Zotero refresh ruins/resets bibliography formatting - MS Word Plugin

I am working with the Zotero plugin in MS Word. I want my bibliography to be formatted with 1.5 spacing and hanging indents, and I can do this by adjusting the formatting in MS Word. However, whenever I hit "Refresh" in the Zotero menu bar to update my references, the bibliography formatting resets, and the bibliography goes back to single space and no indents. Is there a way to preserve the bibliography formatting, even if I need to add/remove references and refresh the document?

Thank you.
  • Edit the "Bibliography" style in Word.
  • edited July 19, 2023
    If you're using the Zotero 7 beta, wait for the new beta to be released, which duplicates with https://forums.zotero.org/discussion/106215/zotero-7-refreshing-the-bibliography-will-overwrite-the-bibliography-style-in-word#latest, resolved at https://github.com/zotero/zotero/issues/3211.

If you're using Zotero 6, it seems that Word for MAC has this problem (I'm not sure if the problem still exists), please @ the previous layer and describe the environment information.

Of course, as dstillman said, you need to change the "bibliography" style in word, rather than just selecting the bibliography and changing the formatting.
  • edited July 19, 2023
    There's no problem in Word for Mac. Let's not confuse things prematurely — the default answer here, in the absence of any information from @spradoirwincenter to the contrary (e.g., that they're using the Zotero 7 beta), is exactly what I said: the Bibliography style in Word needs to be adjusted. If you just modify the text formatting, the styling will be reset on refresh.

(In any case, the problem in Zotero 7 is now fixed in the latest beta.)
  • I don't know how to adjust Bibliography style in word, can you help me out? I'm not seeing any options that allow me to change the formatting in the "References" menu. Thanks.
  • edited July 19, 2023
    Never mind, I just figured it out. For anyone following along, you have to go through the "Styles" menu in the "Home" tab. Thanks!