Add tag to note from annotation, not include the tag in the note

Hello,

In the past, I have been using citavi and I am currently trying to establish some of my citavi-workflow in zotero. In Citavi, i was organising notes/annotations ("knowledge items" in citavi) relatively independent from their source, by adding tags tho the knowledge items and organising them according to the outline of my papers.

I am trying work with zotero notes in a similar way.

I really like the "note from annotation"-feature in the pdf reader. I also like how you can customize the way annotations are added to the note using the note template. E.g. it is a great option to include the tags, that I set in the annotations, to the note.

But is there there a way to not only include the tags from the annoation in the note-text, but automatically add the tag from the annotation to the note-element when creating a note from an annotation? That would be great.

• edited March 6, 2023
    (Please don't post across multiple threads for the same issue. Your other messages have been deleted.)
  • But is there there a way to not only include the tags from the annoation in the note-text, but automatically add the tag from the annotation to the note-element when creating a note from an annotation?
    No, this isn't currently possible, but it's a fairly common request.

Could you say more about how you would use this?
  • I would definitely like to see a feature like this. I believe that must be the case for most researchers that I don't usually do my reading on the PC, but (while looking forward to the official Android app) I use apps like Koreader or Foxit where I can only highlight and add notes to the highlights.
    It would be a great feature if Zotero could automatically move the tags (indicated, for instance, by a "#" sign like #tag) in the notes linked to the highlights made on another device/pdf reader into the tags of its native PDF reader associated with the document.
  • edited March 12, 2023
    Thank you for your Support @dstillman!

My use-case would be for instance: Commenting or summarising a concept that is covered by a number of different papers. While reading the papers, I would mark the lines where the concept is mentioned and and add a tag for that concept in the annotations, then convert the annotations to notes.

With the tags from the annotations automatically synced to the note-tags I could filter my library for notes with that tag and then review the concept across the differnet sources. And more importantly I could also revise the tag-system; maybe add a subcategory or exclude one annotation from that tag.

Does this make sense to you?

I have to admit: I fear that I would stretch zotero too much with this kind of use-case. I am thinking of setting up a personal knowledge management in obsidian. Still, it would be very useful to keep the tagging in the annotations synced with the tagging in the knowledge management system.
  • Update:
    I found some templates for the obsidian plugin "zotero-integration" that do exactly what I was looking for:

https://forum.obsidian.md/t/zotero-integration-import-templates/36310

This article explains a set-up step-by-step. https://publish.obsidian.md/history-notes/01+Notetaking+for+Historians.