Mac Word 2011 Not Connecting to Zotero

2»
  • yes i restarted the word,Zotero gives me the word citation between brackets and when i quit the word the zotero add/edit window then shows and a message telling me that Zotero can not find an open document???

I tried Zotero on anoter document and I was able to cite the document ,but isn't Zotero made for huge documents to save time?I'm talking about a 700 page document,what can I do I?
  • Zotero is slow handling large documents with Word on OS X. You'd be best off splitting up your document into smaller files, and then combining them at the end.
  • If I split the document won't it affect my numbering of citations and the bibliography at the end?if I have another document for the other half won't it start numbering starting from (1) again?
  • If you combine it at the end, choose the Refresh command from the Zotero menu, and wait until it finishes updating (it may take quite a while), then the document will fix itself.
  • ok I will try it and let you know, thanks
  • Splitting my document did not change anything.I am still getting an error message that Zotero can not find an open document!
  • I opened a new blank document to add my bibliography "just to know the order of my articles" but it won't add it to the (1 page) document,Is there a way I could know the numbering of my articles from Zotero's window "because you know its arranged in alphabetical order, and not according to the order in my document"?
  • HELLO,
    I wonder if Mac office 2011 and Zotero are working well to gether or is it less trouble to use mac office 2008.
    Thanks
    sherrvin
  • Zotero works fine with Mac Office 2011 in general-- some isolated users have had trouble, but those troubles arise from specific configuration issues, and can affect Office 2008 as well.
  • I had a running version of Zotero 2.1.8, Word 2011 and OSX Lion.

Today I merged a libriary from an old MAC to the one on this present MAC by snycing first the Zotero Libriary on the old mac, and then the libriary on the new mac. I have not been able to cite using Zotero since then. Word simply freezes when I klick on any Zotero command. I can still access other macros in Word.

Most (nearly 600) items in the Zotero Libriary were not indexed. 4 Items are indexed. I cannot index these items by pressing Index. If I do that, nothing happens.

Any help would be most welcome!
  • khateebs, what error message are you getting exactly?

hjhoffmann62, migrating a library shouldn't cause problems with Word integration on its own. Did you move/migrate anything else?
  • I only syncronised the Zotero Libriary yesterday to have access to the reference collection in the libriary. Some time before that, I had imported one or 2 references to test whether Zotero worked on the new computer.

FloJo, another Application that has been stable on my Macs for years now, also stalled yesterday.
  • Its a message saying that Zotero can not find an open document, and after I close my document Zotero citation appears!
  • khateebs, can you write out the exact error message, and also provide a report ID after re-triggering it?

hjhoffmann62, with Firefox running, can you open /Applications/Utilities/Terminal, and copy and paste the following there:

ls -la ~/.zotero* /Users/Shared/.zotero*

Then press return, copy and paste the text that appears below, and post it here.
  • Last login: Tue Aug 9 22:24:24 on ttys000
    Summer-Khatibs-MacBook-Pro:~ Summer$
  • the error message says "Zotero could not find an open document.please open a document and try again"
  • Here goes:

Last login: Mon Aug 8 22:15:20 on console
    line-pc:~ hansjurgenhoffmann$ ls -la ~/.zotero* /Users/Shared/.zotero*
    prw-r--r-- 1 hansjurgenhoffmann wheel 0 27 Jul 22:49 /Users/Shared/.zoteroIntegrationPipe_hansjurgenhoffmann
    prw-r--r-- 1 hansjurgenhoffmann staff 0 9 Aug 05:46 /Users/hansjurgenhoffmann/.zoteroIntegrationPipe
    line-pc:~ hansjurgenhoffmann$ ls -la ~/.zotero* /Users/Shared/.zotero*
  • I tried splitting my 700 paage document and still having error..help
  • I splitted it into 4 parts
  • khateebs, can you add a citation to a completely new document? If so, it's probably still just slow. 175 pages is still a long document for Word for Mac to deal with.

hjhoffmann62, assuming you have administrator access to your computer, try closing Firefox and pasting the following into the terminal:

rm -f ~/.zotero* /Users/Shared/.zotero*

Then open Firefox. If things still don't work, provide the output for the command from my earlier post again, and provide a report ID.
  • yes I can add a citation to a "1 page" document.
  • I tried splitting the document into "100 pages" at a time .I got a different error message it says "Zotero experienced an error updating your document COMMAND.app(u'/Applications/Micrsoft office 2011 Microsoft Word app/').active_document.fields [183].field_code.content.get()"
  • Provide a report ID after re-triggering the error.
  • report ID1825033370
  • There's no Zotero error in that error report. Re-trigger the error and try again.
  • yes it gave me same Command error messgae and I roported ID error right after.
    now its either giving me the word "citation" between brackets or nothing happens! and the document is now 83 pages!
  • Is there a way i can know the order of my references in my document from zotero? because the zotero library is arranged in alphabetical order.
This discussion has been closed.