs references quite differently:

The journal titles are now italicized and the journal number is bold.
  • actually yes - a couple of days ago - that's correct for the journal, but I take it not for Dev Dyn?
  • no it's not. which is strange because i am looking at the most recent issue of Biotechnology and Bioengineering and the references don't have the journal titles italicized and don't have the volume numbers bolded.

also, i wasn't quite following why you included the link on journal abbreviations 2 posts ago.
  • the link because you wrote this:
    "and how journals are abreviated. According to the website, it should be abbreviated according to Index Mendicus."
    I'll check what happened with the style
  • ah I see - I'll revert this asap. Oddly, the html version of the article has the italics and bold, but not the pdf/paper copy. Obviously the latter is the better guide, I was in a hurry and didn't even consider the possibility that they could be different.
  • i see. so depending on where i import the bibliographic information it might pull the journal abbreviation with it. is there a way to update my library so that it inputs the appropriate abbreviations?
  • edited June 16, 2011
    nope, sorry, not atm.
    edit: that is, beyond inputting them individually by hand.
  • taking a stab at editing the existing XML file for Biotechnology and Bioengineering. How do I set the code to remove periods from the Journal Abbreviations?

I was able to remove italics from the journal title and also remove bold form the journal number.
  • great. See here when you're done:
    http://www.zotero.org/support/dev/citation_styles/sharing styles

For your question - add strip-periods="true" as in:
    <if type="legal_case" match="none">
    <text variable="container-title" form="short" strip-periods="true"/>
    </if>
  • do you want me to start a new thread or post the gist link here?
  • here is fine - thanks.
  • https://gist.github.com/1030821

in the meantime how can i load it on my end so that i can use it now?
  • just drag the csl file into any open FF window - you'll be prompted to update the style. You'll likely have to switch styles back and forth in your document (if you have a document with the style at the moment).
  • So - is this style identical to the correct Biotechnology and Bioengineering style as far as you can see?
  • as far as I can tell. I have to admit I only made the strip periods change to apply to journal titles. I don't know that it will apply to books, but then again i don't know of any books that have abbreviations.
  • actually according to biotech and bioengineering:

Journal titles should be abbreviated according to the Chemical Abstracts Service Source Index. but the abbreviations aren't decided in the XML file correct? it's how/where you retrieve the metadata?
  • two things:

1) I tried to open the csl file in FF. I was not prompted to update style.
    2) I tried validating using validator and it picked up errors.
  • edited June 17, 2011
    the only problem validating are the missing
    <contributor> tags around Michael's name and e-mail.
  • when i use the Test Pane
    I get this error:

Error parsing style:
    SyntaxError: XML tag name mismatch (expected info)
  • did you fix the contributor tags?
  • i did.

should it look like this:

<author>\
    <name>First Last</name>\
    <email>XXX@gmail.com</email>\
    </author>\
    <contributor>\
    <name>First Last</name>\
    </contributor>\
    </contributor>\
    <name>First Last</name>\
    <email>XXX@doube.net</email>\
    </contributor>\

I'm going back to re-edit the original Bioengineering and Biotechnology Style. I think I might done something when I copied and pasted.
  • no - everything is fine - the style is just missing
    one <contributor> before Michaels info and a
    </contributor> after Michael's info.

wrt to what you have above - the second to last contributor tag shouldn't have an end slash, i.e.
    <contributor>
    <name>First Last</name>
    <email>XXX@doube.net</email>
    </contributor>
  • Is there a way I can send you the two CSL files? one works and the other one doesn't, the only difference being that in the one that doesn't work I made changes to the title, id , link, contributor summary and link fields...
  • why not post them to github - really much faster for me.
  • yeah I just noticed that last end slash...ok will try it out and then post both to github.

thanks for all your help
  • i figured out the problem...at the end of every line for some reason between copy and pasting a "\" was added.
  • that suggests that you're not working with a suitable text editor - what did you use?
  • TextEdit
  • that works well in principle, but you need to use the right settings - one of the Mac users would have to chime in. I think it has an RTF mode that might be turned on by default and you'd want to switch it to plain text.