citation window automatic resize

when I add a citation in Mac Word, the window that opens (i'm calling it the "citation window" because i don't know what it's called) is always very narrow and requires that I manually resize it every time I add a citation (otherwise I can't read enough of the title/author/etc.). If i hit "multiple authors", it resizes it to the narrow size *again*. I spend more time than I want resizing that window.

Could the citation window be set to open wider, or could i resize it once and then each time I added a citation it would revert to that new, wider size?

thanks.
  • Post a screenshot somewhere and provide a link.
  • http://img8.imageshack.us/img8/7752/windowut.png
  • I should clarify that the window is wide enough to see the titles of items. the resize is necessary when there are multiple authors who have the same last name (a situation whose likelihood increases with the size of the collection).
  • I have the same request. It would be good if you can set the size of the window permanently.
    Thanks a lot
  • No comment? Maybe it is too trivial. If it is like that please let me know this easy solution.
    Thanks
  • I too find this current window size situation to be a bit of a 'pain'. With 2.09, once the window was re-sized, it would stay that way but not now. It seems that somehow the size is being reset to the default every time the window closes. Presumably it is not a big job to change this.
  • Just where is the appropriate code sections. I have searched in the Plug-in code but I know, unfortunately, too little of it. Please could somebody who know a bit more contribute something!
    Thanks a lot!
  • Thanks ajlyon, I tried a little in the proposed file, but it did not work.

But here: chrome/content/zotero/integration/addCitationDialog.js I made a find.

In line 215 (popup.resizeTo(1150, dialog.getAttribute("height"));)

and in line 229 (popup.resizeTo(900, dialog.getAttribute("height"));) I changed the numbers. Maybe this is not the best way but it worked.
  • Yes -- the logic is mainly in the JavaScript file. Glad this worked for you. Still, it sounds like there is a small issue if the window used to remember its size in Zotero 2.0.9, but doesn't any longer.
  • @lakik. Neat 'fix'. I've found the lines but how did you save the changes you made? I can see setting a different size for my iMac and my Macbook.

Thanks!
  • ok intrepid hackers, is there any way to make this work for me [i initiated this post!]? would i, like, find the file mentioned above and go in there and make some sort of a change to my individual version of zotero on my computer? i find that prospect terrifying...
  • it's actually more than that, I wouldn't recommend doing it yourself - (you'd have to also unpack and re-pack the .jar archive - it's not rocket science, but if the sound of "command line" terrifies you it's probably close...)
    You'll have to wait until someone actually fixes this to remember window size.
  • edited March 26, 2011
    [Edit: Please do not make these changes. Wait for 2.1.2.]

I think that Zotero in Firefox 4 is actually unpacked by default, so it's really just a matter of making one change to one file.

The file is [Firefox profile directory]/extensions/zotero@chnm.gmu.edu/chrome/content/zotero/integration/addCitationDialog.js

Make the change using a text editor (not Word!).

If you mess something up, you can reinstall Zotero and this will be fixed.

If you are confused about this, you may want to ask a tech-confident friend to make this change for you.
  • I see that Simon has actually addressed this in a recent change which will be in the next version - I'm not sure if this is going to fully fix your problem, but I'd expect it does and I wouldn't do any hacking before that:
    https://www.zotero.org/trac/changeset/8758
  • In light of this, please do not try to make the changes suggested above. Just wait for 2.1.2, which should be soon (there are some urgent regressions to be addressed).
  • Thanks! With 2.1.2 it is working without hacking something.