Problem with the latest version of Zotero : Word plugin doesn't work anymore ( Mac OS X/Word 2008)

When I try to insert a citation in Word (2008), I get this message :

"This version of the Zotero word processor plugin (2.0a2) is incompatible with the currently installed version of the Zotero Firefox extension (2.0b7.2)"

I have of course tried to install the latest word plugin (which should be 3.0a5).

I am running Firefox 3.0.14 and on Mac OS X (10.5.6).

What is suprising is that before this new version (it was upgrade yesterday on my computer), it worked perfectly well, with Word 2008 and Zotero 2.
What happened ? What can I do ?

Thanks for your help
  • Try going to Tools->Add-ons->Extensions, click "Preferences" next to Zotero MacWord Integration, and click "Reinstall Word Components". Do you get any kind of error message?
  • No. It says that it was reinstalled successfully. But then I still get exactly the same error message.
    I have also tried to go back to the older version of Zotero, but it seems to be impossible.
  • Do you have a non-English version of Word installed?
  • Yes. a French one.
  • I'm guessing that you probably have a Microsoft User Data directory in your Documents folder, and the Zotero scripts are probably getting installed in there. You can:

1) Delete the Microsoft User Data directory, if it's empty, and click the "Reinstall Word Components" button again. (You'll be asked where to put the scripts; you should select the French equivalent of ~/Documents/Microsoft User Data/Word Script Menu Items.)
    2) Move the scripts from Microsoft User Data/Word Script Menu Items to the French equivalent.

Unless there are other files in the Microsoft User Data directory, I'd recommend the former option, since it means that future updates to the Zotero Word plug-in will be installed properly.
  • Thanks for your help, it is now working !!
    The problem was due to the fact that I had two versions of Word (a French and an English one), and the Zotero scripts were installed in the English version.

I
  • Simon!
    You did it!!!!, thanks for replying in less than 10 minutes, it was an easy fix but was going berzerk. I do, in fact, use the spanish version of word 2008.
    I now have no excuse to submit my paper ;-)