I have the following, and I cannot add citation:

Mac OS X 10.4.11
Word for Mac 2008
Firefox version 3.5.3
PhthonExt 2.6.1.20090330
Zotero 2.0b7.1
Zotero MacWord Integration 3.0a2

When I try to add citation, I get the following message:
"This version of the Zoero word processor plugin (2.0a3) is incompatible with the currently installed version of the Zotero Firefox extension (2.0b7.1). Please ensure you are using the latest versions of both components."

When I click "OK" to the error message above, I then get the following message with a lot of codes, which I cannot copy and paste here:
"An unexpected error occurred while performing this operation."

I don't know what to do. Please help ASAP!
  • you seem to still be on the old plugin.
    Give this a try:
    If the Zotero toolbar (or Zotero scripts for Word for Mac 2008 or later) does not appear, close Word or OpenOffice and then, in Firefox, go to Tools→Add-ons→Extensions. Click the “Preferences” button next to “Zotero MacWord Integration,” “Zotero WinWord Integration,” or “Zotero OpenOffice Integration” (depending on your operating system and word processor), and then click “Reinstall Word Components” or “Reinstall OpenOffice Components” as
    appropriate.
    http://www.zotero.org/support/word_processor_plugin_troubleshooting#issues_with_zotero_2.0_compatible_plugins
  • Hi, thank you for your quick response. I tried what you suggested, but I got an error message saying,

"Zotero MacWord Integration could not be installed because an error occurred. Neither Word 2004 nor Word 2008 appera to be installed on this computer. Please install Word, then try again."

When I clicked "OK" to the message above, "Zotero MacWord Integration Error" followed saying,

"The Zotero Mac Word Integration is complete, but a necessary component does not appear to be loaded properly. Zotero can attempt to correct this for you. A Firefox restart will be required. Continue?"

I clicked "OK," and Firefox restarted, but nothing changed. I have Word 2008 installed, and everything was working just fine until I upgraded Firefox and Zotero...

Any advice?
  • Is PythonExt listed as installed in Tools->Add-ons->Extensions? Is Uninstall an option? (Don't click it—just let us know if it's available and not grayed out.)
  • Simon posts a solution to what sounds like the same problem here:
    http://forums.zotero.org/discussion/8725/no-sign-of-zotero-in-word-or-open-office/#Comment_40470
  • Dan - Yes, there is an option for "uninstall" in PythonExt.

Adamsmith - Thanks, but when I copy and paste the link (applescript://com.apple.scripteditor?action=new&script=set%20W2008_SCRIPT_NAMES%),
    "Script editor" shows up, and it asks me to choose application. I don't know which application to choose. Office 2008? But it doesn't let me open Office 2008...
  • Just press OK when the dialog appears.
  • I clicked OK in the Script Editor without choosing application and then clicked "Run," but an error message showed up, "Syntax Error - A unknown token can't go after this identifier." What should I do??
  • We just released plug-in version 3.0a3, which should fix this issue. Try going to Tools->Add-ons->Extensions and click "Find Updates." If you're still having issues, report back here.
  • I updated to 3.0a3, but it didn't work. I got the error message:

"The Zotero Mac Word Integration is complete, but a necessary component does not appear to be loaded properly. Zotero can attempt to correct this for you. A Firefox restart will be required. Continue?"

I clicked OK, and Firefox was restarted, but it didn't work. What's next?
  • What exactly didn't work? Do you still get the same error message? Were the scripts not installed in Word (after restarting)? Do you get an error message when you try to use the scripts?
  • Yes, I still get the same error message:
    "Zotero MacWord Integration Error - The Zotero Mac Word Integration is complete, but a necessary component does not appear to be loaded properly. Zotero can attempt to correct this for you. A Firefox restart will be required. Continue?"

Even if I click "OK" to respond to the message above and Firefox gets restarted, the same error message keeps popping up on the screen until I click on "Cancel."

When I try adding citation in Word (after restarting Word), I get the following error message:
    "Zotero Integration Error - Firefox could not load the component required to communicate with your word processor. Please ensure that the appropriate Firefox extension is installed, then try again."

