style request : art and humanities

Hello,

I would like to ask if someone kindly can modify the Chicage Manual of Style to obtain a style which is more suitable for Europe in the field of Art and Humanistic Studies, which is the following:

Citation:
Jean-Luc Nancy, A l'écoute, Galilée, Paris 2002.

Bibliography:
Nancy, J. L., A l'écoute, Galilée, Paris 2002.

(in both the title a l'ecoute si in Italic)

I've treid to do it myself but I just did a mess!

thanks!

daniele
  • that doesn't even start being a sufficient description to produce a style.
    For a start, make sure there really isn't something similar in the list of styles.
    http://www.zotero.org/styles
    If your're sure of that, see
    http://www.zotero.org/support/requesting_styles
  • Hi Adam,

thanks for tutoring me and sorry for not being precise.

1. I've tried already my best to research the styles but with no success.

I couldn't find any conversation similar to my request.
    Name of style: I don't know the name of this style i just find it in many publication and academic studies in Europe.

the closest style is Chicago Manual of Style (Full Note with Bibilography)

Chicago Manual of Style (Full Note with Bibilography) :
    CIT: Jean-Luc Nancy, A l'écoute (Paris: Galilée, 2002).  
    BIB: Jean-Luc Nancy. A l'écoute. Paris: Galilée, 2002.  

NEW:
    CIT: Jean-Luc Nancy, A l'écoute, Galilée, Paris 2002.
    BIB: Nancy, J. L., A l'écoute, Galilée, Paris 2002.

the only differences I would like to fix are:

CIT:

1. no brackets for the edition etc.
    3. just comma instead than brackets before the edition etc
    4. the edition is after the title
    5. coming after a comma, city and date are not separated by comma.
    ex. Jean-Luc Nancy, A l'écoute, Galilée, Paris 2002.

BIB.
    1. after the title a comma instead than a full stop.
    2. the initials of the surname instead than full surname (we can also skip this)
    3. the rest of the bibliographic citation is the same as above. so the difference is that all is separated by commas, except for city and date at the end.

regarding articles and other things is fine as it is in Chicago.

I really appreciate any voluntary can create this customization...

cheers,

d
  • edited June 19, 2010
    modern humanities is probably closer to your style. The only difference is that it puts brackets around place publisher and date. But why do you request a style, if not for a specific journal?
    Or is there any given journal that your style conforms to? If so, your description should also be more precise, because you only describe books so far, and most likely there are differences for other item types.
  • Hi,
    I'm requesting a style for a PhD theses in Contemporary Art History at La Sorbonne.

Unfortunately in Europe using brackets is very rare. And it seems that there is no solution in all the styles of the repository.
    Modern humanities does not help better than Chicago.
    I can't find any journal because all the journals I read are anglosaxons and use brackets. But I still need to write in an european style. All books are written as I suggest in Francre or Italy.
    Sorry if I'm not being ortodox, I know I'm not suggesting all other item types because I just thought that with a few modifications on Chicago could work out for me... just looking for some help here...
  • how about one of the TAH styles?
  • I currently have a list of styles to go through before I'd get to this and I prioritize styles that are actually used/documented for journals or publishers, because it's more likely that they're going to be useful for more than one person. So if you can find something you can work with that'd be ideal, otherwise you'd probably have to wait a couple of weeks.
  • thanks but the ":" after the name. and the date between brackets is not good. the citation is also very short...
  • ok in the meantime I'll try to look for documented journals ... thanks.
  • here's an exemple from an online database of academic dissertations.
    http://www.tesionline.it/consult/preview.jsp?idt=21332&pag=2
    you can see the footnote
  • hello,
    are there chances to see that style born ?
  • Les modifications dont vous avez besoin sont assez simples à réaliser mais comme il s'agit d'un style personnel, la solution la plus rapide serait de vous en charger.
    Ce n'est pas très compliqué. Vous devez éditer manuellement le fichier .csl de départ (par ex. chicago) avec le bloc-notes (ou un éditeur de texte plus adapté à la programmation). Voyez ces deux pages: http://www.zotero.org/support/csl_simple_edits http://www.zotero.org/support/dev/csl_syntax_summary

Cela ne veut pas dire que l'on ne veut pas vous aider mais vous n'avez, en outre, pas donné toutes les précisions nécessaires: notamment comment les articles de revues ou chapitres d'ouvrages doivent-ils être cités?
  • Avez-vous essayé celui que j'ai adapté ? Il est disponible à l'adresse :

https://sites.google.com/site/llcommun/home
  • Enfin des Français ! très content de vous avoir retrouvé !

