Missing fields for "Journal Article"

Hi,

For the scientific community the [YEAR] (eg "2001") of publication is more important for bibliographies that the [DATE] (eg "21 Sept, 2001). Please would you be able to add the field [YEAR] to the list for Journal Articles.

Also all references sourced from PubMed (which how 90% of all biology/chemistry scientist will do) can be found very easily with the PMID - i see that this is now stored in the [EXTRA] field, but it really deserves a field of its own...

thanks
andy
  • There's no reason to have a separate field in Zotero for the year—the Date field is already automatically parsed into month, day, and year. (You can hover over the field or add the Year column to the middle pane to see this in action.) A bibliography style would just need to specify that it should use the year rather than the full date.

Zotero is used by people in many fields, so I don't think we would add a PMID as a top-level field, but there should be some mechanism to add it in Zotero 1.5, either through a new (location-esque?) field in the upcoming bibliography ontology that will likely be integrated into Zotero or as a type of unique identifier in the upcoming URI support.
  • Thanks Dan, i didnt realise the Date field was parsed that way...

I understand that Zotero can be used to build up librarys from many sources - i'm sure most of the databases that zotero can read from will have some kind of unique identifier for each article? perhaps a more general 'unique ID' could be useful??

(e.g. endnote has a field called 'ascension number' which it saved the PMID in)

Thanks Andy
  • Actually, material useful to non-medical students (e.g. psychiatry, toxicology,parasitology, zoology) can also be found on Pubmed. Due to the sheer amount of material (and the fact the PMID is practically equivalent to a DOI), a pmid field would definitely be useful.