Advanced search: bug with "numéro" (French)

With the French version of Zotero (i.e. when Firefox "general.useragent.locale" is fr), if you perform an advanced search, there is two "Numéro" field (Number). Hovering my mouse over each of them does not identify them.
I switched to English version to understand the problem: they seem both to correspond to "Issue".

Directly-related issue: You can't search for "Docket number" with French version of zotero. However, if I switch to English version, a mouse over "Number" shows it includes "docket number".

The French locale (zotero.properties) is correct on these strings however.

Thanks.
--
Zotero 2.0.9
Firefox 3.6.11
Win7
  • Don't want to bother the devs but could this be fixed? If you need more details, just tell me.
  • Directly-related issue: You can't search for "Docket number" with French version of zotero. However, if I switch to English version, a mouse over "Number" shows it includes "docket number".
    This is also true for "Bill number", "Public law number", "Report number", "Episode number", "Patent number"... (I did not test for "Document number" and "number")

I tried to understand what's wrong with French version but I have no clue.
  • Just a guess, but are the appropriate terms defined in the French localization of Zotero?
  • Thanks for your reply!
    Yes, they are (I checked zotero.properties).

I've tried to find the file which defines the list of searchable fields... advancedsearch.xul or .js?
  • I don't know much about this-- I only really do translator development -- but I think that the key sections are in searchDialog.js and searchDialog.xul . That said, I don't see what's wrong either.

I still think this has to be a problem with the localization, since it works in English. Something about the French terms perhaps that breaks the logic?
  • edited November 11, 2010
    I tried to remove diacritics (docket number is "numéro de requête") without success.

What has to be noted is that advanced search uses fallbacks but these fallbacks are different depending on locales.
    Ah.. I got it!

Languages:
    "Issue" in English is "Numéro" in French.
    And "Numéro" in French is both "Issue" and "Number"

Zotero:
    "Issue" and "Number" are both advanced search criteria in the neglish version.
    But Issue has no fallbacks whereas "Number" has fallbacks ("Bill number", "Docket number", "Document number", "Episode number", "Number, "Patent number", "Public Law number", "Report number".)

In French version, you have two "Numéro" because of the (right) translation of "issue" and "number" as "numéro"
    Finally zotero mixes everything up.

The solution is to differentiate the translation of "Number" and "Issue".
  • Can you reasonably fix this without mangling the French too much?
    I switch the translation of "Issue" to "Numéro (périodique)". [Périodique means periodical].

Advantages: magazine and journal articles are periodicals (newspaper too but has no "issue" field ATM)
    Drawbacks: That's a long expression (loss of space in the UI) and, above all, that seems to me counter-intuitive for French speakers. Indeed, if you perform an advanced search for "Numéro", you won't get any result for "Numéro (périodique)".

zotero.jar: chrome\locale\fr-FR\zotero.properties, line 253:
    itemFields.issue=Numéro (périodique)

I've been trying to solve this problem for a month: I'm happy!
  • Is there any hope for addressing the UI space issue with a shorter translation, or should this be committed to the repository for the next release of Zotero? If the latter, then can someone with commit access to the locales directory make this change?
  • It can be committed to the repo. (That's not useful to shorten the translation as "journal abbreviation", even in French, is longer).
    Thanks!
  • Hello all,

Could you fix this in the next release?
    That should be easy:
    zotero.jar: chrome\locale\fr-FR\zotero.properties, line 253:
    itemFields.issue=Numéro (périodique)

Thanks!
  • What's the issue here, exactly? Is it necessary to change this in the metadata pane, or just in the search window? Zotero is set up to localize search terms separately if necessary.
  • My "patch" changes both (metadata pane and search window).
    What is important, as I wrote it above, is to distinguish the translation of "Number" and "Issue", at least in the search window.
    Issue should be "Numéro (périodique)" and not only "Number".
  • I understand what your patch does. I'm asking if it's necessary to change it in the metadata pane as well, or if it's sufficient to change it in the search window.
  • I would say that it is sufficient to change it in the search window. But how can I test that?
  • edited February 16, 2011
    Add a searchConditions.issue string.
  • searchConditions.issue=Numéro (périodique) is right.

Note however that both solution (mine and yours) are slightly counter-intuitive for French speakers. My automatic behaviour would be to select "Numéro" (Number) in the search windows if I want to search for a specific issue.
    But that's far better than the *bug* we had until now!
  • OK, I've committed that change on the trunk.

You're saying that your preference would be to search for "Numéro" and have it search across both the number fields and the issue field?
  • Dan, in Z 3.0.1, there is -again- two "Numéro" in the advanced search window.
  • Could a dev comment on this?
    I haven't tested but searchConditions.issue=Numéro (périodique) should work as in 2.1.
  • This got reverted because the string only existed in the French localization. To make this stick we'd have to either add a searchConditions.issue to every locale or hard-code this in the code.

But you didn't answer my question above:
    You're saying that your preference would be to search for "Numéro" and have it search across both the number fields and the issue field?
  • You're saying that your preference would be to search for "Numéro" and have it search across both the number fields and the issue field?
    I'm not sure I see all the implications. I'd answer "yes" to your question if there is no item type which has both "issue" and "number" fields.
    Thank you.
  • ATM, magazineArticle and journalArticle have an "issue "field (and
    newspaperArticle may have an "issue field" in the future)
    None of them have a number (Bill number, Docket number, Document number, Episode number, Number, Patent number, Public law number, Report number).

I have no preference on this choice: I let you choose what's simpler for you (and won't break in future release).
    Then?
  • Any chance to get this resolved in the next update?
  • Someone asked me today what was wrong with "Numéro"...
    Dan, is there any drawback to add a searchConditions.issue to every locale as you suggested above ?
  • edited June 3, 2014
    OK, I've put in a couple fixes for this: one to fix the underlying problem of one search condition not working if there are two with the same localized name, and another to hard-code 'issue' as "Numéro (périodique)" for the French locale. If this comes up for other locales, we can considering adding a separate localized string for it, but for now I just added a special condition for it in the code.

You can test this in the 4.0 Beta.

Thanks for reminding me about this, and sorry for the delay here.
  • Great. Thank you very much !