Springer LNCS (Lecture Notes in Computer Science) Style Request

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone has created the style for Springer LNCS,
the style format can be found at
http://www.springer.com/computer/lncs?SGWID=0-164-7-72376-0

and is approximately like:
References

1. Smith, T.F., Waterman, M.S.: Identification of Common Molecular Subsequences. J. Mol. Biol. 147, 195--197 (1981)
2. May, P., Ehrlich, H.C., Steinke, T.: ZIB Structure Prediction Pipeline: Composing a Complex Biological Workflow through Web Services. In: Nagel, W.E., Walter, W.V., Lehner, W. (eds.) Euro-Par 2006. LNCS, vol. 4128, pp. 1148--1158. Springer, Heidelberg (2006)
3. Foster, I., Kesselman, C.: The Grid: Blueprint for a New Computing Infrastructure. Morgan Kaufmann, San Francisco (1999)
4. Czajkowski, K., Fitzgerald, S., Foster, I., Kesselman, C.: Grid Information Services for Distributed Resource Sharing. In: 10th IEEE International Symposium on High Performance Distributed Computing, pp. 181--184. IEEE Press, New York (2001)
5. Foster, I., Kesselman, C., Nick, J., Tuecke, S.: The Physiology of the Grid: an Open Grid Services Architecture for Distributed Systems Integration. Technical report, Global Grid Forum (2002)
6. National Center for Biotechnology Information, http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov

I would really be grateful to anyone who creates this style.

Thank you
  • Can you find me a similar style from the repository?
    http://www.zotero.org/styles

Have a look at the IEEE style and let us know what's different.
  • Hi,
    I faced the same problem, and tried to solve it by creating the LNCS style.
    However it isn't complete yet, but it solved my problem:
    http://www.box.net/shared/gmu80k4fvx
    If someone has the time to further enhance it, we can post it in the repository, because Springer is one of the best publishers in Germany, and many people would need this style.
  • if you tell me what's still missing I'd be happy to help.
    What I would need is a list of all differences between your style and the desired outcome.
  • Well the desired outcome is in the first post, what I worked out in the style is: "book", "book chapter", "conference paper" and "journal". I didn't try the "web page" or anything else.
    so the basic stuff are there. and as for the list of differences, maybe LNCS_Request can provide it. ;)
  • edited August 31, 2009
    oh, OK, that sounds pretty good. I think I'll put the style up later today then - I thought there were still actual errors left.

Added to the repository - please post any problems here.
  • edited February 1, 2010
    Hi,
    I added the style Springer LNCS (dev) from the styles page, when I try to switch to it from an already working OpenOffice.org document having Zotero IEEE Style, it says "An error occurred communicating with Zotero. Please ensure Firefox is open and try again." while Firefox is already running!
    In addition I can change the style to other styles like Chicago Manual of Style.
    I am using OpenOffice.org 3.1.1, Zotero 1.0.10 and Firefox 3.5.7 on Windows XP.
  • I don't believe that is an error that's caused by the style. But to be safe - what happens if you switch the style back?
    Otherwise:
    http://www.zotero.org/support/word_processor_plugin_troubleshooting_for_zotero_1.0
    If I switched the style back or change it to any of the other pre-installed styles (since I didn't add anything to them except IEEEwURL and SpringerLNCS (dev)), then everything is OK again.
    And here is another strange thing, I started a new document and cited some references using the Springer LNCS (dev) style. Everything was OK till I inserted a bibliography section, then I received the same error message. I changed the style to another one, then I could insert a bibliography section smoothly. This gave me idea, I went back to my old document and removed the bibliography section, and then I could change the style to Springer LNCS (dev) quietly, and when I tried to reinsert the bibliography section, again received the same error message!
  • ok maybe it is the style then - could you trigger the error and then send an error report from Zotero (the gears menu) and post the error ID here.

Dan - once it's there - anything helpful?
  • The style is broken. There is a reference to a macro called anon, but no such macro is defined. Just committed a fix. You can download the fixed style from SVN. The link to SVN is at the bottom of the styles page.
  • And now that I take a closer look, the style does not conform to the springer style guidelines. As I need the style myself, I will fix it now and commit soon.
  • Some more fixed added. Now it should conform to Springer style guide.
    Thanks, now it is working pretty well, although there is an invalid label besides the style in styles pages: http://www.zotero.org/styles
  • validator says:
    #

Error: Attribute separator not allowed on element group from namespace http://purl.org/net/xbiblio/csl at this point.

