Opera/Chrome/Safari support

Hi,

I'm just wondering since those browsers have added extension support, does Zotero have any plan to support Opera and Chrome/Safari?
I'm no coder here, but I have seen many Firefox extensions got ported to Chrome with little or no feature loss.

I'm using Opera as my primary browser, and since I use Zotero, I'm using Firefox exclusively for my academic research purpose.

I'm sure users that prefer not to use Firefox will appreciate this.
Thanks
  • Cool, thanks for the heads-up.

But I can't seem to find Opera mentioned there.
    Does it imply there will be no support for this browser?
  • http://forums.zotero.org/discussion/15204/opera-extensions-now-allowed/

You'll also be able to edit items on the website via any browser.
  • Opera will be supported by the bookmarklet feature, but the core team does not plan on making a fuller extension for Opera. That said, Zotero Everywhere shifts most of the hard parts of Zotero's functionality to Zotero Standalone (and the online library), so it would be relatively simple to port the IE, Safari and Chrome extensions to Opera.
  • edited December 27, 2010
    Pretty much disappointing, considering you guys got a working Safari/Chrome extension that is relatively simple to be ported to Opera extension, but you decided not to make it available to Opera, anyway.

I do understand your making decision based on Opera market share.

Since you said "other browsers are welcomed", I think you should provide a working API.
    Edit: Just noticed there is "Zotero WebAPI" mentioned so nvm

Oh well, a nice way of losing your user-base IMO.
  • Relative is my term, speaking as an enthusiast but not a member of the team.

All the code for the extensions is publicly available and open source, and anyone with interest in creating an Opera extension is certain to find the core developers more than happy to advise them on the process.
  • edited December 27, 2010
    Okay, I appreciate your taking time giving a comment or two regarding my query. :) Thank you.

In case anybody interested, I believe there is a thread in My Opera forum dedicated to "Extensions wish-list" query. From what I understand some people from Opera dev team suggest they are interested in porting Firefox add-on to Opera's extension.

I'm quite Zotero is included somewhere in the wish list. :)
  • As always, thanks ajlyon for being a good sport and keeping the home fires lit over the holidays.
This discussion has been closed.