opera - extensions now allowed!

opera version 11 will allow extensions in the browser (alpha versions have been out for a few weeks now). hopefully this will allow zotero to be integrated. although, i'm very happy to hear about progress on the stand alone version.

this is essentially the last remaining piece of the puzzle before i permanently switch my laptop and netbook, exclusively, to Ubuntu.

keep up the good work!
  • Zotero Everywhere had previously promoted using bookmarklets to integrate opera (and others) with the stand-alone version.
  • An interested party might be able to look at the Internet Explorer and Chrome plugins and produce an Opera plugin, but my understanding is that barring a major shift in the browser market, there will not be any more browser plugins coming from the core team.

This is rather similar to the position taken with word processor plugins-- two are maintained (Word and {Open|Neo|Libre}Office, and others are welcome but not forthcoming from the core team.
  • I'll say though - if you're switching to Ubuntu (i.e. open source) anyway, why would you want to keep with an closed source browser, considering that there are now _two_ excellent open source alternatives (i.e. FF and Chromium), both of which will work nicely with Zotero.
    I don't mean to preach - to everyone her own browser - but once you're going open source, that seems a particularly odd area to remain with proprietary software.
  • I am very very disappointed that Zotero will not be supporting Opera. I have been using Opera for about 8 years now and it is an integral part of my work style. While I understand how Opera's small market share would affect the decision to support it nevertheless there is a very strong argument that Opera has been consistently the most innovative browser over the last decade and I would have thought a development team like that at Zotero would appreciate this.

The requirement that I have to use FF to use Zotero has put me off using it until now. I strongly dislike FF - I would even prefer to use IE8 in preference to it. I use Chrome / Chromium as a second choice these days.

@adamsmith
    "'ll say though - if you're switching to Ubuntu (i.e. open source) anyway, why would you want to keep with an closed source browser, considering that there are now _two_ excellent open source alternatives (i.e. FF and Chromium), both of which will work nicely with Zotero.
    I don't mean to preach - to everyone her own browser - but once you're going open source, that seems a particularly odd area to remain with proprietary software. "

Well the decision to use Ubuntu can be about more than going to open source alone. I use Ubuntu on my laptop but still use Opera as my principal browser. Open source is an issue but so are open standards and Opera has been in the lead in pushing for and developing open standards on the web before FF was heard of.
  • I second to the comment above. Opera may have a small share in the browser market but much capable browser than anyone out there in many ways. Extension support was a delayed feature but leaving out a significant minority is not a wise decision. I have FF on my Ubuntu but use it only because most of the banking sites refuse to conform to standards and don't work in many ways on Opera. But thats secondary issue. Opera users are far more significant in terms of "technological standards" and you'd find a very enthusiastic bunch of users. It has over 150 million users with both desktop and mobile users combined.

It may be a closed source browser but well look at the browser vulnerabilities and FF craps out along with IE. Similarly Chrome is pathetic in terms of Google Branding and apart from "speed", I find nothing else to speak of with minimal support. Opera trumps on everything; be it speed, usability, integrated mail (etc) and now extensions (which incidentally are standards compliant).
  • Everyone here would love to have an Opera extension for Zotero. That's why the extensions for Chrome, IE and Safari are open-source. The Zotero team doesn't have the manpower to do any more -- but as has been said again and again, anyone with interest in making an Opera one as well will find strong support from Zotero folks.
  • I'd like to add another voice to this topic. I'd love to be able to use Zotero with Opera. Opera's been my preferred browser for about 5 years, but I use Zotero a lot, which means I have to use Firefox.

I think it's a shame that the Zotero team don't have the manpower to produce an Opera extension - but, hey, they already produce, maintain and update a fantastic piece of reference management software!

So, if there is anyone out there who has the know-how to provide an Opera extension for Zotero - *please* do it!
  • I agree.....i am forced to use firefox but would love to use zotero with opera....since zotero's resources are limited, why don't the software engineers at opera consider writing the integration software?...judging by how amazingly, seamlessly opera (including opera-mail) operates, this would probably be a no-brainer for them.
  • +1
    Another vote for Opera support - for one simple reason:

I research in remote locations in the developing world often connecting through my phone's GPRS connection. Opera's "Turbo" feature (which compresses pictures and web pages via proxy) is critical in being able to access the internet.

Currently, I do a preliminary search in Opera, then I find what I need, and copy/paste the URL into FireFox, wait 5 minutes while the page loads, then import the citation.

Please consider Opera support for those of us not fortunate enough to have speedy internet.
  • as stated above, unlikely to happen from Zotero dev, though third parties always welcome -
    As for Opera Turbo -
    https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/fastun-tool/
    looks like it's about the same, but never tried.
  • Firefox used to be great, but it has become horribly antiquated (because it is horrible slow and spotty). Get on it Zotero... I'll be waiting for an option!
  • is it really too much to ask to do even a cursory search of the forums or the documentation before you complain?
    http://www.zotero.org/blog/announcing-zotero-3-0-beta-release/
    I gather from twitter that even an Opera connector is forthcoming.
This discussion has been closed.