Word for Mac crashes after each Zotero citation is entered

Hi, I have the problem that Word for Mac crashes every time I try to insert a citation using the Zotero Word plugin. The problem occurs on new and existing documents when there is a table of contents in the document.

My versions:
MacOS: Ventura 13.4
Word: 16.75 (23070901)
Zotero: 6.0.26

Report-ID: 1269569816
Debug-ID: D1655591015

Steps to reproduce:
1. start Zotero and Word
2. create new document in Word
3. add some Headlines in the document
4. insert a table of contents in the document
5. switch in Word to the Zotero addin and click on "Add/Edit Citation"
6. set the citation style to "Chicago Manual of Style 17th edition (note)" and show references as footnotes
7. insert random citation

I have noticed 2 requirements that need to be met for this problem to occur:
- Document needs a table of contents
- Citation style needs to be set to a footnote citation style (like Chicago Manual of Style 17th edition (note))

When i switch for example to the citation style "American Psychological Asociation (APA 7th edition", the fetature is working fine without crashing Word.
Currently i can cite with this citation style and change it at the end to Chicago Style, but this has the drawback, that the text paragraphs change sometimes after this change.

What i tried already:
- restarted both programms
- reinstalled Word + Zotero Word addin
- removed all Word addins except Zotero
- tried all these steps: https://www.zotero.org/support/kb/debugging_broken_documents
- tried it with the beta version 7.0
  • I was able to reproduce this once with a table of contents in the Word 16.76 beta, but after reverting to 16.74, I can no longer reproduce it with 16.74, 16.75, or 16.76. If you delete Microsoft Word from Applications and run the Word update package for 16.75 from Microsoft's Office update history page, can you still reproduce the problem?
  • edited July 22, 2023
    I was using the version from the App Store.
    After uninstalling this version and installing 16.75 from the Microsoft site, I can still reproduce the problem.
    When using version 16.76, Word crashes at step 5.
    I cannot reproduce the problem when using version 16.74.
    After updating that version back to 16.75, the problem returns.

If this is relevant, I use an Intel Macbook from 2019.
  • Any news on this issue? I have the same problem with Word for Mac 16.79.1 and Zotero 6.0.30. I use citation style "Chicago Manual of Style 17th edition (note)" and footnotes but I don't have a table of contents in my document thought I do have index tables for indexwords and quotes.
  • Removing index tables in the document help me to solve the issue. Thanks CyberstormXo for the troubleshooting regarding table of content. It helped me to find the workaround. Still a bit annoying bug though.