Announcing the Zotero 7 Beta

13»
  • Thank you for the new modification to the change case for titles. I was at first puzzled and then thrilled to find that "COVID-19" and "U.S." when converted from title case to sentence case retained their appropriate upper case status.

This is wonderful!
  • Is there somewhere list which plugins will work with 7 and which will not?
  • @Mela
    There are many thread discussions about the plugins and their development to be compatible with Zotero 7. One of the main discussions is available in this link:
    https://forums.zotero.org/discussion/105151/zotero-7-plugins
    Many thanks for Zotero developers for great features in in the Zotero 7 and for add-on developers for their great and highly useful additions
  • How to keep the beta version from automatically updating? Because I don’t want new bugs to appear due to unintentional updates during use, I know that developers will unintentionally introduce bugs during the development process.
  • Is there any timeline for non-beta release of Zotero 7 (and if there will be any breaking changes/upgrade process for regular users), I'm partly asking because some plugins are now (understandably) focusing on their 7+ versions, and limiting <7 support.
    Thanks!
  • @mengch -- while you can turn off auto-updates, if stability is what you're after, you just shouldn't run the beta. Sticking to a random beta version that you happen to be on makes no sense.

@sjgknight -- it's probably getting closer (the beta has been very stable) but I'm not aware of an ETA. The only breaking change for updates are plugins that no longer work, most notably Zutilo and ZotFile (but also some smaller ones).
  • Hi. I just recently read about Zotero 7, tried the beta on my Mac, it works really good. I have some questions: I’m really hyped about the epub feature, do you already have a rough time estimate when epubs will be viewable on iOS? Will it be possible to add annotation from there? Will it be with the release of 7 or much later? I signed up via Testflight. Excited for the future of Zotero.
  • The beta 7 version is great! Fixed some issues with flickering luminosity when highlighting text and I just love the overlayed snippets when hovering the mouse over a link in the pdf!
  • I don't see upgrades to any of the plugins for Zotero 7. I reckon that means an upgrade means zero plugins. Hmm. There are two good ones I have been using.
  • As posted above in the same page:
    "There are many thread discussions about the plugins and their development to be compatible with Zotero 7. One of the main discussions is available in this link:
    https://forums.zotero.org/discussion/105151/zotero-7-plugins
    Many thanks for Zotero developers for great features in in the Zotero 7 and for add-on developers for their great and highly useful additions "
    There is even a plug-in to show Zotero upgradable plugin.
    https://github.com/syt2/zotero-addons#readme
    Hope this helps
  • edited December 21, 2023
    sadly, on the beta version, several add-ons are disabled. how can they be reactivated?
    --> ODF scan, zotfile, zutilo, scite, better bibtex
  • better bibtex is not disabled on the beta. It's been 7-compatible since May.
  • @emilianoeheyns
    You're right; I just checked it out. thanks!
  • I use Zotero on two computers. I updated to 7 on one, but not on the other. The data seems to have synchronized correctly. Is this ok or will it cause problems in the database (synch by 2GB on Zotero plan)?
  • @MarekAdam using 6 and 7 synced is fine. Obviously some features -- like epub annotations and some types of PDF annotations -- won't show on 6, but that doesn't mean they get lost.
  • I am only recently getting more immersive in my Zotero usage, in terms of greater student and professional research, and even in genealogy research building. But when I started looking more decisively at getting started and adding plugins, I found out about Zotero 7. Thus, I decided to wait for the greatly anticipated and very robust 7 update before tweaking and adding plug-ins to avoid hiccups and complications in syncing all my software and adding my research. I am super anxious to get started and can't wait to see what exciting new things we will get! So of course I am just as curious as everyone else about when we will be getting news on the release.
    Is there any idea when we can expect its full release? :)