Zotero completely unable to download pdf articles

I have been using Zotero for a couple of months. I have the setting to "Automatically attach associated PDFs and other files when saving items" checked in Settings. However, Zotero seems completely unable to do this, even for articles that have a PDF freely available. Even more, when I select "Find available PDF", it fails 100% of the time, even for articles with a freely available and readily accessible PDF. I have several hundred sources entered using the Safari extension, and not a single PDF. Any solutions? Recommendations?
  • Can you provide a Debug ID from Zotero for an attempt to save an article with an open-access PDF that fails to download the file?
  • I just did that. Thanks.
  • You need to actually tell us the Debug ID.
  • edited May 22, 2023
    You're saving from PubMed, which doesn't offer files. Saving from the PubMed Central link should work fine, and downloads the OA file for me.
  • edited May 22, 2023
    Actually, Zotero downloads the OA file for me on the PubMed page too.

Are you sure you haven't disabled PDF saving in the General pane of the Zotero settings?
  • Yes, it actually does: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC9350707/.

If you tell me that you need to navigate to the pdf page, then Zotero downloads the pdf but NOTHING else: no authors, nothg.
  • PubMed isn't the same as PubMed Central. Your Debug ID was for saving from the former, which doesn't have files — it just has a link to PMC. In any case, Zotero will still look for OA files no matter where you save from, and that works on PubMed too.

The issue here is just that you're saving to an open public group, which doesn't allow files.