Help! Word could not communicate with Zotero

2»
  • edited October 6, 2010
    Can you try installing the MacWord Integration Trunk XPI and see if that does anything to help you? (Don't install the Extension Trunk XPI; it shouldn't be necessary.)
  • Hi Simon,

It worked! Thank you very much for your help!
  • I had this problem for reasons unknown. The command line:

echo 'MacWord2008 addCitation' > ~/.zoteroIntegrationPipe

worked, so I replaced the install.scpt section which builds the scripts (the only section that has the word 'MacWord2008' in it), with this, which cuts through all the cruft and just compiles the above command:

do shell script "osacompile -d -e \"do shell script \\\"echo 'MacWord2008 " & (item i of W2008_SCRIPT_COMMANDS) & "' > ~/.zoteroIntegrationPipe\\\"\" -o " & posixPathToScripts & "'" & (item i of W2008_SCRIPT_NAMES) & "'"

This solved my communication issue. Something in the original script must have been screwing it up.
  • Dear Simon, I really need your help!!!

I have the same problem as 0_0_0gi "Word cannot communicate with Zotero."

1: I have my account name does not contain any spaces.
    2: I tried the other solution posted in this discussion, but nothing happens when I click "Reinstall Word Components." I could not find any updates when I follow Firefox's Tools menu -> Add-ons -> Extensions -> Find Updates.

I am using
    Mac OS X 10.6.4
    MacWord 2008,
    Firefox 3.6.10,
    Zotero 2.0.8,
    PythonExt 2.6.2.20100203
    Zotero MacWord Integration 3.0b3

i red all your comments here to 0_0_0gi problem and i checked evrything.

I checked that zotero folder exist in the right place in "word script menu items",and when i run add bibliography script i have the following message
    do shell script "ls ~/.zoteroIntegrationPipe && echo 'MacWord2008 addBibliography' > ~/.zoteroIntegrationPipe"

when i open my firefox profile directory and i go to "extensions/zoteroMacWordIntegration@zotero.org/install, and open install.applescript and run, i see the dialog asking for the word script menu items folder so I locate the folder, a window open with the following message:
    zotero integration has been successfully installed, but word must be restarded before it can be used. So i restarted word but i still have the same error : "Word cannot communicate with Zotero."
    by the way this is the install.scrpt that appeared (in the second message)
    thanks for your help
  • edited October 6, 2010
    part 2 of my comment to Simon:

by the way this is the install.scrpt that appeared

[script removed — D.S.]

I WOULD REALLY APPRECIATE YOUR HELP AND THANKS IN ADVANCE
  • Can you take a screenshot of the error message you are receiving and email it to support@zot...org?
  • Hi guys!

I just installed Zotero for the first time and have this exact same problem.

First my versions of everything:
    Mac OS X 10.6.5 german
    Firefox 3.6.13 german
    PythonExt 2.6.2.20100203 (the one directly from zotero)
    Zotero 2.0.9 german
    Zotero MacWord Integration 3.0b7
    Word 2008 version 12.2.7 (100910) german

Second my attempts of troubleshooting:
    - Zotero folder with scripts is located in my localized directory Microsoft User Data / Word Script Menu Items.
    - The general troubleshooting advice of reinstalling these scripts and selecting the appropriate folder does not help. Several tries, reboots of either my mac or word or firefox in any combination or sequence does not help.
    - Running "ls -l ~/.zoteroIntegrationPipe" in terminal comes up with "No such file or directory", so i guess the problem must be somewhere around here but that's where I got stuck.

I'm thankful for any ideas! Would be really happy about being able to use Zotero! :)
  • Try

ls -la /Users/Shared/.zoteroIntegrationPipe*

in Terminal and see if that shows anything. We moved the pipe several releases ago.
  • Ok, that is successful in finding a pipe with my username attached to the end:
    -rw-r--r-- 1 502 wheel 0 22 Mai 2010 /Users/Shared/.zoteroIntegrationPipe_stefan
  • Anybody some more ideas please?
  • I fixed it. Somehow there was something wrong with the permissions of the pipe so I deleted it by hand via the command line, restarted Firefox so that the pipe would be generated again and it worked. Now the output of the ls statement looks like this:
    prw-r--r-- 1 stefan wheel 0 16 Dez 12:20 /Users/Shared/.zoteroIntegrationPipe_stefan
  • I hope this is an appropriate thread for this...as it relates to 3.6.13 update issues and lack of Word Zotero link.

I have updated to 3.6.13 recently on a MAC Mini; and now under word scripts there is no reference to Zotero and when I go into about this menu it sends me to MS user data folder where there is nothing! When I do a spotlight search for Zotero, nothing seems to be on the computer.

I have installed and updated
    Pythonext 2.6.201000203
    Zotero 2.0.9
    Zotero Macword integration 3.0b7
  • Thanks for prompt response and apologies for my not getting it immedaitely but might I ask you to guide me to which part of the page I am to respond to? There is one piece titled: "Zotero toolbar doesn't appear" and another under Mac OSX called "Component loading error". Both might be relevant. Shall I delete Python and reinstall it? Or do I need to do something from within the Word application to make it find the Zotero add in? Thanks
  • Hi,
    after upgrading, I have exactly the same problem, I tried as well all described approaches. I fail at running the install.applescript - it does not exist. I need help!

Thank you
    jo
  • Provide a report ID. Install.applescript doesn't exist anymore, and the issues above have been fixed, so this is probably not exactly the same problem.
  • Hi Simon,
    thankyou, there is no report ID. The error reads

Word could not communicate with Zotero. Please ensure that Firefox is open and try again.

I'm using
    Firefox 3.6.16
    Zotero 2.1.5
    MacWord Integration 3.1.2
    PythonExt from yesterday 2.6.2

THX
  • there is no report ID
    Meaning what? Did you follow Simon's link?
  • sorry. i thought the id was reported directly with the error, i'm not that used to programming ;-)

Fehler: Warning: unrecognized command line flag -foreground

Quelldatei: file:///Applications/Firefox.app/Contents/MacOS/components/nsBrowserContentHandler.js
    Zeile: 708

and now another one popped up:

Fehler: uncaught exception: [Exception... "Cannot modify properties of a WrappedNative" nsresult: "0x80570034 (NS_ERROR_XPC_CANT_MODIFY_PROP_ON_WN)" location: "JS frame :: chrome://global/content/bindings/autocomplete.xml :: onxblpopuphiding :: line 827" data: no]
  • That's still not a Report ID. Re-read the instructions, restart Firefox, re-trigger the error, and provide a Report ID.
  • Viz:
    If you think you've found a bug, check the Actions [gear] menu in the Zotero toolbar, before restarting Firefox, for the status of the “Report Errors…” menu option. If a potential Zotero error has occurred, “Report Errors…” will appear in black; otherwise, it will appear in gray and won't be selectable. If it is active, you can first use the error reporting wizard to submit an error report and then post the Report ID you received to the forums.
  • I'm sorry -
    the "Report Errors" menu appears in grey, but word is still "not communicating" with Zotero.

The error appears, when I try to add a citation into word.
  • Try reinstalling Zotero MacWord Integration in Tools->Add-ons->Zotero MacWord Integration->Preferences, or, if you are running Mac OS X 10.6, try upgrading to Firefox 4.
  • I had already tried this.

But I sorted the problem out yesterday by removing and re-inserting the apple-scripts in the "microsoft-benutzerdaten" - folder.

Thank you!
This discussion has been closed.