Firefox 4. Any issues with Zotero?

Hello everyone. With the new release of Firefox 4 on March 23, 2011, it is reasonable to ask users that have upgraded their browser to this new release if they have encountered any issue in using Zotero. Please let the Zotero community know about your Zotero-Firefox 4 experience. Cheers.
  • Works fine for me.
  • Other than a "Toggle Tab" issue, it seems fine.

Some issues I had with the previous Zotero versions have been fixed. Not many people probably have to do this, but for one of my history clients I have to insert citations into an Excel spreadsheet. If the Zotero citation was from an online source the entire citation would be hyperlinked after pasting it in Excel. I had to right-click to remove the hyperlink and use Excel formatting to make the citation fit in the cell. Now, with Zotero 2.1.1 and Firefox 4.0, the citation pastes without a hyperlink. This is an exciting fix for me, because of course the world revolves around me. I still have to format the citation to fit in the cell, but at least I don't have to remove the hyperlink.

Another previous issue is also fixed. In the past, I disliked using the "Tags" window because each time I minimized the "Tags" window and then used the "Toggle Tab" icon to minimize the Zotero window back to only 30% it wouldn't work. I had to manually reduce the size of the Zotero window. Now, I can use the "Tags" window, then minimize it out of the way, then "Toggle Tab" and the Zotero reduces down to the 30%. However, sometimes I end up being in a different collection after minimizing, but that issue is posted on another discussion.

Overall, I really like Zotero. I've been using it for three years and highly recommend it.
  • I'm having an issue where zotero is locking up when I try to import from the clipboard...
  • @cdhollan: Can you open a new thread on that? That's not happening in general, so we need to figure out what's going on there. See http://www.zotero.org/support/reporting_bugs for instructions on how to get good debugging information.
  • Just seeing the FIrefox 4 threads. I always wait awhile before updating - can I take it that it is OK to upgrade to Firefox 4 now, Zotero is stable under it?
  • Firefox 4.0.1 is crashing everytime I click to insert a reference in Word (today). Any other experience such as this?
  • Been using zotero with the old Firefox but am planning on using Google Chrome. Would there be a problem with that?
  • not in general, but the standalone is not yet out of alpha (though you can use chrome with the stable Zotero in FF, too, but would, obviously, have to keep FF installed).
  • I am encountering a problem that's somehow similar to jimflowers' issue. I am using WIN7 Professional 64bit with Firefox 4.0.1 portable and LibreOffice 3.3.2
    When trying to insert a citation, I can see the grey „citation“ appearing in the document but the „insert citation dialogue box doesn't open. Instead Firefox freezes as well as LibreOffice. If I forcequit Firefox, then LibreOffice unfreezes and displays the following error:

„OpenOffice.org could not communicate with Zotero. Please ensure Firefox or Zotero Standalone is open and set to an online state and try again.“

I click ok after which this error is displayed again. If I restart Firefox portable and LibreOffice, I can usually insert a couple of citations before this problem re-occurs.
  • I had the same problem as paedagogik with Firefox freezing while inserting a citation (under MacOSX 1.6 with FF4 and OpenOffice). I can choose the desired Zotero item for the citation, but once I click Ok, FF4 locked up.

However, I had this problem three days ago - now everything seems to be working fine again
  • Please start new threads with separate issues. There are no general problems with Firefox 4, and, with the exception of Mac OS X 10.4 and 10.5 (not 10.6) users who want to use the Word plugin, upgrading is recommended for all users.
This discussion has been closed.