changing language settings of citation

Hello,

when I have Zotero insert a reference in the text (using open office) with multiple authors it automatically uses the Germna "und" instead of the English "and", as in: Smith und Lipsky 1997.
This is fine as long as I write a paper in German, but often I write in English.
Is there any way to change this?

Thanks,

The Gitty
  • I think you can change this by setting the locale in the
    extensions.zotero.export.bibliographyLocale to, say, en-us in the about:config firefox page.
  • thanks for your fast reply, unfortunately I can't figure out what exactlz you're suggesting to do.
    If I go into Zotero's setting and click export, there are only two other options (include URLs and Quick copy) no bibliography locale...
  • edited January 24, 2008
    If you type about:config into Firefox's location bar and hit enter you should see a comprehensive list of preferences.

Then paste extensions.zotero.export.bibliographyLocale in the filter box and it should pull up only that specific preference.

Change the value for that preference to en-us and you should be good to go.
  • I did that, double clicked on the preference and entered en-us, but it's still the same. I closed firefox and as well as open office, that didn't help either
  • Depending on your platform, it might need to be en-US (with US capitalized). You'll need to restart after changing the setting.
  • now it works. Thanks a lot!
  • The solution proposed at http://forums.zotero.org/discussion/1506/change-language-in-zoterofirefox/#Item_2 is more user-friendly
  • Vincent: Yes, but that changes the locale of Zotero itself and all installed extensions rather than just changing the citation language. If that's OK, that method's fine.

We'll be adding a UI option for the bibliography language pref eventually.
  • edited September 16, 2009
    Dear Dan,

adding a UI option would be really important for all non native english-speaking scholars. For it is very normal for those to write articles in their native langaguage as well as in english for international journals and as in my case (native german) in spanish because I work on that region and publish in latin-american journals as well. So it is really complicated to change all the time the about:config, restart Firefox (at least on my Mac under OS X 10.5 and Firefox 3.5 I need to restarte firefox to make the change work).

An easier way to change the languagage would really make zotero more usable for people who switch often between languages. The best way from my point of view as a user (don't know if too dificult to realize in programming) would be, that

1. the openoffice or word plugin detect the language setting of the document (within openoffice or ms word) and switches for the citation into that language by default (at the first use of zotero in that document when it also ask for selecting the citation style and the refrence style (reference mark or note mark,...)). And

2. in the "set document preferences" pane where I change the citation style there is an option to change manually that language setting.

At least in my view it is logically at that same point where I decide which citation style to be used where I decide in which language the article will be written because both depends on the journal it will be published in.

Thanks for all the good stuff yet programmed into zotero

olaf
  • I couldn't agree more with Olaf. Zotero seems very committed to catering to international scholars. But the present solution for switching language settings falls short of that objective. Are there any plans to change this in the (not so far) future? Or is this more complicated than it seems?

I also think this may actually prevent some people form adopting Zotero. Not everybody is likely to feel comfortable to go into the about:config and mess with the settings there, even though it seems harmless to the moderately computer savvy user.
  • I'd very much appreciate that feature too.
  • Any news on this topic? Seems quite important to me (not only as I am personally affected).
  • +1

I had expected this feature as well
  • +1 from me too.

This gets people in my laboratory in France all the time, especially students who bang their heads on this point and end up thinking Zotero is hopelessly broken. For us, this setting is almost always wrong (very few publications are in French, almost all are in English). The response of most students is just to edit the citation by hand, but this is a gotcha because as soon as they refresh or change journal formats, things go bad.

I would very much support the idea that Zotero takes the language from the Word/OpenOffice document itself as having two pieces of software managing different parts of the language setting of the document seems like a hassle that is bound to confuse people and lead to hand editing, which is what we want to avoid at all costs.
  • I've got to admit I reverted to EndNote for now, because of this and some other missing basic functions. I'll be happy to return later though!
  • Just to be clear for those requesting a "feature" here, the ability to change the language used in citations and bibliographies has always existed, as explained above and in the documentation. It just isn't currently configurable on a per-document basis.

The ability to configure the global setting in the UI should happen for 2.1. We don't have an estimate for per-document configurability, but it's still planned.
  • I hope its clear the per-document configurations is crucial to a useful tool outside of US/GB/Australia, I'm writing english and german texts, and I do not really appreciate to have to change hidden paramters everytime I switch a document, or to break one by using the wrong language setting.
  • axkibe - for what it's worth you don't break documents - I keep my language settings in English even while writing German documents - I only switch them once, right before sending out the document, refresh citations - done.
    Once that can be done through the UI and w/o restarting Firefox I'd think that's painless enough to be useful.
  • Well "breaking" was a too strong word ;-) It didnt happen yet, but chaotically as I am, I see myself already making a last minute change to a document and then send it off with the wrong zotero language setting. When it happens I'll make zotero responsible for my sloppiness and last-minute style :)

(I thought as workaround about hardcoding the texts like "et. al." vs. "u.a." in the custom CSL I'm using which is document specific anyway, but didn't find a suitable place where this is to be changed)
  • edited May 26, 2010
    I thought as workaround about hardcoding the texts like "et. al." vs. "u.a." in the custom CSL I'm using which is document specific anyway, but didn't find a suitable place where this is to be changed
    http://www.zotero.org/support/dev/csl_syntax_summary#terms
  • Thank you, that will work.
  • please support my feature request to add a per-document setting for the citation language
    http://forums.zotero.org/discussion/16112/perdocument-locale-setting-choosing-language/
  • Hi, I want to change my language setting into English (en-US), I tried the about:config trick, restarted firefox and my Mac, but it doesn't work. Any ideas what I could do?
  • which Zotero version?
  • Hi,
    I'm trying to get my Zotero 2.1.1 to show my citations and bibliography in Finnish (the "and" between two authors etc.) I have tried the about:config thing, and it works correctly for other languages, but if I try Finnish (fi-FI), the translations revert to English. As far as I can tell from reading forum posts, this is because the Finnish translation is currently unavailable. Am I correct? Is there any way to do the translation by hand other than waiting for a new version of Zotero?

If I understand correctly, the way translations are added to Zotero is that you submit the translation you have made. The gods of Zotero then add it to the newest published beta. My problem is, however, that I am holding a presentation on Zotero to my Finnish students and colleagues on Monday, and I really need the translations working by then lest I embarrass myself - I only realized the problem today since I work in English myself. Any hope left?
  • You can add localized strings for styles individually
    http://citationstyles.org/downloads/specification.html#locale
    that would be the short term solution - longer term you can help by writing and submitting a locale file
    http://citationstyles.org/downloads/specification.html#locale-files-basic-structure
    for a list of all terms to be translated see here:
    http://citationstyles.org/downloads/specification.html#appendix-iii-terms
  • edited March 19, 2011
    See also https://bitbucket.org/bdarcus/csl-locales/wiki/Home for some translation instructions. As adamsmith already indicated, the quickest way to add Finish translations is to use customized CSL styles in which you include the required translations.

P.S. All the links adamsmith and I provided are for CSL 1.0 styles, which you can find at https://github.com/citation-style-language/styles (the Zotero Style Repository contains mostly CSL 0.8.1 styles)
  • Also, you might want to consider using a different language for your demonstration which Zotero 2.1 already fully supports, like Norwegian (nb-NO or nn-NO). Otherwise people will be confused why their copy of Zotero doesn't support Finnish.
  • Thank you! It works as I thought, then. I'll see if I could find the time (and courage; the files seem rather intimidating) to translate a locale.
  • @adamsmith: I have version 2.0.9