From line 87, column 4; to line 87, column 24

rnal">↩ <group separator=" "> ↩

that should be group delimiter I guess?
  • Correct. This is fixed and committed now.
  • Suggestions for LNCS style:

- use Journal Abbr instead of full Journal Title

- use In: <conference name> rather than the proceedings title
  • I've changed journal title to journal abbr. should show up in the repository soon.

I'm not clear that conference name is preferable to proceedings title. I would guess if the proceedings are published and the title is different from the conference, that's what should be used.
    If there are no published proceedings, you should use presentation instead.
  • I only know of a handful of examples of LNCS style, e.g., see here:

ftp://ftp.springer.de/pub/tex/latex/llncs/latex2e/instruct/authors/typeinst.pdf

You're probably right that if proceedings title exists, that takes precedence. But if it doesn't exist, the current style doesn't seem to fall back to conference name, and not with the "In:" prefix that LNCS wants.

Numbers 2 and 6 in the bibliography seem like they just use conference names. Number 2 also lists proceedings editors, and I've no idea how to enter that in Zotero either.
  • proceedings editors are entered just like any other editors.

If there is a published volume of conference papers, its title should go into the proceedings title, even if it's the same as the conference title. These are essentially like edited book volumes and many styles just treat them like book sections/chapters without defining a separate style for papers in conference proceedings - and that only works if the title is in the proceedings field.

If there is no published volume, I'm not sure what Springer wants, (all examples we have are published) but then the the item should be "Presentation".

So I'm not inclined to change this.
  • Sigh. Spam above.

You're right about editors, I was confused.

For a conference paper, LNCS seems to be missing a space between page numbers and publisher.

1. Wooley, R., Was, C.A., Schunn, C.D., Dalton, D.W.: The effects of feedback elaboration on the giver of feedback. In: Love, B., McRae, K., and Sloutsky, V. (eds.) 30th Annual Conference of the Cognitive Science Society. pp. 2375-2380Cognitive Science Society, Washington, DC (2008).

Oh, and if I have both a conference name and a proceedings title, APA 6th uses both, as below.

Wooley, R., Was, C. A., Schunn, C. D., & Dalton, D. W. (2008). The effects of feedback elaboration on the giver of feedback. In B. Love, K. McRae, & V. Sloutsky (Eds.), 30th Annual Conference of the Cognitive Science Society (pp. 2375-2380). Presented at the 30th Annual Conference of the Cognitive Science Society, Washington, DC: Cognitive Science Society.
  • It's been about 24 hours, and I still don't see the updated style at zotero.org/styles.
  • Dan - could you have a look? The commit went through fine.
  • edited January 20, 2011
    That style was hanging the preview-building script for some reason, but it appears to have fixed itself. Should be up now.
  • I've just updated the style with the latest version (Jan 19), and I'm getting two oddities:
    - I have a Book Section; I'm getting no space between the pages and the publisher (300-325John Wiley)
    - When I have multiple citations ( [19,29,31] ) there's no space between them. The LNCS volume I have in front of me formats those as [19, 29, 31].
    Is it possible to fix these 2 things?
    Thanks!
  • vmegler - fixed the page-publisher issue (sorry, overlooked that above) - fixed version should show up soon. Can't replicate the other issue - I get a space there and the style puts it there
  • Thank you! ... but ... could you make the same fix to the "LNCS Sorted" version"

Also, the multiple citations problem is in the "LNCS Sorted" version - you're right, it isn't in the "plain not-sorted" one.
  • I still encounter problems with the LNCS and LNCS sorted styles.

1) There is an extra white-space in front of the first author. This leeds to a ragged left margin.
    2) The colon after the list of authors is missing.

Is there a chance for a quick fix? Otherwise I have to hack it myself! :-)
  • That's gotta be a Zotero 2.1 issues - those things work in 2.0.9 - an no, I don't think I can get to this very quickly.
    Style issues keep piling up... sigh.
  • Alright - I already fixed the white-space problem. Still messing with the missing colon. Whatever I put into the suffix attribute is constantly ignored by the word plugin.