Zotero in Ubuntu 10.4 Lucid Lynx

• edited May 19, 2010
    I've added this to the documentation - I used stuff by joehill, rogerdean, docbrown and Jon Rubin - thanks everyone for contributing.
    http://www.zotero.org/support/word_processor_plugin_troubleshooting#component_loading_error_on_ubuntu_linux
  • Thanks adamsmith. Hope you guys have noted that .doc use is broken as described above...
    Cheers
  • I'm aware of it, but I'm not part of the "you guys" that are relevant - I don't develop nor am I otherwise associated with Zotero - I'd assume, though, that Simon and Dan are aware of this.
  • Ah I see. Thanks for your involvement anyway!
  • rogerdean: see here
    http://forums.zotero.org/discussion/12582/unable-to-use-bookmarks-in-zotero-in-ubuntu-1004/#Item_16
    sounds promising
  • Thanks adamsmith for your documentation section (and everyone else for your work).

I switched to Ubuntu today and managed to follow your instructions successfully! I have only used Windows before today and I had absolutely no idea what I was doing - I just followed on faith and it worked (after googleing "where is sudo on Ubuntu?").

Grace
  • edited June 1, 2010
    After problems with openjdk, I reverted back to Suns JRE, this made it work in OPenoffice in "Reference Marks" mode but I get loads of long Java error dialogs (can submit screenshots) in Bookmark mode.

I tried a suggestion and uninstalled Ubuntu's openoffice and installed the vanilla version from openoffice.org but then nothing worked as all I got was a "Zotero was unable to modify your document" dialog whenever trying to insert a citation.
  • can anyone help? i am a novice ubuntu/lucid lynx user and seem to have got in over my head while trying to follow the instructions to install the sun-java6 update. i messed up the spacing typing into my terminal (should have cut & pasted!) and now, on top of not having success installing sun java6, when i try to open up my Synaptic Package Manager, the following message comes up & Package Manager will not open:

E: Type 'debhttp://archive.canonical.com/ubuntu' is not known on line 57 in source list /etc/apt/sources.list
    E: The list of sources could not be read.
    Go to the repository dialog to correct the problem.
    E: _cache->open() failed, please report.

Anyone have any suggestions??
    Thank you!
  • edited July 23, 2010
    try this:
    open the file /etc/apt/sources.list with gedit as a super user
    you can do that either by opening gedit as as super user
    sudo gedit
    and then opening the file
    or by directly typing
    sudo gedit /etc/apt/sources.list

find line 57 and add a space between 'deb' and 'http:....'
    save the file.
    Then update the repositories:
    sudo apt-get update
    that should fix you synaptic problem - somtimes it will also require a restart, but I wouldn't expect that.

Then retry getting your sun java installed.
    I suggest you follow the instructions on the documentation wiki:
    http://www.zotero.org/support/word_processor_plugin_troubleshooting#component_loading_error_on_ubuntu_linux
  • I hat the same Problem and did everything that was written onthe topic. But at one point I uninstalled the extension in openoffice. Ater that I couldn't install it in any way again. I uninstalled the opeoffice extension in Firefox and installed it again few times, but it didn't help. I even reinstalled tha whole Zotero, but it didn't help either. I simply can't recover Zotero in Openoffice. Help...
  • Many times, simply doesn't work. I lost yesterday a couple of hours trying to fix it. The zotero extension simply doesn't want to appear on the extenions list on Ooo.
  • Lost one more day... :(

I am stuck. I have already started maniging the citations in my PhD with Zotero and everything was OK untill I upgraded to Ubuntu 10.04 (Lucid). Than I got the message "Firefox could not load the component required to communicate with your word processor. Please ensure that the appropriate Firefox extension is installed and try again." Now I haven't Zotero at all (afer I once uninstalled it) - it's simply dissapeared in the Extension Mannager and I cannot install it again. When I install the openoffice integration inFirefox i recieve the message that it's been successfully installed. Then I go to Ooo and there is nothing in the Extension Manager.

I have installed the sun java and it functions. I have also deleted the other Java version, the Sun Java is the only option. Unfortunately, this didn't help me at all...
  • First, stop uninstalling and re-installing everything that doesn't work. It's going to cost you a lot of time, it's not going to help and it might even make things worse (probably you could have saved yourself a lot of trouble if you had never uninstalled the Ooo plugin).

Did you try this?
    http://www.zotero.org/support/word_processor_plugin_troubleshooting?s[]=word#openoffice_plug-in_directory_paths
    i.e. manually set the paths for java and soffice and then click the "re-install Ooo component" button.
  • Yes,you are right, the installing and re-installing has made the things worse...

>>During initial installation, or after triggering the “Reinstall OpenOffice Components” command as above, you see a select folder dialog with the title:

“Select the OpenOffice installation directory”<<

The only thing I see after clicking "Reinstall OpenOffice Components" is "Zotero OpenOffice Integration was successfully installed". No “Select the OpenOffice installation directory” dialog.