In the meantime, I installed Zotero MacWord Integration 3.0a4 hoping that it would help, but nothing has changed. I checked all the other updates, and everything seems to be updated.

Also, I tried Script Editor (applescript://com.apple.scripteditor?action=new&script=set%20W2008_SCRIPT_NAMES%) and tried to run "set w2008_SCRIPT_NAMES%", but I get the message, "Syntax Error - A unknown token can't go after this identifier."

Please help. Thank you!
  • I have EXACTLY the same problem as hanae.tsukada.

Marc
  • Can both of you provide error reports (after triggering this error) using the Report Errors feature?
  • Hi Simon,

My Report ID is 47345364.

I am not sure if I should have tried adding citation in Word before generating this report ID. I just made this ID after Firefox indicated "Zotero MacWord Integration Error - The Zotero Mac Word Integration is complete, but a necessary component does not appear to be loaded properly. Zotero can attempt to correct this for you. A Firefox restart will be required. Continue?" (I responded "Continue," it failed to correct.)
  • Thanks for the error report. Alas, our testing confirms that PythonExt, upon which Zotero MacWord Integration depends, is not working properly on older PowerPC Macs. We're currently looking for a fix, and will keep you posted.
  • edited September 21, 2009
    We have a solution for you guys.

We've fixed things so that PythonExt that will work with your computers, and posted the fixed copy on our site. The installation instructions are a little convoluted due to some lingering bugs in PythonExt, but here goes:

1) In Tools->Add-ons->Extensions, click the "Uninstall" button next to PythonExt.
    2) Restart Firefox. You should get an error message stating that PythonExt is corrupted or incompletely deleted. Press OK to completely delete it.
    3) Firefox will restart again. You'll see an error message stating that Zotero MacWord Integration requires PythonExt. Ignore it.
    4) Install the updated version of PythonExt from here.
    5) Restart Firefox and enjoy.
  • Thank you so much for such a speedy fix. This has been very timely for me and saved a bit of hassle.
  • Thanks guys!

I've watting for using my zotero with my word 2008 in Mac (tiger) for a while. This last post made my day.

Manuel
  • Should folks with Intel macs update to the 20090920 PythonExt or is it only necessary for powerPC?
  • amacom73, you should only need to update PythonExt if you're having issues with the plug-ins. Otherwise, there's no benefit in doing so.
  • Thank you so much for your timely help! It worked, finally!
  • Hi
    I tried all of the above and I still can´t get it to work, I have upgraded to F 3.5, installed and reinstalled several times the macword intagration plug-in 3.0a5. The pythonext linked in the above feed in this forum. and when i try inserting a citation a get the message that my macword integration plugin 2.0a2 is not compatible with my version of zotero 2.0b7.2, when that is not the plug-in I have installed. Any clues on what mey be happening? I have generetaed an error report · 65822406. If you have anu clues, I would greatly appreciate. Thanks! I need to send this in for publication very soon...
  • harper, do you have a non-English (Spanish?) version of Word? If so, try my instructions in this thread.
  • 603244021 that is my Report ID. I had a similar problem to the previous posts, but the fix did not work. I am still getting the error message that my Plug-in is not the updated version. When I try to reinstall MacWord Components, a huge, long error reads that an integration error occurred. Please help.
  • Can you generate a report ID after reinstalling MacWord components?
  • I'm having the problem described above but with the following versions:
    FF: 3.6
    Zotero: 2.0rc2
    MacWord Integration: 3.0a8
    PythonExt: 2.6.1.20090330 (which is greyed out)

Error report: 1911192785

I get the same Zotero MacWord integration error message when I open FF. It offers to install the appropriate extension and restart FF, but it ends up becoming a loop I can't get out of unless I click Cancel.
  • Download the zotero.org build of PythonExt from the installation page.
  • edited February 3, 2010
    alawrenc - better to continue this here:
    http://forums.zotero.org/discussion/10752/trouble-with-python-msword-addon-after-update-to-firefox-36/#Item_34

edit: OK - first do what Dan says - if that doesn't work, switch over to the thread I link to.
This discussion has been closed.