Fireefox freezing

Just downloaded the latest version. 2.7.1 and its causing FF to freeze whenever I open Zotero. It says "Warning: Unresponsive Script" and then prompts to stop script.
  • What's the filename and line number?

http://www.zotero.org/support/kb/unresponsive_script_warning
  • I'm not quite sure. I tried the suggestions on the page you linked to but as soon as I opened Zpotero, Firefox froze for a minute or two, and then as soon as I took a snapshot of a page it did the same. Here is the error info:

[JavaScript Error: "[Exception... "'Unexpected status code 404 for request null/B9KWDPXS in Zotero.Sync.Storage.Session.ZFS.downloadFile()' when calling method: [nsIWebProgressListener::onStateChange]" nsresult: "0x8057001e (NS_ERROR_XPC_JS_THREW_STRING)" location: "" data: no]"]

[JavaScript Error: "[Exception... "'Unexpected status code 404 for request null/B9KWDPXS in Zotero.Sync.Storage.Session.ZFS.downloadFile()' when calling method: [nsIWebProgressListener::onStateChange]" nsresult: "0x8057001e (NS_ERROR_XPC_JS_THREW_STRING)" location: "" data: no]"]

Thanks, A
  • Here is the report ID too: 2062488461
  • Is there any way to revert to the older version? Zotero is pretty much unusable for me now as it freezes Firefox for some 2 minutes or so every time I open it.
  • edited September 17, 2009
    If syncing is causing trouble for you, turn off auto-sync for now in the Sync pane of the Zotero prefs, or try turning off just file sync (which is what the errors above are related to).

We're working on fixing those 404 errors.

If you reset the setting you changed (right-click, Reset), you would also be able to tell us the line number.
  • Thanks! I just turned off file sync and I can use it again without freezing. I tried right-clicking the reset tab but nothing happens...
  • No, I mean right-click on the dom.max_chrome_script_run_time setting in about:config and click Reset, which might cause the unresponsive script warning to appear again.
  • That number is 20. Though when I reset it, the green sync arrow keeps spinning and freezing Firefox, ultimately causing the yellow error triangle to appear.
  • By line number I meant the line number (and the filename) in the unresponsive script warning message. But if you're not seeing that anymore, that's fine.

What's the error message when you click the yellow triangle?
  • This one:

[JavaScript Error: "[Exception... "'Background sync resulted in conflict manual sync required' when calling method: [nsIDOMEventListener::handleEvent]" nsresult: "0x8057001e (NS_ERROR_XPC_JS_THREW_STRING)" location: "" data: no]"]
  • Click the sync icon to perform a manual sync.
  • edited September 18, 2009
    I turned off auto sync in prefs and when I manually synced, it froze for a little (and the computer fan revved up) and then I got a Zotero screen with six conflicts to resolve. After I went through those everything seems ok.
  • You should be able to turn auto-sync back on (though if you're still getting the 404 error you can hold off on file syncing until we fix that). The reason it was freezing for you was because it was repeatedly trying to do a large sync but needed manual intervention (hence the "manual sync required" message). Now that it's gone through, subsequent syncs shouldn't freeze the browser.

We'll clarify the "manual sync required" error message and also make it not retry an auto-sync until a manual sync is performed.
  • Thanks so much. By the way, when I turned the "sync attachment files in My Library using Zotero" back on, the following message came on: "Script: chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/data/item.js:99"
  • I am also getting freezing with new upgrade. It does not happen when I open it just when I try to link a file to it or create a note. There is no definitive pattern nor do I get an error message, just the spinning circle (MAC 10.6.1). I have all the latest components installed