call for ideas and discussion to replace folder icon for collections

There's been a number of comments in this forum from relatively new users befuddled by the folder icon used for collections in the zotero browser plugin (I certainly was!). The issue stems from the assumption that a folder will behave like operating system folders, where zotero collections behave more like itunes playlists. eg: when you delete something from a folder, it may no longer exist anywhere on the system (if there's no copies), whereas deleting form a collection does not delete things: they are still in the 'Library'.

Many have also pointed out the benefits of the zotero way, and it seems to be the consensus that the functionality is fine the way it stands, and I agree.

To make zotero easier to use and understand for new users, changing the icon to something more suggestive of the actual functionality seems to me like a good idea.

Unfortuantely, I don't have what I would call a good alternative. Things that come to mind:

something like the itunes playlist icon?
    something like a collection of books? magazines?
I'm interested to see what ideas people come up with..
Ian
  • Something like this might work:

http://www.telecontinuity.com/images/paper_icon.gif

Unfortunately that was just culled from a random website by google image search so it is unlikely to be appropriately licensed, but I'm sure something similar could be found.
  • FWIW, the current icons are from the following collection:

http://www.famfamfam.com/lab/icons/silk/previews/index_abc.png
  • seems to me difficult to come up with a single governing metaphor.

For someone like me, who works primarily with old-fashioned books and journal articles, a "bookshelf" might work. (or more accurately, a random stack of books and papers gathering dust in the corner...)

For someone who cites a lot of web sources, or media like film, the bookshelf might not make sense.
  • edited April 29, 2010
    alexuw: "seems to me difficult to come up with a single governing metaphor. "

To an extent yes, though I think a bookshelf or stack of papers is strong enough that even those who've never seen one (and are using zotero ;) will recognise it. Am I right in thinking that people who deal a lot with other media may be used to 'page' icons representing their resources?

Perhaps the stack of papers is more generic than the bookcase, as well as easier to make recognisable in a small icon. Its suggestive of a list, without the added meaning of an operating system folder (so it's easier to realise that it works differently).

Bionatsci: lovely icon (: though it may be hard to make it look good in a smaller size..

Rintze: thanks for the collection link.

Following the 'stack of papers' metaphor, "page_white_stack" in Rintze's collection seems a good choice, especially as the 'page' is a quite generic 'document' shape that operating systems use when they show a file they don't understand.
  • is it possible for a single user to customize the folder icons for Zotero collections?