About ISO-690 style

Hi,

To start, I thank a lot the developpers for the new styles which are now purposed.

I have a request about the ISO-690. I know that this style is unfinished, but I noticed that the location of editor is automatically put into brackets.
Here, in Europe (but I suppose that the rules of that international standard are similar anywhere), the brackets means that the information comes from a source external to the document manipulated.
So, would it be possible to cancel this brackets?

In advance, I thank you.

Reka

PS : sorry for my bad English, but I speak French...
  • Thanks for the report - I started this style and was going to collaborate with someone whom I've forgotten the name of. Anyway I haven't updated it in a while.

If you could get me some samples of how it should look for various types of items (books, journals etc) I could maybe finish it off.
  • OK, I will give you some samples :)
    In this respect, I will develop a synthesis next week.

I thank you for your trust about collaborating with me.
  • I was busy and have got any time to realize my promise, sorry...

So, here are the samples to perform the ISO 690 style :

About the books
    NAME of the author, firstname (allways in bold). Title (allways in italic). Ed. Publisher, publication year. ISBN
    e.g. AITCHISON, J., GILCHRIST, A. Thesaurus construction : a practical manual. 2nd ed. ASLIB, 1990. ISBN 0-85142-197-0

About the chapter of a book :
    NAME of the author of the document which contents the article, firstname. Ed. Pulisher, publication year. Title of the Chapter. Pages (location in the document). ISBN

About a contribution (an independant article of chapter in a book)
    NAME of the author of the contribution, firstname. Title.
    In : NAME of the author of the global document which contents all the contributions, firstname. Title of the book. Ed. Publisher, publication year. Pages (location). ISBN.

About articles in periodicals :
    NAME of the author of the article, firstname. Title of the article. In : Title of the "magazine". Edition mention. Date, volume, number of the issue, pages (location). ISSN.

About Thesis :
    NAME of the author. Title of the thesis. Year of the presentation (when was the thesis defended). Type of the work, discipline, school / university, year

About the websites :
    NAME of the author, firstname (bold). Title (italic) [online]. Ed. Updating date. Consultation date. URL. ISSN

About audiovisual documents :
    NAME of the author (director), firstname. Title [animated pictures] (/!\ i'm not sure that the mention contains the expression "animated pictures", I translated : in french, we write "images animées"). Ed. Name of the publisher, pblication year. Type of the document and quantity (e.g. : 1 DVD).

I hope that it's clear.
    Sincerely,

Reka
  • Hello,

I'm a zotero's new user. It's a great pleasure to discover Zotero and its styles.Thank you to the developpers.
    The style ISO-690 seems not to be finished yet. Do you know when it will be finished with the very good samples of Reka. Indeed, I need this style too.
    Sorry for my very bad english : I'm french too !
  • Hi Marianne,

Thanks a lot for the account you bring to my query.

After more than a year, I still received no feedback about the improvement of this style, but I'd be very happy if we had good news announced soon... ;)
  • is there a styleguide online somewhere?
    not all of this will be possible. E.g. it is not currently possible to have only the last name in uppercase.
  • there is a very short discussion of this at:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_690
    from the examples there it does not appear that the last name needs
    to be uppercase.

that page references:
    http://www.sagehill.net/docbookxsl/CustomBiblio.html
  • Hi,

I am one (sorry sorry) of the persons who promised to collaborate on the ISO style. For personal reasons I had to drop out from the internet for more than a year (I wasn't in jail, I was living in the country/place with very complicated internet access).

ISO is a pain, even the implementation of ISO in the Word 2007 is lousy to the point that professors at my school discourage students from using it. EndNote did not come anymore further from what I know. But RefWorks is actually doing much better (ISO appeared there sometimes after I unceremoniously accused ProQuest top manager demonstrating their products for our institution for ignoring international standards ;-) Irony is, I used to be a strong ISO 690 advocate but the more I know about the issue, the less I care. I was stunned and left speechless a year after the demo at the conference by another ProQuest representative who approached the very same me and said - "We did like you've asked. Thanks for your feedback."

