can't edit a note Zotero gets stuck in a loop

Hi Dan, I'm currently using Zotero 2.0b7.5 (but will happily switch back to the dev version if that will fix this bug)

If I navigate to a saved search folder, then type in a quick search term (e.g. an author), then try to edit a note attached to that record, Zotero gets stuck in a loop and I have to force-quit Firefox.

Here's the loop:

zotero(5): SELECT IA.itemID FROM itemAttachments IA NATURAL JOIN items I LEFT JOIN itemData ID ON (IA.itemID=ID.itemID AND fieldID=1) LEFT JOIN itemDataValues IDV ON (ID.valueID=IDV.valueID) WHERE sourceItemID=? AND linkMode NOT IN (?) AND IA.itemID NOT IN (SELECT itemID FROM deletedItems) ORDER BY value=? DESC, mimeType='application/pdf' DESC, dateAdded ASC

zotero(5): Binding parameter 1 of type int: 5933

zotero(5): Binding parameter 2 of type int: 3

zotero(5): Binding parameter 3 of type string: ""

zotero(5): SELECT creatorTypeID AS id, creatorType AS name FROM itemTypeCreatorTypes NATURAL JOIN creatorTypes WHERE itemTypeID=? ORDER BY primaryField=1 DESC, name

zotero(5): Binding parameter 1 of type int: 2

zotero(3): Switching lastCreatorFieldMode to 0

zotero(3): Viewing item in pane 0

zotero(3): Refreshing item box

zotero(5): SELECT IA.itemID FROM itemAttachments IA NATURAL JOIN items I LEFT JOIN itemData ID ON (IA.itemID=ID.itemID AND fieldID=1) LEFT JOIN itemDataValues IDV ON (ID.valueID=IDV.valueID) WHERE sourceItemID=? AND linkMode NOT IN (?) AND IA.itemID NOT IN (SELECT itemID FROM deletedItems) ORDER BY value=? DESC, mimeType='application/pdf' DESC, dateAdded ASC

zotero(5): Binding parameter 1 of type int: 5933

zotero(5): Binding parameter 2 of type int: 3

zotero(5): Binding parameter 3 of type string: ""

and so on.

Regards, Jon.

EDIT - OK, so don't have to include the quick search. Just trying to edit a note from within a saved search seems to be enough. Drat. Will try to generate a debug report.
  • Debug id D1634338290
  • I just upgraded to b7.5, and I now I don't seem to be able to add notes. It just puts up something that looks like the tag field, that is uneditable, that says "Untitled Note".
  • I shut down Firefox and restarted it, and now I can add a note. But I'm getting the spinning sync wheel of death. What is it doing?
  • Ah - the arrow stopped spinning. Seems to be working.
  • Jon, can you still reproduce this? I can't. I'm also not seeing it in your debug output.
  • edited November 26, 2009
    Yes, unfortunately I can.
    I'll send a copy of the debug from the console to support.
    The subject is this discussion i.e.
    http://forums.zotero.org/discussion/9973?

Hope that helps.

OK, sent it through twice - first time only had 512 lines of code which wasn't terribly helpful. Hopefully the second one will be.
  • Does this happen in every saved search? What are the search conditions? Does it happen in a saved search that matches only notes?
  • Search conditions:
    creator contains "Spinoza"
    tag contains "Spinoza"
    title contains "Spinoza"

OK, not sure if this is going to help or not, as I'm currently in my Windows 7 partition and the Zotero is still the dev. version. But I didn't have a problem with a different saved search. Never tried a saved search for only notes. Will update you as soon as I'm back in Ubuntu.
  • edited November 29, 2009
    HI Dan, it does seem to be something that is specific to this particular saved search, checking for tag, creator and title. Checked it with the latest dev version 5452.
    I can edit no problem, if say I just have a title search.
    If I use a search for any note containing a space, it hangs too.
    Ubuntu 9.10, Firefox 3.5.5 Zotero r4542.

Regards, Jon.