Zotero 7: Vertica scrollbar button out of window

When the button reaches bottom of Zotero window, reading progress is only about 3/4 of full text. The button turns invisible if keeps scrolling.
I prefer dragging scrollbar button instead of using wheel, so it's really disturbing to me. :(
  • Are you using any plugin?
    If you are using any plugin, does this still happen with all plugins disabled?
    What operating system and version of Zotero are you using?
    Could you make a screenshot demonstrating the issue? You can upload it to some sharing platform (e.g. Dropbox, OneDrive, Google Drive, ...) and provide the public link here.
  • I use some plugins, but the problem remains after disabled and restarted. Interestingly, later on I found this problem happens only on some of articles, and the hidden progress decreased to about one page.
    The Zotero version is 7.0.0-beta.46+c27bac2ad (64-bit), on Windows.
    I recorded video demonstrating this problem, before and after disabling plugins (both maximized window):
    https://1drv.ms/v/s!Av14OgeUAVcBk3gMTP5wHAg6NB4j?e=lHT4Jj
    https://1drv.ms/v/s!Av14OgeUAVcBk3n9OMVbyxmgkPxF?e=x0QN9a
  • I can reproduce this bug by adding many lines into the Extra field.
    [JavaScript Error: "this._id(...) is null" {file: "chrome://zotero/content/elements/relatedBox.js" line: 131}]
    The debug ID is D2062404519.
    Zotero 7.0.0-beta.46+c27bac2ad (64-bit)
    Windows 10

I am not sure if the Extra field is the appropriate place to put so much information. As I understand, the data in there should be for citation purposes, so it should correpond to standard citation fields.
    Could the plugin store the data in a separate file?
  • Not very sure if it's just a matter of Extra field, because some articles without this field has the same problem. Maybe there is a way to store Extra information in a separate file, but I have no idea about it currently.
    I contacted one plugin maintainer, but he is not clear about it neither. :)
  • Not very sure if it's just a matter of Extra field, because some articles without this field has the same problem.
    Can you share another video showing the problem where the Extra field is empty (and all plugins disabled)?
    Could it be due to a large number of lines in another tab on the right-hand side?
  • Yes, and it only could be Abstract, or maybe any part that is too long would cause this bug.
    https://1drv.ms/v/s!Av14OgeUAVcBk3rFqPMNOi57OZkj?e=faNSdq
  • It seems that a very long abstract in a single paragraph is not able to trigger the problem. But I can reproduce if the abstract has many New Line characters. So you should be able to fix this by removing the wrong New Line characters in the abstract. But it is probably the same bug as with the Extra field (same error as above).

There was the Abstract Cleaner plugin that could remove the extra New Line characters, but it is not compatible with Zotero 7.
    You can still use some online tools for this, like this one for example: https://removelinebreaks.net
  • I've been looking for a while to determine what could cause the overflowing window issue.

@mjthoraval Unfortunately, just adding new lines to the Abstract or Extra field doesn't help for me to reproduce the issue. Is there anything else that could help to reproduce this?
  • For me, just typing the following in the abstract triggers the problem, for any PDF file:
    I can reproduce on a completely new Zotero installation on a Windows 10 VM.
    The Debug ID is D1862200388.

I can also reproduce on Ubuntu 23.04 and Windows 11, so it seems to be very reliable to reproduce.
    You need to expand the abstract. Collasping the abstract stops the problem.
    You can also see the colors and tags selector at the bottom of the annotations pane on the left which disappears whenever you trigger the problem.

The part that disappears at the bottom grows with the number of lines in the abstract, starting around 26. But this may depend on the screen size, as for some cases 18 lines is sufficient.
  • Weird, but I can't reproduce this on macOS Zotero version. I'll need to try on Windows.
  • I can't reproduce this on macOS either.
  • edited November 21, 2023
    Sorry, I misunderstood.
  • @Ajingyayaya: In the example that you show here, is the PDF file displayed propoerly before adding the numbers or is it already broken?
    Could you try adding the numbers in the abstract for an item that displays properly before adding the lines and see if the bug appears from the new lines in the abstract?
    Sorry, I couldn't find an item that displays properly. All of my items, whether having long abstracts or not, have the problem of displaying incompletely at the bottom.
    Do you also see the problem for a newly imported item with all plugins disabled during the import, and all other tabs closed?
  • Wow, I disabled all my plugins, closed all the tabs, and imported a new item with a short abstract to my library, and the bottom displayed completely! After adding lines in the abstract, the bottom of the "info" interface couldn't be displayed fully again.
  • Then I opened an item with ‎a long abstract, and the problem occurred again.
  • I just found that maybe the problem is with the number of related items!
    https://1drv.ms/v/s!AjFf_YKEgfg5ixsnK-PnceIQ1cht?e=kq8HDy
  • It seems anything that goes beyond some maximum height in the right pane causes the window content to overflow. But I still can't reproduce that.

A few questions to those who can reproduce:
    1) Have you recently used stacked view mode?
    2) What is your screen resolution?
  • Mac 16 pro: 16.2-inch (diagonal) ; native resolution 3456 x 2234 (254 ppi)
    As for “stacked view mode”, do you mean opening ‎a lot of tabs at the same time?
  • @Ajingyayaya No, I mean View → Layout → Stacked View.
  • No, I always use the standard view.
  • Oh my god. I just used the stacked view mode, and I opened a pdf that has display problem before, then it displayed completely.
  • It solves my problem to some degree. Haha.
    1) Have you recently used stacked view mode?
    No
    2) What is your screen resolution?
    1920x1080
    I usually have 2 external monitors connected to my laptop (3 screens in total), but I still see the problem when no external monitor is connected to the laptop.
    I just used the stacked view mode, and I opened a pdf that has display problem before, then it displayed completely.
    The problem is solved for the PDF file in Stacked View mode. But it is just transferred to the Info tab that cannot scroll to the bottom anymore.

Edit: Actually, the problem is gone when switching back to Standard View! I will report later if I can reproduce the problem again, but it seems that this simple switch solved the problem...

The problem is gone for me.
    I had missed the fix that was mentionned in that post:
    https://forums.zotero.org/discussion/108482/bug-zotero-7-beta-ui-height-overflow-solved
  • Some more testing on my Ubuntu 23.10 workstation.
    [The workstation is using two monitors 1920x1200 (16:10) through a KVM (TESmart Dual Monitor KVM), if that is relevant.]

1) Initial state:
    For the same item in my library on the same system and monitors:
    - The PDF displays properly in Zotero 6.0.30
    - It is broken by the many lines in the Abstract or Extra fields on Zotero 7.0.0-beta.51+7c5600913 (64-bit)
    2) Switching to Stacked View and then back to Standard View. --> It does not change anything.
    3) Switch to Stacked View -> Resize the Info Pane -> Back to Standard View. ---> The problem is gone.

I also have a Windows 11 VM with a separate Zotero test account on that VM, containing only a few items, without any plugin, with Zotero 7.0.0-beta.51+7c5600913 (64-bit).
    I observed exactly the same as above. The first switch did not solve the problem. It was solved only after the second switch when I resized the Info Pane.

Let me know if I can do more testing.
    I may still have a few VMs where the problem still appears.
    I still haven't managed to trigger back the issue after it is solved with the trick above.
  • Ok we have finally figured out what is causing the issue, and it will be fixed in the next update. It affects all Zotero installations that never resized the right (bottom) pane in stacked view mode.

Thanks everyone for the help.