Zotero not working in Google Docs

edited February 16, 2024
[Admin note: A fix is now available.]

No matter which menu option I click, I always get the equivalent of Add Link / Ctrl-K (see picture). I've tried restarting, uninstalling, and reinstalling, even tried opening a fresh Firefox profile, but it's the same response each time.

Any ideas how I can fix this?

https://s3.amazonaws.com/zotero.org/images/forums/u995379/ybkxhqyvdr9cvg9l6jt9.png
  • same thing has happened to me as well.
  • I have the same issue. It looks like this has happened a few years ago already: https://forums.zotero.org/discussion/87938/google-docs-zotero-wont-cite-just-pulls-up-link-function

Unfortunately, it seems like the Zotero Connector needs an update..
  • edited February 15, 2024
    We're looking into this. We're not seeing it ourselves, so it doesn't seem to be a universal problem, but Google may be testing some change, or it may be due to some setting in Google Docs.

In the meantime, if this is happening to you, you may be able to move your document to Word or LibreOffice. Edit: Doesn't work.

We'll post any updates in this thread. No need to post further unless you have new information.
  • edited February 14, 2024
    Thank you for the response, I just checked and saw that the connection has been lost in all of my Google docs, it still remains in the Word documents. My computer had an automatic update, but it should not affect the browser/plug-ins.

At least in my case, I can't move the document to any other software. All options in Zotero, including the switch, open the same drop-down menu to add hyperlinks from the document/drive as posted by spaceLem

I have also tried the plug-in in multiple browsers, but the result is the same
  • edited February 16, 2024
    Edit: No longer needed — thanks.

Since we might not be able to reproduce this ourselves, if you're seeing this, the following would be helpful:

1) Right-click on the popup and choose Inspect. Your browser developer console should open with a div selected. If you get a Google Docs context menu instead, you may need to find another spot on the page that shows you the browser context menu.

2) Click on the highest div in the hierarchy that causes just that popup to be highlighted on the page.

3) Right-click on that div and choose "Edit as HTML".

4) Copy and paste the HTML and email it to us at support@zotero.org with a link to this thread.

This should let us see the markup being used in the version of the link popup you're seeing, which might let us update the code to interact with it even if we're not seeing that version.
  • edited February 14, 2024
    OK, thanks to those who sent us the HTML — no need for more at this time.
  • I am having the same issue! I can't transfer any linked citations on my 40 page document that is due in the morning!
  • I asked a colleague to get the references, and they had no problem doing so.

On the short term, you may be able to share the document with someone else and ask them to do the switch to Word (https://www.zotero.org/support/kb/moving_documents_between_word_processors). But it is rather a quick fix than a permanent solution
    OK, we still haven't been able to reproduce this ourselves, but we have a potential fix in the latest Zotero Connector beta for Firefox. If you're seeing this, please install that and let us know if it fixes the problem for you. Edit: Doesn't work
  • Thanks for looking at that. I've installed ZC beta, restarted etc., but it doesn't seem to have fixed the problem. It does now connect to Zotero, and lets me choose a reference, but the reference doesn't appear in the document, and the search menu still appears.
    Thank you for investigating this @dstillman. The fix on Firefox is also not working for me.
    Also, moving documents to Word or LibreOffice does not work. Activating any item of the Zotero menu in Google Doc (e.g. 'Switch word processors ...') results in the same error (opening Google Doc's link menu, cmd+K).
  • Same problem for me.
    I tried to use beta version, which is opening zotero prompt and simultaneity the pop-up image, but finally doesn't work.
    [Update: Fix available now.]

Unfortunately none of us on the team are seeing this so far, which makes it hard to fix.

For now, if this is happening to you, you have two main options:

1) Add temporary citation placeholders to your document for now, using some format that you can easily search for once this is fixed.

2) Share the document with another Google account — yours or someone else's — and try to use the plugin with that account. This appears to be a change that Google is testing with a small number of users so far, so there's a good chance another account won't be affected.

Note that another Google account you try doesn't need to have any relationship to Zotero — it just needs access to the document. Zotero accounts aren't used for Google Docs integration at all.

Sorry for the trouble here. With Google Docs integration, we can really only build against the version of Google Docs that we have, so routine changes or A/B tests on Google's end can break things unexpectedly until we're able to access the new version.
  • @dstillman thank you, I understand this is an issue with Google, and it makes sense (I had no problem at my Mac at work on Tuesday, I worked from home on Wednesday and found the problem on my Linux machine, reported it, went back to work this morning and found the problem had started there too).

It's not an urgent problem for me, but hopefully if Google do roll out the changes to everyone you'll have advance warning!
  • Signed into about 5 different gmail accounts and then finally one of them worked!!
    (tied on Edge and Firefox, same issue as before)
    OK, please try the latest Zotero Connector beta and let us know if that fixes it. [Update: Fix available now.]
  • @dstillman it works now with 5.0.115beta6 on Firefox.
  • Just find a way to overcome the problem - I am using private tab in Safari - and it works.
  • @valenzine: Great, thanks.

OK, Zotero Connector 5.0.115 for Firefox is available now from the download page.

We've submitted this version for Chrome and Edge. I'll post here when it's available (usually within a day).

We'll also release a new Zotero for Mac version with a fix for Safari soon.

And yes, as @alstrukova points out, if you're not able to use Firefox, another option for getting the old version of Google Docs might be to make your document editable to anyone with a link, open Google Docs in a private window, and edit the document as an anonymous user, authenticating just to grant the plugin access to the document. If you do that, don't forget to make your document private again later.
  • Mozilla works fine now on MacBook after the update - thank you Zotero for a quick fix!
    @dstillman That's great, I can add and edit citations again, thank you!

There is still a small issue that the link menu keeps appearing after interacting with Zotero, but it's cosmetic rather than critical. Hopefully it goes away when Google finalise their changes.
  • Hi!
    Unfortunately, I'm having the same issue.
    Initially, this happened when using Edge (chromium version) on Mac (M series). Changing the browser to firefox, and switching to a windows device did not fix.
    @morezash: Make sure you're running Zotero Connector 5.0.115 in Firefox, and make sure you've reloaded Google Docs.

We've also gotten a couple reports that, with this fix, the Google Docs link dialog can still show up and need to be closed manually after the citation is inserted, so you should confirm that's not what you're seeing. We'll try to fix that soon.
  • Zotero Connector 5.0.115 for Edge is now available with the fix.

The Chrome extension is still awaiting approval.
  • Unfortunately I keep having the same issue in Firefox with Zotero Connector 5.0.115.
    The "add citations" button opens the Zotero prompt but no reference is inserted and the Google hyperlink menu shows up again
    @mattmazz: You should restart Zotero and reload Google Docs and try again. With 5.0.115, the link dialog may continue to show up, but a selected citation should still be inserted into the document.

If that's not happening for you after reloading everything, can you make a screen recording and send it to support@zotero.org with a link to this thread?
  • @dstillman thank you, I tried refreshing all morning but did nothing, then I erroneously tried adding a citation while Zotero wasn't running, and now it works most of the times (it rarely does not, but refreshing solves the issue). It is ok for now, thank you
  • Hello @dstillman, on my Chrome it works again, but in addition to the box remaining open, the formatting of the reference is not the same as before, now it remains as a link, with underlining and in blue.
  • @dioubernardo: Don't click Apply in the link dialog. Just close it.
This discussion has been closed.