bibtex export and pages

Zotero records all journal articles I've come across as startpage-endpage, e.g., 73-93. But an export of this item to Bibtex would give

pages = {73-93}

which compiles to something funky like "73093". What I need is for Zotero to export 73-93 so that I get

pages = {73--93}

in Bibtex which compiles to the desired "73-93".

Why is this going on? Am I missing something here? Is there some simple preference I can tweak so that pages exports to Bibtex correctly?
  • Are you sure they are using the hyphen '-' and not some other UTF-8 entity (such as the endash, '–')? Zotero translates '-' to '--' on BibTeX export. However, it does not translate other punctuation to '--' if you are exporting as UTF-8.
  • So they hyphen must be recorded for entries like this:

http://www.mitpressjournals.org/doi/abs/10.1162/rest.89.4.701

because it exports to Bibtex in the desired "--" form.

However, entries imported from Google Scholar apparently are NOT getting the hypen. All my entries imported to Zotero from Google Scholar are being exported to Bibtex in the "-" form
  • At what level of processing (import, storage, fetch, export/CSL processing) should cruft like this be sanitized?
  • import, ideally, no?
  • Sounds right to me. Could maybe be slotted in somewhere between lines 1281 and 1738 of translate.js.
  • However, entries imported from Google Scholar apparently are NOT getting the hypen. All my entries imported to Zotero from Google Scholar are being exported to Bibtex in the "-" form
    Or, more accurately, in the '–' form (an en dash, not hyphen, as I posted earlier). Change your export character set to ISO-8859-1 & this will get transliterated to the LaTeX entity {\textendash}.
  • @noksagt: but these characters should ideally be normalized in the data for this field, yes?
  • @noksagt: but these characters should ideally be normalized in the data for this field, yes?
    Sure. I was attempting to help briandj with his immediate issue (and he may have many other problems exporting to UTF-8 BibTeX when his toolchain does not support it). My posting of this fix was not meant to cast any judgment on suggested improvements to Zotero.
  • Yup, this works. Thank you very much noksagt!