Wikipedia article on ISO is questionable at least. Yes, unfortunately ISO calls for LAST NAME being capitalized in contrary to the First name. Its local implementations in the various countries that I am aware of, do.

A temporary workaround might be citing bibliography in an abbreviated form (LUTHER KING M.) When the Zotero ISO style will be mature enough I think we can raise the question about supporting this to the dev team. Above mentioned RefWorks do support this very well. What is the issue here - is it the database or the style sheet language?

I am lousy coder and my attempts on the ISO stylesheet failed (seeing it as being too far off the actual standard and too incomplete I tried to hack neat APA style).

So, if there are people willing to work on the style over next couple of weeks/months I can devote my full time to it.

Maybe I can start by comparing what current ISO does for particular items compared to what it should like, but I need somebody to help me to code it.

There is also one not-so-comfy-to-operate but more-less-acceptable-on-output online ISO 690/690-2 citation generator, however, its interface is only in Czech and it performs significantly better on traditional than on the electronic sources (www.citace.com).

So, if there is a group of people who are willing to help, lets get to work.
  • edited November 14, 2009
    http://paedpsych.jk.uni-linz.ac.at/internet/ARBEITSBLAETTERORD/LITERATURORD/ZitationISO690.html

has some more.
    The issue with capitalizing last names is probably more CSL than Zotero - it treats authors' names as one single argument, so only one formatting command (such as font-style="italic" or text-case="uppercase") can be applied. i don't think this will be addressed in the forthcoming csl version, but I may be wrong.

I'll help you code - the biggest task is assembling a good sample of citations as well as differences to an existing style. I find a citation style without any usable online documentation pretty ridiculous, though, especially if it claims to be a standard, but oh well...

Edit: As for team work: The best way to do this is if only one person does most of the coding - which isn't most of the work anyway - so as I said - if you work on getting the information and putting it in a usable form (i.e. differences to existing style), I can do the coding.
  • The issue with capitalizing last names is probably more CSL than Zotero - it treats authors' names as one single argument, so only one formatting command (such as font-style="italic" or text-case="uppercase") can be applied. i don't think this will be addressed in the forthcoming csl version, but I may be wrong.
    CSL 1.0 will support separate markup for given and family names (via name-part elements).
  • Any time frame on this? Current version is at 0.7, with last activity a month ago. Based on my current performance, we will need it in about 3-5 years - just kidding. This time I hope to get it done fairly quickly.
  • current version of csl is at 0.8, isn't it?
    1.0 will be the next version of CSL and there is talk of it being ready for release at the end of this/early next year. Then it will still have to be integrated in Zotero - Dan has mentioned 2.1 as the goal for csl 1.0 integration.
    But from what I understand changing code between the two will be rather easy, so it's worthwhile to prepare the style now and just change whatever can't be done with the current csl once it's possible.
  • Well, that's pretty foreseeable future I hope ;-)
  • Hi,
    I am pretty frustrated with the situation, so I decided to step in and try. I created Facebook group I would pay for open implementation of ISO 690 in CSL for all people, who need this thing urgently. So if you use FB, then please join in.
  • well the offer still stands, you don't even have to pay me: I need a thorough, itemized list of all the differences of ISO 690 to an existing style. Unfortunately, no style guide to ISO 690 appears to be online (certainly not in English - I'd be happy to follow a Spanish, French, or German version, too, but can't do slavic languages unfortunately) so this would really have to be something a user puts together (it is for every style, but applies even more so in this case). So if you are really that frustrated, get your hands on an ISO 690 manual and spent a couple of hours outlining the style here.
  • Offer still stands, I have the samples which are under review by my professor. I don't want to post something that will need corrections afterwards. ISO is tricky. Sorry for delays, I am promised to receive corrections by Friday morning and as soon as I get them, I will post them here.
  • adamsmith, thanks for your offer. I would like to do, what you need, but first I need to ask couple of questions:

1. by existing style you mean this, right?
    2. I think examples previously provided by "Reka" are pretty good. What else do you need?
    3. Can this be done already? I am just asking because of discussion about CSL above.
  • the only limit I see right now are capitalized last names - those won't be possible for a while. Styles are often quite complicated and having a bunch of examples only helps somewhat. I'll see if athelas comes up with something soon, else I'll have a look.

