Mac Word 2011 Not Connecting to Zotero

Zotero and MacWord integration have been working fine until upgrading to Firefox 4 Now, whenever I try to peform any function from the zotero script menu in Word, it starts to work (for example, inserting the generic {Citation} field) but when it gets to the point where it appears it should be trying to open up Zotero in firefox, nothing happens. it will sit there for several minutes and just do nothing. The Zotero dialog box never appears.

After being in this limbo for some time, if you close Firefox and Word you get this error in Word: "zotero experienced an error updating your document COMMAND: app(u'/Applications/Microsoft Office 2011/Microsoft Word.app/').activate()"

I have uninstalled and reinstalled all of the Zotero plugins and still no luck. what can I do?

Running: Firefox 4.0.1, MS Word for mac 2011, Zotero 2.1.6, Zotero MacWord Integration 3.1.2
  • and Python?
  • sorry, yes, PythonExt 2.62
  • edited May 19, 2011
    Can you generate a report ID after re-triggering the error?
  • Report ID: 455908769
  • There's no Zotero error in that report. Re-trigger the error message and generate another.
  • unfortunately, the action that triggers the error message in Word is when I close Firefox, so there isn't a firefox/Zotero error to report. I did discover something interesting. There is this phantom window called sync [zotero documentation] that i can see when i do an expose on my desktop. could this be part of the problem?
  • i got the same problem. updated everything, re-installed the plug-in. nothing helped.

Zotero 2.1.7
    MacWord Integration 3.1.2
    PythonExt 2.62_2.54 (it says it only supports Firefox 4 with the 2.54 system)

I also generated a report: 528709103, but it also doesn't show any Zotero-related issues.

however, for the mysterious error message appears independently from closing firefox or not. when i try to insert the citation, the placeholder appears and the programme selection switches to firefox (with zotero already running). but than nothing happens. if i than close word, it shuts down regularly, but immediately afterwards it starts again with a blank doc and the error message mentioned above showing up.

any idea?
  • i don't encounter problems with the standalone version of zotero yet. so might be a firefox-problem?
  • Can you provide a debug ID for what happens when you insert a citation?
  • Debug ID is D1095704626.

Hope that helps.
  • Try disabling ZoteroQuickLook.
  • Nope, does not help. I'll continue with the standalone.
  • I am having the same problem. I don't know how to generate an report or debug ID, as the error occurs when I close Firefox.

As an end-user with limited knowledge (I can't even generate error reports without tutorials), is the Standalone Alpha really an option for me?
  • I don't know how to generate an report or debug ID, as the error occurs when I close Firefox.
    What does that mean?
  • I mean that, as I understand it, the Zotero Debug Output Logging needs to be enabled to record the output, but when I exit Firefox (in order to trigger the error) it turns off.

Plus, I guess it's a Word error, so there wouldn't be anything to report anyway.
  • Try deleting localstore.rdf in your Firefox profile directory. If that doesn't work, does the {Citation} field in Word disappear if you press escape after clicking the button to add a citation?
  • Deleting the profile did it. Thanks. I should have thought of that.

These forums are crazy-productive!
  • Oh wait, broken again. I tried pressing escape, and the {Citation} field did not disappear.
  • edited August 1, 2011
    If you delete localstore.rdf again and restart Firefox, is it fixed temporarily? If so, at what point does it become broken again?
  • Hello Again -

It is not fixed again. It broke again the first time when I opened a second new document and tried to insert a citation.
  • I am having the same problem when adding a reference to my document either the word citation between brackets appear or nothing happens at all!
    I had an error message also appearing but got rid of it my reinstalling an older version of firefox, stil no luck! HELP working on my thesis and time is critical now
  • I am working on firfox 3.6.17 right now,Microsoft office for MAC 2011
  • Try the 2.1 branch XPI and let us know if it fixes things. If it works, you should make sure to install Zotero 2.1.9 manually when it is available (should be in a week or two).
  • Simon,Nothing happened after downloadig 2.1 branchXPI still can't add references into my document ..HELP plz
  • Shall i go back to the newest version firefox 5.0.1 and try 2.1 branch XPI ?
  • khateebs, try deleting localstore.rdf in your Firefox profile directory as we suggested above. If that doesn't work, generate a debug ID and report ID after re-triggering the issue.
  • Debug ID D976778452
  • khateebs, you tried to insert a citation between clicking "Enable" and "Disable"? If so, Zotero isn't getting any message from Word at all, and this is a different issue from above. Try these steps.
  • I reinstalled word components and still not working its giving me nothing when I try citation
  • Did you restart Word?
This discussion has been closed.