I write in Englsish, because it could be useful for Italian and other EU fellows.

Gracile : Before I had to go on with the process of modifications I wanted to make sure it did not exist already. The style I'm requesting is very common in Italy and in France (with minor variations, i.e. comma after the city or little inversions...) in all Humanistic academics... I was just very surprise to not find something similar ...
    It is true that i havent provided full details, because I still need to collect them.

I2Iafitte : thanks a lot for this link, it seems really useful, I'll have a check and let you know on this post.
  • edited November 4, 2010
    Dear I2Iafitte : "EHESS temporaire" seems really the good one. thanks a lot...

I'll test it and report.

Maybe just the question of inverting city and edition...
    Enfin des Français ! très content de vous avoir retrouvé !
    Un sujet entier est consacré aux styles français.

l2lafitte: maybe your style could be added to the repository?
    If you accept, I think one (adamsmith?) can do that...
  • Merci Gracile, tres bonnne decouverte!

l2lafitte : your style France-Sc-Hum.csl seems appropriate with academical publications (by the way is it really necessary to have the isbn n. included ?).

But maybe "EHESS temporaire" is the one more currently used in magazines, books, etc.

Do you know if there's a modification where the author name cames before the last name, when you cite in the footnote? ex.

NOT : Toop David, Ocean of sound: ambient music, mondes imaginaires et voix de l'éther, Paris, Kargo, 2008.

BUT : David Toop, Ocean of sound: ambient music, mondes imaginaires et voix de l'éther, Paris, Kargo, 2008.
  • I created EHESS-temporaire from various styles, originally in order to provide a style which corresponds with what we expect our masters students in history to produce.
    I've made the change you were looking for - placing first name before family name and you get hold of the result here: http://franziska.fr/ehess-temp-prenom-nom.csl
    Hi Clio,
    it looks great ! thanks a lot. only a doubt / question : For the footnote citation it's perfect. But for the bibliography it should rather be inverted (back to last name, name), in order to create an alphabetical order based on last name initials : how do you solve this?

One other thing in general for the EHESS : when inverted, last name and first name I think they should be separated by a comma.
  • ah, in that case you need to stick a name-as-sort-order="all" in the "author-bibliography" macro, that should sort it out.
    As for the general comment: actually, I am waiting for Zotero 2.1 to come out of beta in order to release a csl 1.0 style which uses small caps for the name - SMITH John - which looks better without the comma. The current 0.8 style is very much a temporary placeholder waiting for the next style which fulfills pretty much all our requirements.
    mmmmm . really weird. I've done what you said. it works in the preview of chrome, but at the end when I drag the citation it inverse name and last name. even if it is supposed to do it only for the bibliography... it seems a bug. or maybe it is not possibile to have 2 different values for citations and bibl ?
  • I think I get what you are doing. I take it you are "citing" by dragging a reference from zotero into a footnote rather than citing using the word/oo plugin? Dragging a reference from zotero will always produce bibliography output.
    There is no way for Zotero to know when you are dragging that you want to cite rather than creat a bibliography entry - if you want that distinction, you will need to use the plug-ins. If you want to continue citing by dragging the references (not really recommended), then you will indeed need to use two styles with different specs in the bibliography parts as that is what is being used.
  • you right ! that was what I was doing ! now I understand.

can I ask you one last tip ?

how could I inverse edition and city ?

Alexander Alberro et Blake Stimson (éd.), Institutional Critique : an anthology of artists' writings, Cambridge Mass., MIT Press, 2009.

To:

Alexander Alberro et Blake Stimson (éd.), Institutional Critique : an anthology of artists' writings, MIT Press, Cambridge Mass., 2009.
  • in the same style, change this:

<macro name="publisher">
    <group delimiter=", ">
    <text variable="publisher-place"/>
    <text variable="publisher"/>
    </group>
    </macro>

TO

<macro name="publisher">
    <group delimiter=", ">
    <text variable="publisher"/>
    <text variable="publisher-place"/>
    </group>
    </macro>

That should do the trick.
  • very clear! thanks a lot and sorry for being a bit lazy by asking :-)

I'll try to post the style for those who are interested in it...