Existing style can either be the unfinished iso690 you link to or any other style that may be more complete and somewhat resemble iso690.
  • edited December 20, 2009

General notes first

My idea is at the moment to give each item type separate posts. It might get messy especially when comments star flowing in but this is the best solution I was able to come up with.
    I might and probably will update this first general section during the process. In examples below accented characters are used on purpose - capitalizing functions often fail at converting such characters into caps or even at truncating strings with such chars, so this should be tested and, if necessary, addressed. Same may apply to cyrillic letters (I have little experience with those).

Authors

Record Reference
    MUDr. Šťěpán Česnek, PhD. DrSc. ČESNEK, Šťěpán

or

ČESNEK, Š.

Petra Veselková,
    Andrea Malíková,
    Andrej Porubjak
    VESELKOVÁ, Petra – MALÍKOVÁ, Andrea –
    PORUBJAK, Andrej

or

VESELKOVÁ, P., MALÍKOVÁ, A., PORUBJAK, A.
    Daniel Veselý, Eduard Kupecký, Peter Vlachovič, Ondrej Lenárth, Vlastimil Bagár, Peter Hlavatý VESELÝ, Daniel et al. {usually only one}

or

VESELÝ, D., KUPECKÝ, E., VLACHOVIČ, P. et al. {usually up to 3}

According to the prevailing praxis and currect CSL implementation situation my preference would be second option for citing, e.g. "ČESNEK, Š.", "VESELKOVÁ, P., MALÍKOVÁ, A., PORUBJAK, A.", "VESELÝ, D., KUPECKÝ, E., VLACHOVIČ, P. et al."

Afaik there are no BOLDS in the ISO style. The only emphasis is being italics. Same applies to ; (semicolon) between multiple authors - local ISO implementations are very inconsistent here, in example above only simple comma is used. Another issue is colon, particularly space before colon when dividing place of origin and the publisher. This typographical nonsense is required by the ISO, however frequently used space before colon when in between main title and subtitle is not. Examples: "London : Faber & Faber" but "Hydrodynamics: problems and solution".

I have to correct myself in here in what was said about colon between title and subtitle, please, jump to the message #24 for clarification.

This is a mine field and possible source of rather heated debate to which I am open, however my suggestion is to let us focus to get something done first.

Publishers

Record Reference

K.G.Saur Verlag

München London NewYork

München : K.G.Saur Verlag, 1989

or

München; London; New York : K.G.Saur
    Verlag, 1989

Note: Multiple places can be omitted in the reference. If displayed, the divider is semicolon - in contrast with authors! Same rule applies for the case there are multiple publishers, but since Zotero does not support neither, this must be taken care of by the user by filling the appropriate field correctly.

Chicago

Chicago : [s.n.], 2000

Note: in case the field for publisher is empty
    International Press

[s.l.] : International Press, 2000

Note: in case the field for the place is empty

Individual item types follow, I will let you know when I will be done in the last post and by editing this statement. Items described below are in my Zotero library - my Zotero sync. is not working, but I hope to resolve that soon so I can share my test bibliography with you (or I will export RDF and post it somewhere).

• cool - OK, so I understand correctly that just initials are fully acceptable? That is doable. as noted above, having first names in lowercase and last names in caps isn't.
    The rest is easily doable, just want to make sure I understand correctly that there is a space both after <i>and </i> before the colon between place and publisher.
  • Yes, just initials are according to the standard and yes, there is space before and after between place and publisher, but only after in other circumstances. Zotero does not have separate fields for title and subtitle so this other occasion is in the hands of the user.

