Saving abstract change takes 60 seconds...

2»
  • It might have been pure hope, but while lag in general increased with the Javascript debugger turned on, the pause when working inside search results did seem to decrease substantially while the debugger was on. It was very strange, and so I don't think I believe it, but that was what I think I saw, so figure it can't hurt to throw it out there.

Thanks for the info. on the debugger, too. Much appreciated.
  • I'm afraid there's not really anything I can do about this, since I can't reproduce it and we've never seen it before. At this point you've managed to get it to happen and to go away completely. You're going to have to figure out the difference between those two outcomes.

You might want to try resetting Zotero in the second profile to use the default data directory and copying zotero.sqlite (without the 'storage' directory) from the old profile to the new one, in case it has something to do with the presence of the attached PDFs (which could be one reason I couldn't reproduce it).
  • You might also try within different collections (I assume all your reports above are from the root library), in case it's related to the number of items in the view.
  • Dan: Are you trying this within search results? I had always interpreted this as an unfortunate side-effect of Zotero needing to keep checking that my editing wasn't affecting whether the current item was still a result for the current saved search. It's never a minute, but 10-15 seconds is not uncommon.
  • Jonathan didn't say anything about a saved search—as far as I can tell he has only referred to a quick search.
  • It was not saved search, just quick search.

And something finally clicked with all this from my sysadmin days and I did a disk check with Disk Utility this afternoon, and my hard drive had been corrupted. I let Disk Utility repair my hard drive, and now while there is some lag, there is nothing near as bad as before. I think that might have been the problem.

Sorry to take up so much of your time, but thank you all for your help, and I'll let you know if the problem comes back.

Jon