In the integration preferences window I see the automatically chosen locations for "Java uno runtime directory" and "soffice executable directory". Are this the locations that I should change?
  • edited August 2, 2010
    In the integration preferences window I see the automatically chosen locations for "Java uno runtime directory" and "soffice executable directory". Are this the locations that I should change?
    yes, that's what I meant, sorry, that's before, not after you press "Reinstall Ooo components"

Edit: oh, that's not me that's the documentation. oh well - try it anyway -
    it could be that the directories are already set correctly, in that case there is nothing to change.
  • edited August 2, 2010
    I guess that they are correctly set - when I click "detect openoffice.org paths" the program sets them automaticaly: the first under "file:///usr/lib/openoffice/basis-link/ure-link/share/java/" and the second under "file:///usr/lib/openoffice/program/". After I click "Reinstall OpenOffice Components" I recieve the notification "Zotero OpenOffice Integration was successfully installed". Butwhen I go to Ooo there is nothing there (both in the Extension Manager and in the toolbars).

By the way, when I tryed to follow the instructions from the documentation, and when I gave the comand “locate soffice” in Terminal, I got a looong list of locations...

EDIT: In the "long list" I found the location /usr/lib/openoffice/program/, where "soffice", "soffice.bin" and "sofficerc" are located. That is the location that was automatically detected in "Openoffice preferences". Therefore I think that it was correctly set...
  • I don't know then - Simon (who wrote the plugins) will have to take it from here.
    I guess the next thing I'd try is to manually install the Zotero_OpenOffice_Integration.oxt
    from Ooo, but lets wait if Simon has a better idea.
  • OK, thank you. I'll wait...
  • I moved from 0-point. I followed the instructions from: http://forums.zotero.org/discussion/12885/open-office-toolbar-nowhere-to-be-found/:

"Sounds like an OpenOffice problem, frankly, rather than a Zotero one. You can find the original .oxt in 'extensions/zoteroOpenOfficeIntegration@zotero.org/install' within your Firefox profile directory. Install that .oxt (which is all Reinstall OpenOffice Components is doing) manually, or figure out why you can't." (Dan Stillman, Jun 1st 2010)

I have Zotero now installed in openoffice, I have the toolbar back again also. But when I try to insert a quotation I recieve the same message from the beginning: "Firefox could not load the component required to communicate with your word processor. Please ensure that the appropriate Firefox extension is installed and try again". I have followed the operations from the previous discussion and from http://www.zotero.org/support/word_processor_plugin_troubleshooting#component_loading_error_on_ubuntu_linux. The sun java is installed and activated and it is the only java I have on my laptop
    installed at the moment. But nothing changes. So now I am on the beginning point again, without any idea what to do next...
  • edited August 2, 2010
    Try generating a report ID after triggering the error. This will help us figure out whether it's a Java issue or something else.
  • This is what I've got:

[JavaScript Error: "labelGetUbuntu is null" {file: "chrome://ubufox/content/overlay.js" line: 82}]

sync.zotero.org : server does not support RFC 5746, see CVE-2009-3555

sync.zotero.org : server does not support RFC 5746, see CVE-2009-3555

api.zotero.org : server does not support RFC 5746, see CVE-2009-3555

[JavaScript Error: "[Exception... "'java.util.zip.ZipException: error in opening zip file' when calling method: [nsIFactory::createInstance]" nsresult: "0x8057001e (NS_ERROR_XPC_JS_THREW_STRING)" location: "JS frame :: chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/integration.js :: execCommand :: line 151" data: no]" {file: "chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/integration.js" line: 151}]

[JavaScript Error: "[Exception... "Component returned failure code: 0x80570016 (NS_ERROR_XPC_GS_RETURNED_FAILURE) [nsIJSCID.getService]" nsresult: "0x80570016 (NS_ERROR_XPC_GS_RETURNED_FAILURE)" location: "JS frame :: chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/integration.js :: execCommand :: line 151" data: no]" {file: "chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/integration.js" line: 151}]
  • We've never seen this error before, and I'm not quite sure what to attribute it to. Does the Java tester show a pink rectangle? Do you have permissions to create a new file in /tmp?
  • Java is working - the tester shows a pink rectangle with my java version (Java Version 1.6.0_16 from Sun Microsystems Inc.). I think I can createfiles in /tmp (I tried now as a root and it works).
  • you want to test creating a file in /tmp as a regular user.
    Of course you can as root.
  • I can create files as a regular user also
  • I still hope to recieve some help from you guys about this issue. I'm kind of stuck with my work...
  • edited August 9, 2010
    We are not really sure what could be causing this issue (and we are unaware of anyone else experiencing it), but there are a few things you can do that might help track it down.

First, you could ensure the permissions on your Firefox profile directory are correct. This is unlikely to be the source of the problem, since you report that removing and reinstalling the Firefox extension didn't help, but it's worth a try. In a terminal, enter the following two commands

sudo chown -R $USER ~/.mozilla/firefox
    sudo chmod -R u+r ~/.mozilla/firefox

Enter your password when prompted.

If that doesn't work, you can try disabling AppArmor. Try running

sudo /etc/init.d/apparmor stop
    again entering your password when prompted, and then see if that fixes things.

If neither of these solves your problem, we might be able to get a better idea of what's going wrong if you set dom.report_all_js_exceptions to true in about:config (create the entry if it doesn't exist) and then generate another error report.
  • edited August 11, 2010
    It works at last!!! After disabling AppArmor everything went normal again! Thanks a-lot-a-lot! After we have found the reason for the problem, I would ask if there is a way of setting AppArmor to be in the same time enabled and let Zotero function normaly?
  • Once again: is there a way of setting AppArmor to be in the same time enabled and let Zotero function normaly? This way I switch it off an on every day before and after using Zotero.
This discussion has been closed.