(Typography is my hobby and when I learned about this I was jumping out of my skin, but, that's what they made a standard.)

I am going to post item types today, hope to get done the main ones. I cannot login to the sync. feature, but I will start a separate thread for that issue.
  • edited December 20, 2009
    capitalizing functions often fail at converting such characters into caps or even at truncating strings with such chars, so this should be tested and, if necessary, addressed.
    Processing of accented characters tested in the new (not yet deployed) CSL processor, in rhino, spidermonkey and tracemonkey environments. Thanks for the test data -- no problems with truncation or capitalization (the processor uses UCS-2 unicode strings internally, not utf8, so they're not fragile in that way), but this did help to catch some glitches in the detection of non-mutable names that would otherwise have bitten down the road.
  • This typographical nonsense is required by the ISO, however frequently used space before colon when in between main title and subtitle is not. Examples: "London : Faber & Faber" but "Hydrodynamics: problems and solution"
    Well, firstly, from the Zotero point of view this is unimportant because Zotero does not have field for "subtitle", only "title" is used. But I am including this information anyway.
    I spent a day researching this space-before-colon issue in ISO 690/690-2. It is hilarious how inconsistent about this are even the pages containing official excerpts from the ISO standards. How the space before semicolon got there is a mystery but after some browsing I would blame French typography rules. The standard is pretty consistent about the space before colon when it comes to place : publisher but real life adaptations in case of title : subtitle are not so. Some national implementations that I can get a hold of are calling for:

Title : Subtitle.

I have yet to confirm this with the international version of ISO but in either case, this would not be doable in Zotero - it is now not only the issue with colon but issue with title being italics and subtitle not.

So I leave it for consideration whether or not to include subtitle field in the future Zotero editions.

Some examples I am going to post here tonight will be calling for such a feature but keep in mind - ISO is not a LAW, it is a recommendation, whether in its international or local forms. There is not anything like perfect citation generator (especially when it comes to ISO 690/690-2), so let us just try to be "good enough".
  • edited January 19, 2010
    Guys,

I tried to remake the ISO 690(-2)... see this:
    http://www.fit.vutbr.cz/research/view_product.php.en?id=123

Post comments, please.

Petr
  • That site is pass protected...
  • Hi... better now?
  • I am finishing the Zotero translation these days, but I will look at it shortly and post review here. Thx a lot!
  • I just quickly tried the version 1.02. It seems for journal articles ISSN is never showing.
    Below is copy of what I got in OpenOffice.org (minus the formatting), (1,4) are journal articles, (2)-web page, (3)-book. (1) does not have DOI in the Zotero library. Both (1,4) do have ISSN in the Zotero library.

1. BRUNCLIK, T. Aggregating and Fine Tuning Remote Map Services with Local Cascading WMS Server. WSEAS Transactions on Computers Research. 2007-02, vol. 2, no. 2, p. 321-326.
    2. BŘEHOVSKÝ, M.; JEDLIČKA, K. Úvod do geografických informačních systémů
    (KMA/UGI). URL <http://www.gis.zcu.cz/?page=ugi>.
    3. FRANK, A. Panel-GI compendium : a guide to GI and GIS. Genova : GISIG Geographical Information Systems International Group, 2000. ISBN: 9783901716225.
    4. VINCENT, R. K. ET AL. Phycocyanin detection from LANDSAT TM data for mapping cyanobacterial blooms in Lake Erie. Remote Sensing of Environment. 2004-02-15, vol. 89, no. 3, p. 381-392. DOI: 10.1016/j.rse.2003.10.014.
  • Also, the web page item (2) does not show when it was last updated or accessed, while at least the later is available in the Zotero library. Not sure if the Modified field in the Zotero library means last update of the web page or of the Zotero record, or if all these Zotero record fields are available for use and how...
  • The Modified field shows the time of the last change to the Zotero entry. It is not relevant to the cite, and not accessible via CSL.