Zotero 7 Beta: Selecting Part of Highlighted Text Stopped Working

Holding down shift key no longer work to select part of highlighted text.
Not sure from which version, but it used to work in early betas, but not in 7.0.0-beta.32.
  • That'd be in the updated reader. We'll fix — thanks.
  • I might be misremembering, but I think this has been fixed in subsequent betas. However, it again doesn't work in 7.0.0-beta.40. Sorry if I am mistaken.
  • That's been changed to Alt/Option, which is more consistent with other readers and allows for other behavior that depends on Shift to work.
  • Oh, I see. I have missed this change, sorry for this.
  • edited September 23, 2023
    Thanks. I was scratching my head out too and was about to file a bug report.
  • On my Mac, neither shift nor option works for text selection in Zotero 7, beta 40. But I would much prefer shift, as it matches the behaviour in widely used programs such as Microsoft Word and Adobe Acrobat.
  • edited September 23, 2023
    @mschwarze: I think you’re misunderstanding this. This is just about selecting text that's already highlighted, since a regular click would just select the annotation itself. That used to be done with Shift and now is done with Alt/Option, specifically to allow other text-selection behaviors involving Shift to work (whether or not they’re implemented now).

For anything else, start a new thread.
  • @dstillman: Yeah, you're right, sorry. I was thinking of the normal text selection with Shift + arrow keys, which does not seem to work at the moment.
  • edited October 8, 2023
    That's been changed to Alt/Option, which is more consistent with other readers and allows for other behavior that depends on Shift to work.
    I was wondering why shift no longer worked, and came across this. For me, alt does not work as well, since my window manager (on Linux) uses alt-click-drag for moving a window. I believe that's the case for several window managers.

My workaround for now is to select a superset of the desired text (by starting from outside the highlight), pasting into another application, then copying the actual desired text.
  • I too was wondering why it didn't work - unfortunately, I'm also using Linux so the Alt key doesn't work for selecting text and just moves the window instead :(
  • Linux users: try Super + Alt + cursor for that. Let me know if that works.
  • super + alt + cursor works for me. Thanks!